1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superman is Gone.....And the Emperor is Here !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Dec 2, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Did not see this posted yet........

If duplicate, please lock this up.

IMHO, a nice recap of Yao Ming's NBA life, and his rise to superstardom !!........... :D

2. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

ming dynasty. :D

nuff said. :eek:

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I just got done watching "Year of the Yao".

So inspired right now I could jam on a 12 ft hoop.

I love Yao - he is everything that's right about this world, and he deserves all the accolades and good fortune that comes his way.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Does "ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh" mean anything in either cantonese or mandarin ? I was wondering this because I was walking on the west side of Bellaire a few weeks ago and I accidently said that phrase out loud and a little asian boy ran up to me, screamed, then bowed (conceding some point) and handed me an egg salad sandwich.

[​IMG]

I apologize...

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

As for the article... I don't even know why people are still talking about Shaq. He's done... He's a ghost. There is no question Yao Ming is the best center in the NBA. Yao is in the MVP hunt...Shaq will be platooning the center position in Miami with Alonzo Mourning.

6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

7. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Great article, Pryuen!
    For one, I still wish Yao would be more aggressive, on offense or on defense, and especially on defense, actually. I am sick of seeing highlight dunks on Yao played over and over on ESPN. I want to see Yao elbow and beat down these midgets for even trying. So what if he gets a few flagrant fouls? If Yao gets the reputation of hurting the midgets, he will get more respect, his workload on defense will be easier (he just has to stand there), and he can spend most of his energy on offense, ultimately making him more successful.

C'mon, Yao, you can do it!

OK, I know this is just wishful thinking. Yao will be who he is, skillful and nice. Life just ain't perfect ...

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

there's something called a bad reputation. Artest and Stephen Jackson has it. Bonzi has it, (poor) Kermit Washington had it (through no fault of his own though) and of course Dennis Rodman had quite a lot of it. Yao does not have it and does not need it. Banging down players get you nothing but disrespect from other players and maybe from your own team mates.

9. cook

cook Member

YAO ,next MVP :D :)

10. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

very funny! :D

btw, i am wondering what it means, too

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So we're posting articles from <a href="http://www.tuftsobserver.org/special/about.html">student newspapers now</a>. lol

I vaguely recall a Tufts article in Yao's first year. I think that was a big article concerning the ‘ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh'' comment.

12. bjshot

bjshot Member

MING dynasty is an emperor. JAMES is a king. Who's better?

13. boby

boby Member

Are you kidding me? Emperor is way cooler than king.
    An emperor can have literally thousands of women (or wives), how many women can a king has? One.
    King has to obey the law, while the emperor is the law.

14. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

A good read.
    But to be fair, I think Stevie and Cat deserve more love.

KH

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"They did pass the ball to him. Just because it's been written a lot doesn't make it true"

16. lcbraz

lcbraz Member

I can only speak and understand a little of Chinese, but when Shaq said "ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh" it sounded more like badly pronounced

"qi, shang yao hua ya shi"

That may be actually correct given that Shaq speaks Chinese with a Louisiana accent.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I like the praise for Yao but that article otherwise was very poorly written and filled with Francis hate.

Except that the first Yao / Shaq matchup the Rockets won with Yao getting a few blocks on Shaq and to cap it off the game was sealed when Francis made an assist to Yao for a dunk. Hardly the one sided competition portrayed and hardly the selfish Stevie.

Yet Francis, Mobley and Yao all played two seasons together including making it to the playoffs in a very hard fought series against the WC champions Lakers. For that matter it wasn't a sure thing that T-Mac was going to defer to Yao. I remember a lot of concern about "Me-Mac" when the trade was made and that possibly T-Mac wasn't going to play second banana to Yao.

Its great that Yao is dominating its great that T-Mac is distributing but that doesn't mean the Yao / Francis teams were so dreadful. In fact under Both Yao / T-Mac the Rockets have been to the playoffs so far exactly the same amount of time as under Yao / Francis.

#17 Sishir Chang, Dec 2, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  18. hangxy

hangxy Member

U r as stupid as O'Neal.

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]

20. lcbraz

lcbraz Member

Sorry for the late translation, but I had first to check with my relatives to see what "qi, shang yao hua ya shi" meant. It means

"Please, Boss want slippery duck fece$"

Someone with a better ear for Chinese may want to comment.