1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Who Wins Super Bowl LVIII?

1. Chiefs

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 49ers

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

lol god the 49ers keep stacking up Ls even after the game is over

3. Buck Turgidson

This is some kneejerk b.s.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's more than kneejerk, it's pure narcissism.

If anyone deserves to be booted off the payroll after that game it's him. The defense played their asses off.

5. Buck Turgidson

I welcome "Defensive Consultant Steve Wilks" on next seasons Texans

ROCKSS, MadMax and DonnyMost like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. Buck Turgidson

8-10 people shot

Just another day in 'Merica

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'm seeing mixed reactions. Defense played well in the 1st half. In the late game, Shanahan had to take a TO because he didn't like how the defense was set. Also some mentions that the schemes were very vanilla. Many fans think the defense was good on talent alone since DC seems to be a rotating door in SF.

I don't know enough about SF to honestly say if he was good or not. But it may not be a knee jerk reaction.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not shocked by this but would have put the chances at <50% Wilks would be fired.

They need someone fiery who can rouse the emotions of the players, slap 'em hard on the rump when they make a play and growl at them when they mess up. Wilks' soft touch doesn't match the players on the team. This was evident very early and the lack of intensity of defensive players was openly addressed recently.

IMO, this is definitely NOT a knee-jerk reaction to the SB loss or trying to find a scapegoat. Kyle Shanahan doesn't operate that way. Besides, the defense improved in the SB until they got tired and Kyle knows he will be blasted for making this decision.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, I don’t think KC is going for it on 4th down on their own 34, knowing if they don’t get it SF is immediately in FG position.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

with the shooting, this is why we can't have nice things.

i'm surprised it doesn't happen more often considering the amount of people gathered for these type of things.

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Props to whoever during the game called Wilks was going to be fired after the OT timeout.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was one of them, I think.

People call it kneejerk or "narcissism" (? @DonnyMost ) on Shanahan's part, but the defense underperformed all. freaking. year. And I think the DC's goose was cooked after the awful first half of that Detroit game. The defense was playing like a bad juco team for the first 30 minutes.

And yeah, late in the Superbowl, the two coaches were completely at odds. So, call Shanahan what you will, but the defense really underperformed this year. Maybe Bosa was lazy and out of shape. Maybe the linebackers lost a step. Maybe Hufunga was more important than anyone knew. Or, maybe, the DC wasn't the right fit for this defense. (shrug)

16. B-Bob

I'm honestly surprised. I love the KC area and I've been to arrowhead a couple of times, and this event today makes me really, really sad.
    Americans shouldn't have to put up with this kind of ****, but of course, we do. We cannot have nice things, as you say. I agree.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I said "kneejerk" then Donny said "narcissism".

Was the DC the problem (yes, maybe?) or was the OC (that's the HC) the problem? HC ain't gonna fire himself.

I can't imagine how frustrated 49er fans are.

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Great post with an actual understanding of the situation instead of reactionary, emotional nonsense. Wilks' problems began early on and his firing was not about losing the SB. However, Kyle definitely can be blamed for hiring Wilks in the first place.

Bosa clearly started the season out of shape. I don't believe either Warner or Greenlaw have lost a step. Truth is, it was Demeco that was more important than anyone knew.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I'm pretty sure Greenlaw lost a step that game, outside of being hurt all year.

20. B-Bob

Heard Steve Young on the radio with a perfect distillation of the SB for the 49ers. They had 3 series of 3-and-out to start the 3rd quarter (apparently), and that was the key to the ballgame. The team had owned 3rd quarters all year, and that's when they left way too much room for Mahomes. Purdy played just fine, I thought, especially avoiding all that pressure for the most part, but they needed to put some drives together in that 3rd quarter.

So a lot of that, you have to say, falls on Shanahan, Purdy, and the sort of increasingly average offensive line.

The 49ers fans in the Bay Area seem kind of resigned. I've even heard people (on air and off air) comparing this 49ers team to the Houston Rockets who "had to wait until Jordan was gone." That's how they feel about Mahomes (even if they don't quite know their Rockets' history.

Just like: shrug, Mahomes is Jordan, what are you gonna do. etc.

ROCKSS, IBTL and Buck Turgidson like this.