1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl LVIII

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Who Wins Super Bowl LVIII?

1. Chiefs

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. 49ers

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Super Bowl that I did not want to have happen but here we are nonetheless,

Chiefs (aka Chefs) vs 49ers - 49ers are opening as a slight favorite - game will be on February 11, 2024. Who do you got?

If I wind up watching (which most likely I will at least a little bit), I have to pull for the 49ers - I feel dirty doing that but no way in hell I can pull for pretty boy Mahomes, Kelce and his girl, big fat Andy, and Jake from State Farm. At least 49ers have Mike Shanahan's son Kyle coaching them.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I picked Chiefs b/c defense and, IMHO, superior in-game coaching over Reid's career versus Shanahan's career. Why don't people like Andy Reid?

Anyway, sentimentally, I would like the 49ers to win. I follow them closely and I like a lot of their players. But they peaked at the wrong time, looks like. And now their defense has become very average somehow.

Unlike a lot of national media and armchair folx, I think Purdy is legit, but not as legit and skilled as Mahomes. There is a tiny chance that Mahomes throws a couple of picks though, slightly more likely (IMHO) than Purdy throwing a couple.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I always say there are three types of QBs
    1. That will win you the game
    2. That will lose you a game
    3. Those that won't do either.

Mahommes is 1 and Purdy has been 3 . .. but IMO he was a number 1 yesterday

I am picking the Chiefs because they won't fold like Detroit did.
    I think Coaching is the difference as well

I would not be SHOCKED if the 49ers won . . . (unless they do the Chiefs like Green Bay did the Cowboys)

Rocket River

B-Bob and Manny Ramirez like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Curious why you say purdy is not likely to throw a couple picks when he threw at least 3 that GB dropped, threw one and also had one that the lions dropped. His GB game was a horror show, despite going against probably the worst DC in the league. He was horrid against the lions (a bad defense) for half the game, and won because the lions couldn’t catch anything

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm rooting for the Niners

solid, B-Bob and Manny Ramirez like this.
  6. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

rooting for the niners but think the chiefs win it. hard to bet against mahomes

B-Bob and Manny Ramirez like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mahomes is my fav QB outside CJ if course.
    I always root for Texans quarterbacks first.
    That being said, I wouldn't care if Purdy had a great game too, and they took the crown away from the Chiefs and shut up those KC fans for a year. My hunch is that KC's defense and Mahomes will just be too tough to beat, and the best team in the NFC just isn't good enough to beat the best in the AFC.

#7 deb4rockets, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Saeculum, B-Bob and Manny Ramirez like this.
  8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love this matchup because I follow the 49ers very closely and I’m a huge fan of both Andy Reid and Mahomes.

Still not over the Chiefs beating the Ravens. An incredible win.

The downside to liking both teams so much is my passion about the outcome is low. My heart should speak shortly after kickoff.

Aside from the usual “turnovers” and “whoever controls the line of scrimmage” stuff, I think Brock Purdy will be the bellwether for the game as he was against the Lions.

solid and Manny Ramirez like this.
  9. noize

noize Contributing Member

Seriously is there another QB currently in the NFL today, that you would put in the same league/tier as Mahomes? I remembered 5 years how the NFL would say the league is in great hand because they have young and competitive QBs in Burrow, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Trevor Lawrence who would becomes stars in the league. Some of these guys have fizzled out a bit, and I believe Mahomes is one of a kind and stand alone at the top. What do you guys think?

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Mahomes pretty much sits alone at the top. It's his league.

That being said there's a huge logjam behind him on the 2nd tier and pretty much everybody else is collecting checks and trying not to steer the team into a ditch.

The only QB I would even consider taking over Mahomes is Burrow and that's only once a week and after a few beers.

Major likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Burrow would be the one guy I think that has a legit chance to be close to that tier, but he (and his receivers) just can't seem to stay healthy. Like Mahomes, Burrow's a guy who you think will can score anytime he really needs to.

12. MadMax

Genuinely excited about this game. More so next year when CJ is playing but still. :)

cbass and B-Bob like this.
  13. B-Bob

b/c I watched every SF game this year, and Purdy is a lot better than most people understand right now. Absent rain and having his arm hit, he doesn't throw too many bad picks, and we won't have any rain in the Stupor Bowl.

Meanwhile, Mahomes threw a bunch of dumb picks this year compared to his normal baseline. I watched those also.

But hey, we can disagree! That's fine. Cheers.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. MadMax

I imagine my grandfather woulda been rooting for the Niners so he could see the fireworks after the parade from the “good side” of the Rock :)

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

Damn man. Probably.

[​IMG]

MadMax likes this.
  16. MadMax

I’m at peace with it. More importantly my dad is. I hope to meet him one day :) (thanks a million, again!)

B-Bob likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

McCaffrey is talented enough to keep the 49ers in control of the game flow. The Chiefs will try to circle him out, but you can run on the Chiefs loaded box and gash it with speed. The 49ers will run the WR screens for huge chunks.

I'm willing to make the fatal mistake of pointing to this moment as the end of the Mahomes era.

49ers 20 Chiefs 18

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's always been my favorite for sure. For me personally, I put him on a tier above all those guys. He's just different, and fun to watch if you aren't playing against him. He has those skills others try to emulate. Mahomes is the master of looking one way and throwing another. He's the type of guy who can make the impossible seem easy, and you can never count him out to come back and beat you in the end. That being said, I wouldn't care if they lost the Superbowl this year. No Superbowl means much to me until we finally get there. One day baby! Just hope I'm alive to see it.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Chiefs beating the Ravens really stunned me. The Ravens made so many fatal errors, the kind of errors the Chiefs have been making during the regular season. Last Sunday they played a near flawless game. Unlikely to do it again. SF is grinding back to their mid season form. I think they will win it .

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member