1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl 51 - Houston? (2017)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, May 6, 2013.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

after what the marlins did its not surprising that the Dolphins didn't get the funding.

3. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

who will the QB for the Texans in 2016-17?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Schaub will just be entering his prime!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2017 sounds like the Jetsons future. I want to take my flying car to the game.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Tim Tebow

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Awesome. Now just have to hope Texans make it there in 2017.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think there was something in the Texans forum about this. Not totally sure though. Too lazy to look it up, too.

It'd be awesome. Let's go for no titty exposure this time, though.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Lets go niners

10. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

niners new stadium in 2016 woot

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah FIFY

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

A ha, lol

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This is when you blame the NFL owners and corporate officials...in the end, as many have asstutely mentioned...the Superbowl is just a giant party thrown by the hosting city that has to bite the bullet on costs, etc...

Till major market cities respond and really take a stand, expect more of the same by the NFL...

15. da1

da1 Member

NFL should demand transit infrastructure improvements.

16. Icehouse

It depends on what your definition of "that big" is. The Controller's office said the last SB brought $129M to the city. I'd say that is a big ecomonic booster.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

GDP of Indianapolis is 80billion. 130 million represents 0.15% of that. Do you think having the superbowl made more people want to go Indianapolis, or did they go for the superbowl. Of the 130 million how much of that went to the city? In case you want an idea:

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/loca...s-lost-1-million-from-super-bowl#.T7cC6r-16Hk
    Usually the NFL asks for rebates from the city:

https://thelensnola.org/2013/04/19/...800000-in-tax-breaks-for-super-bowl-spending/

Obviously the hotels and restaurant businesses did well, but what about other businesses how much do they benefit? Do they get a boost or do they suffer from the road closures and delays caused by the Superbowl?

Furthermore how many local fans can even go the game. Would you want to spend 3-5k to sit in the nose bleeds?

18. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Start small, man. I just want a hover board.

19. Icehouse

So you are saying you don't think an extra $130M is good? I can see the agrument if you are building stuff solely for the SB. But in our case, the infrastructure is already here. So why not try to attract huge events? The overall economic impact is not negative. What do we have to build or what costs would we incur specifically for the SB to cause us to lose $$ like Indy?

Outside of hotels and restaurants, I'm pretty sure the local malls, parking lot owners, and any venue that can host a party all benefit. I'm sure any business that appreciates more tourists benefits. What businesses do you think suffer?

As far as going to the game, most of the folks I know that have been to a SB went to the one in their home city, since they didn't have to pay any travel costs. You will wind up paying 3-5K to sit in the nose bleeds anytime you go to a SB.

Edit: And per the article, Indy expected to lose around 800K on the SB but still wanted to have it for branding reasons, and expects more $$ to come going forward. I think it's fair to say once you show you can host a big event like the SB then it could help you get future big events.