1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Suns say Ebi not ready for the NBA"

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rainmaker, Jun 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

has the deadline passed? I think so? did he stay in?

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Funny they say that. Because for the last 2 years, they took a Houstonian who wasn't ready for the NBA, named Alton Ford.

Another Houstonian, Jake Voskuhl, one might say he isn't ready for the NBA...

If the Suns pass up on Ebi, he may burn them (pun intended).

4. Live

Live Member

Remember, this is an AZ paper even admitting\alluding to the fact that the Suns don't want to "rock the boat" with the U of A. No surprise that the Suns are encouraging Edi to honor his U of A commitment.

However, I can't say that I disagree with them. I'd like to see Edi go to school for at least a year or 2.

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

LTF - no word on Ebi as of 5pm, the deadline. Insider says likely in, but there's no official word.

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Insider now has him as IN the draft.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Deadline's passed. Ebi and Perkins are both available in the draft. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on either of these guys with our 2nd rounder. They'll sit the bench this year, and won't really get in the way. If they're not available, we should pick a Euro PG.

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

If Ebi is still on the board at 44 the Rockets have to take him. Ebi might not have the body yet, but he does have the desire to be the best he can.

9. ron

ron Member

I'm not shocked to hear that, because he's so damn skinny. But I think it will be smart to pick him because of the potential. When he becomes stronger and more experienced, I believe he will be very good. Now he's one of the best high school seniors and that's not bad... I haven't seen him play, but I think if Ebi goes to the NBA, he will see few playing minutes the first 2-3 seasons, but then get a breakthrough ala Jermaine O'Neal, when he's bigger and better.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

1) Ford was a 2nd rounder. Seeing as how they don't have a 2nd rounder this year and obviously feel (like every other team) that the mid-1st is too high for Ebi, it's not the same situation.

2) The Bulls drafted Voskuhl originally and he was traded to Phoenix in a later trade. Wasn't Jake a senior anyway?

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

1. There probably are only 5-10 players in this draft who are "NBA-ready". Meaning more htan likely no matter who Phx drafts, he will not be NBA-ready. One only needs to look back to last year's Phx draft pick to find an example of a non-NBA ready player, Casey Jacobsen. Maybe I'm too "sensitive" about anti-Ebi comments, since I'm a big fan of his.

2. My comment regarding Jake was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I mentioned him because like Ebi, he's from Houston. I was indirectly stating that Jake sucks, by my "he's not ready" comment, despite Jake being 25 or 26 years old.

12. Jauquinsux

Jauquinsux Member

I've played agaisnt Nbudi Ebi this season and the last in a Private School Tournament. Actually one of the guys on my team is good friends with him. He tells me how cocky Ebi is, but he has a tremendous work ethic. Ebi may be a stick now, but with professional stegth and conditioning, I don't see why he can't be great. He dominated in High School against us, but I never would have thought he'd make the jump. He must have really dominated in those Nike Camps. If he is available at 44 we should take him. I wouldnt want to make the same Rashard Lewis Mistake.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

what school?

14. mfclark

mfclark Member

I kinda figured that about the latter comment after I posted mine...Voskuhl isn't a good player by any standards, he's just tall. My bad there.

And the first point is true, but Phoenix isn't really hurting for a power forward, not with Amare around. Neither he nor especially Ebi, though, have the size to play center (especially in the West).

He probably should go to college, and that's what the Suns were trying to tell him to do so that he would be a better selection in a year or two. They just had an unconventional method to doing so, making it seem like an affront. He may well be a good player, and I'll bet the Suns understand that. But, he's certainly not going to be there for 3-5 years.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I, in no way see Ebi as a PF. He has the skills to be a SF, not a PF. He's 6 ft 9, which is probably the only reason in hell that people think he is a projected PF. Remember how Rashard Lewis was a "center" in high school?

Ebi reminds me very much of KG, minus the freakish athleticism. Ebi can pass, shoot from downtown, and handle the rock, as well as any 6 ft 9 guy not named KG. Obviously his weakness, no pun intended, is his small frame. Which is why I wonder where people think he will be a PF.

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

I think they figure he'll bulk up into the 240 range, which is passable for the new breed of power forwards we see. I do agree, though, that his skills are better suited to being an SF, at least right now. Though, in that realm, you can see why Phoenix wouldn't need him or bother to work him out as well: they have Shawn Marion, who probably isn't a horrible comp for Ebi down the road.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't see many, if any similarities between Marion and Ebi. Marion is more athletic than Ebi. Ebi is much-more skilled, imo than Marion. They both can rebound well for SFs I guess.

There is no way Ebi is going to be 240 lbs. If you do that, then you are pretty much going to deteriorate all of his skills, that make him a good prospect to begin with. Why draft Ebi, if you are looking for a PF? You would have to turn him 180 degrees to be a prototype-NBA player.

That would be like the Rockets trying to make EG into a SG.

It just makes zero sense to me why someone would draft Ebi as a PF.

18. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

When's the last time a guy gained 40-60 pounds of muscle in the NBA?

19. silentfan

silentfan Member

Dunno, but I can tell you the last time someone gained 40-60 pounds of fat in the NBA and actually got better.

20. tozai

tozai Member

Ebi is a small forward. Unlike Eddie, Ebi actually can dribble and move. There is nothing powerful about Ebi's game, no serious post-up moves. He's a SF all the way, but he definitely should've stayed a year.