1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns owner takes mic mid-game, apologizes to Phoenix fans for Spurs keeping players home

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2014.

1. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Seems backwards to me. He should be asking the fans to send him an envelope with an extra $5 ticket cost because the Suns pulled off such a huge victory. I mean, I like to see big name players, but I'd rather see my team win.

2. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Sarver, and the other owners, shouldn't be charging full price for preseason games anyway. And season ticket holders are forced to buy them. Hypocrite.

3. basketballholic

Perfect PR setup for the Spurs:

After they wipe the floor with PHX on October 31 in PHX, Pops in his post game press conference in PHX apologizes:

“Hey everybody, I want to thank you for coming out tonight. This is not the game you paid your hard-earned money to watch. I apologize for it. And I want you to send me your tickets if you came tonight, with a return envelope, and I’ve got a gift for you on behalf of the Spurs for showing up tonight.”

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They knew they were going on that trip. If they were going to be so damn tired, they shouldn't have scheduled the game in Phoenix. NBA teams set their own preseason schedules.

5. wise_man

wise_man Member

We didn't do that on purpose. Both hardeen and Howard are injured and were being adviced not to play by the respected team doctor. Get ur facts checked.

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

LOL YES

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

You know what happens to coaches who prioritize gratitude over winning?
    [​IMG]

8. dragician

dragician Member

Pop is about winning the ring...

9. dragician

dragician Member

...and it's ok to bench Tim and Manu, they're supposed to retire!!

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's the preseason. Teams have up to 20 players on their roster, around half of which are third string guys trying to make it or stick in the league. They're playing for their future and need every minute. Teams regularly sit their best players is these games. Sarver knows this and is just doing this as a PR stunt.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cool for the suns fans.

If I was pop, I still wouldn't give a **** though. Preseason, Duncan, Ginobli, Parker are old, don't want Leonard to get injured. He has every right to bench his players, he's a coach trying to win a championship, not preseason games.

12. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Are the same people that are criticizing the spurs for holding out Duncan and Ginobli also criticizing the Rockets for not playing Harden and Howard the last two games? Duncan and Ginobli need that rest even more than Harden and Howard.

13. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

You guys aren't getting it, "it's just preseason" is a valid claim if tickets are free.

People still want to see players play, unless there's an injury players should be playing.
    Another thing, pop sitting resting his players is giving him an unfair advantage, Duncan and Ginobili wouldn't be who they are today if they weren't rested so damn much, and they probably wouldn't have the same success they have had.

so the fact that they are selling the fans short for championships shouldn't bode well for the nba, I would be shocked if the nba doesnt do anything about it this year if Pop plans on doing this again.

14. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

The fact that they might NEED rest isnt a valid claim either.

If they can't handle the season, too bad, that's how the nba works, injuries and an old team are supposed to get worn down.

Harden and Howard have ''medical issues' the severity of it is irrelevant. When all your starters don't even show up to a game, that's a problem.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't keep track of that. Did he not sit Duncan and/or Ginobili on home games?

I've always assumed that not showing up on road games is kind of natural because you just tell the players to go home and not to travel with the team. But if it's at home, the players are already home. You don't tell them to go somewhere else.

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

A lot of suns fans were actually upset though.. so even though it is pre-season a lot of people still wanted to see duncan..

17. dragician

dragician Member

This is really an overreaction on the owner's part. The intent was to embarrass coach Pop.

This is the preseason, most teams play their rookies to see how they fit to the team and to the league, and fans know that.

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Morey needs to take the mic during the Lakers game and apologize for trading Jeremy Lin.

19. Swag

Swag Member

this is also the NBA's fault. Why they gotta make the season 82 games long. I think 66 is a good number.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No, he should take the mic during a Suns game in Houston and apologize to Rockets fans for not re-signing Dragic.