1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns exploring trade for Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 2, 2014.

1. dwnkst72

dwnkst72 Member

This is their current gm's first year. he only picked len, not marshall or morris

2. Raven

Raven Member

Makes too much sense to happen.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Come one man I know your smart neigh to understand I was using MILLSAPP as an example, I was saying like yeah suns may not attract a SUPERSTAR name like Howard, melo, Lebron but a SOLID vet that can help win in apply off situation would go there if they prove themselves in playoffs this year. If they get gasol in this trade someone like him may sign this summer for a 2 year $8-9 a year deal for example

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

And are you going to address my comment about the gm?

5. Play07

Play07 Member

Nawh not too much to discuss right now if his team still makes the playoffs this year and has potential to get out the 1st round. So time will tell.

And we Morris is solid which got him his twin brother from us for Canaan, so that's still up in the air until we see what Canaan does here or can get us in a trade.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

My point on the gm is that they suck at drafting, their last 3 lottery picks has resulted in only 1 of them looking like a rotational player in none nba, and now they could have 4 picks in this draft, are you really going to beleive that they can now devolp picks which are worse than the previous 3 years into starter type players?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pointless move for them. It still doesn't make them title contenders--it would only be about getting into the playoffs.

They need to get a strong trade asset for that Okafor contract. Something like a first round draft pick.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Opportunity for the Rockets to get in a 3 way?

Use the situation to flip Lin's negative trade value into a first round pick? A pick which can be packaged with Asik for higher returns?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

That would be stupid given that the bench would be a complete disaster without Lin (even more than it is now). Unless we're getting Dragic back, no thanks.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Despite their record they really don't have many great players or assets.

PJ Tucker, Gerald Green and Channing Frye are rotation players, not difference makers, same with the Morris brothers, and Eric Bledsoe is a Free Agent albeit restricted. As has been mentioned they have draft picks, but none are expected to be that good.

Honestly other than Dragic, Miles Plumlee is the only player I would really value if I were trading with the Suns.

If I were Phoenix I would start looking to consolidate all of the mediocre assets into a few good assets, not wasting one of them trying to make a run at the second round.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think the Lakers give a care about trading Pau to the Suns. They are in the same division but I doubt the Lakers even consider them rivals. If no better deal for either team emerges and the Suns add a llittle sweetner, it will get done.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Do the Lakers like signing injured players or something because Emeka Okafor is injured i think.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it would reduce their overall cap figure by 6 million (instant savings right there) and would still require some team to try to get them under the cap even more afterwards (maybe trade Nash and future 1st?) i dunno

Okafor's contract will be 80% paid by insurance as well (similar to how it was with Yao) so that is an additional savings on the lakers end which makes a Gasol for Okafor swap attractive.

The lakers are almost tied for last in the west they arent going to make the playoffs - losing games will be their best plan going forward - being able to save millions of dollars in that process? even better.

I highly doubt Pau plans to resign in LA after this season after the way he has been treated

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Phoenix is typically a popular free agent destination. I think they are in good shape.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets won't lose much bench production. Let Chandler run the 2nd unit. Like how the Warriors use Klay Thompson while still being a still a starter.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come on Morey!

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

..This is the NBA.. why would it matter if they traded a player to a division rival...?

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The same goes for the Suns right? They have been rebuilding since 2010. Morey has been rebuilding since last year. Why would Morey be judged this year (when it is clear this team is not complete) and not the Suns.

Only an idiot would prefer the Suns team over our team.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Suns have up to 4 1st round picks in the upcoming draft, depending on how the protections on them works out. These picks are nice to have as a trade currency right now-- kind of like cigarettes and cans of tuna in prison. However, once the draft picks are used, the actual players drafted become almost immediately less valuable than the draft picks themselves unless they get into the rotation and perform above expectation level. Look at Kendall Marshall-- he was salary-dumped and cut by the Wizards only a year after being a lottery pick.

Given that the Suns already have a competitive team, I wonder how many rookies can actually beat out the incumbents for minutes. So, they better trade at least a couple of these draft picks while they are still valuable.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Yep 2 SUPERSTARS he will be judged, and don't know what the idot comment was about suns over rockets I didn't say that.

I'm a humble rockets fan who will Hand out my grades after playoffs, names don't move me.