1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns acquires James Jones

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketForever, Aug 25, 2005.

1. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Suns acquire James Jones

Suns send Pacers an '08 second round pick
    Phoenix Acquires James Jones from Indiana

Posted: Aug. 25, 2005
    The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with Indiana that will net the team restricted free-agent James Jones, an athletic swingman, who led the Pacers in three-point accuracy last season. In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. Jones signed a four-year contract with the fourth year being a player option. Per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“James Jones gives us another long, athletic wing player who has become a very good range shooter,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “His versatility on both ends of the floor is a perfect fit for our system.”

In only his second NBA season in 2004-05, Jones, 24, ranked 25th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage (.398). The former Pacers’ second round pick (49th overall) in the 2003 NBA Draft averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.7 minutes in 75 games (24 starts) last season after logging 26 total minutes as a rookie in 2003-04.

The 6-8, 220-pound guard/forward took advantage of increased playing time by scoring in double figures seven times during a 12-game span in late November and early December when the Pacers were shorthanded due to suspensions to Ron Artest, Jermaine O’Neal and Stephen Jackson. He also recorded his first two 20-plus point games during the stretch, including a career-high 27-point outburst at Seattle on Nov. 28. In that game, Jones connected on a career-high six three-point field goals on nine attempts.

A successful performer on and off the court at the University of Miami (Fla.), Jones earned Big East All-Academic honors in each of his four collegiate seasons, and became the school’s first Verizon Academic All-American in 2002-03. As a senior, Jones averaged a career-high 16.9 points and led the Hurricanes in blocks (1.8) and rebounds (6.0) in 28 games.

As a Rockets fan, I don't like this trade at all. Why would the Paces give up James Jones for a 2008 2nd round pick?? What's in their mind??? They have just been robbed by the Suns.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

cap reasons most likely

3. leehoang

leehoang Member

James Jones wasn't going to get any PT anyways.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good move by the Suns. Jones is a solid player and gives that team the 3pt threat they really needed. The question now is, how much of the Suns 6M Trade Exception is Jones' contract going to eat up?

5. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

One of the news articles posted on hoopshype had Jones; salary this year is at 2.4 million. So, that should leave a decent chunk of the TE left for Phoenix. More than 3 million at least...

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Who?

James Jones

Who?

James Jones

Who?

James Jones

Who?

James Jones

Who?

James Jones

Who?

James Jones

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's probably the smallest sign-and-trade deal I've seen.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Seriously, before this article, I had no freaking clue who James Jones was. I thought at first the title was a typo and it was probably Jumaine Jones.

9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yes James Jones is not a big name player. I watched a few Pacers games last season. He didn't score a lot of points. But he played defense and was a threat from the three point range. He's only 24 years old, very athletic and has good size at his position. I know we are not talking about the other JJ, Joe Johnson here. But to get him with a 2008 2nd round pick is a steal.

May be I am just upset with any trade which can help the Suns. They are the team which we will possibly meet in the playoff in the next few seasons.

10. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

the games i did see him play he was pretty decent.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Decent player but it's no big deal really. At best he gets limited time behind Bell IF he can beat out Diaw and JJ for backup 2 minutes. More likely he's 3rd string bench fodder. Even worse if Finley signs there.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

"touchin' with my diamonds on, and man I
    miss that boy Pac, sippin' liquor tryin' to grip the chrome
    I keep a chip off in my cell phone, they used to call me Pimp C
    but now the chicks they call me James Jones"

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think it is reasonable for both teams, particularly Phx. Jones is a good player with some upside for a 2nd rounder.

What I don't get is how this trade worked. Both teams are over the cap. To make the trade for a 1-0 it means James Jones signed for the min (those contracts don't have to be factored in salary calc). I thought min contracts had to be 2 years or less. Somehow Indy much have been able to sign him for 4 years as a qualifying free agent yet have the contract count as a "minimum contract". Does this mean he didn't get a raise from 04 or won't get 10.5% raises.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh never mind, the Suns had a trade exemption (I think from the Johnson trade). 11.1 mil over 4 years.

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Not the steal a minimum contract would have been, but still solid (less than 3 mil average). A lot closer to market value than Raja Bell's deal.

IMO this addition is much more important than Brian Grant. Though this offseason they have fallen further behind SA and solidly behind us, the Suns are in much better position to at least take their own division now (home court in 1st round). I do expect Sac to be right with them though.

15. pacertom

pacertom Member

no big deal.

His best position is SF, and with Artest returning, Granger drafted, and Steven Jackson able to slide over and play the 3, there was no room for JJ at all.

the Pacers are trying to avoid luxury tax payments.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not to mention the Pacers also have Fred Jones and Jon Bender at the wings. I mean the Pacers are just oozing talent! They have a strong roster in my opinion!

I think the Pacers need to get another Big. I think not signing Dale Davis will hurt them a bit in the East with Shaq. Hopefully for the Pacers Harrison is progressing along.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I like how Suns fans downplay Swift as not being that big of a deal but act like James Jones is this big @ss acquisition! Can't have it both ways boys!

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I actually think the Suns are going to be very good this season. Looks like the west has two teams on the rise in Pheonix and Rockets with one team as the juggernaut (the spurs). The I wonder what Cuban is thinking about his team.