1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Summer League] Zhou Qi Highlight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheMystery008, Jul 7, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He definitely has legit defensive upside due to length .

Bulking up is a given , but how much is the ideal level ?

Basically I think of his development in 3 main phases . BBIQ , physical tools , and skills

He has some good potential in all 3 and I definitely think he profiles more as a forward than a center .

I just wish he was allowed to figure out his own best niche. He's got good skills already for his size and he could bring a lethal midrange option to the table in a year or so.

YOLO likes this.
  2. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Game reminds me of a young Dirk.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I still think he's like 2 years away.

This is summer league. The difference between this and the NBA is night and day. And where he's been good - defensively, bball IQ, not making mistakes - it speaks to the fact that he at least has been playing for years on a professional team. Is it a good league?? No, but its still a professional league, he still participated in the Olympics, etc.

The biggest thing is he just doesn't have a lot of athleticism, at an NBA level. I mean a guy his size and body type, he clearly has a TON of athleticism. But relative to NBA players, not a ton. Hard to see him ever taking guys off the dribble.

Basically, he HAS to be able to hit 35%+ of his threes to have any sort of NBA career.

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He lacks a lot athleticism Relative to other 7 footers is what you're saying? You need to elaborate on that...

5. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

While I think you have valid points.... I do think he could thrive in the PNR and PNP game. And if he plays with guys who are gonna throw a lot of attention (i.e. Harden,Paul Melo) he'll get so many scraps by shear length and smarts that he'll be a viable player

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, you have two types of successful 7 footers.

Traditional bigs: they have traditional big athleticism. if they aren't super athletic, they have size and use it smartly to defend, set picks, contribute as a role player. If they are super athletic, they are basically Dwight, Capela, DJ, etc. types. Zhou isn't this. He's not a traditional big. Nothing about his game so far has stood out as a traditional big. Though he might need to work on that more if he wants to make it long term in the NBA.

Outside bigs: The successful ones of these, especially 7 footers of these, are basically exceptionally athletic. KD, Giannis types. There are a couple of exceptions, perhaps, like Dirk, but Dirk was an exceptional offensive player from the get go.

Zhou's game speaks more to the outside bigs, but he just won't, frankly ever, imo, be able to have the handle, cutting/slashing type quickness, lateral quickness, etc. to really succeed there.

So what's left. Basically a Ryan Anderson or Channing Frye type. And these are guys that are exceptional 3 point shooters and aren't completely and utterly hopeless in regards to getting boards here and there, etc.

What Zhou has going for him is he's an extremely tall and long version of a Ryno/Channing type, with a real high bball IQ. So if he can prove to be a consistent 35%+ shooter, he has a role.

Yep, basically what I'm saying.

And perhaps I was wrong in him being 2 years away, because he does have a high bball IQ, and seems to be smart enough to be able to use his length appropriately defensively that he might not be a complete liability on that side of the ball, so indeed maybe he can get some spot minutes next year and just by virtue of being that 5th guy offensively he'll have some opportunities to capitalize on.

But as I said, it will come down to is he hitting his threes decently. Because half of those opportunities for him will be open threes.

7. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Also I'll add about Zhou is that, even if we did play him this year, I don't see him hurting the team. He don't make a lot of mistakes.... he seems very competent on def....

My only knock on him right now is that I'd like to see him be more aggressive on weak side defensively.... if he did, he'd probably be averaging 6 blks easily

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you guys think he'll be in the rotation with Chris Paul and Harden

9. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

If he makes the top 9-10 rotation then he'll definitely get a few minutes with those guys. Remember Paul and Harden are very smart guys and they really help and teach bigs how to be successful.....

Do you really think they would say no to a big who's long, smart, athletic with good to great hands?

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

He might get some minutes next year if we trade away Anderson to get Melo.
    He needs to learn how to be effective in his role. It's tough. Not many foreign born players are good NBA role players.

11. Tried&True

Tried&True New Member

If he develops his fundamentals then bulks up, he'll be less injury prone.

If there's anyway we could get Timmy D to work with him, along with The Dream, his game should jump several levels. He's got fluidity in his movement that reminds me of both those players. Just needs to get a couple years of seasoning in the NBA to turn into a real asset like Clint.

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Let's get Ray Allen to work with all of our shooters while we are at it

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's not even close to being a real NBA player in my opinion. He's going to struggle to be a consistent contributor with the Vipers. He moves well, but that's about it. Too weak to play in the paint, so he better learn to shoot the three at a good rate. I hope he succeeds.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem Olajuwon was foreign born

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Needs a lot more work in the G League. Needs to work on everything...

tinman likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He is somewhere between the next Wilt and Ryan Bowen.

basso likes this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, but he wasn't a role player. :D
    Dirk, Yao ... those were put in the position not to defer to their teammates. So the growing is relatively easier.

Others like schrempf, Ginobli, Rik Smits were borderline stars

It's tough to be foreign born and learn how to be a role player. I think it takes a lot more effort to accept, adapt and adjust.

18. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

Why can't he be Porzingus?

19. BackdoorHarden

what about redneck?

Perki-Perk likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

because 3 games of summer league =

32% FG
    12% 3PT