1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Summer League] Zhou Qi Highlight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheMystery008, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Orange

Orange Member

Looks tougher than young Yao

2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

He hasn't gone up against Shaq.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Man he looks legit good. Mobile, lots of length.

Good demeanor and feel for the game.

4. Possum

Possum Member

I hate this kind of thinking. Nowitzki would of never been an all-star if it were for this line of thinking. Yoa would still be playing if we didn't force him to gain so much weight and turn him into a low post only player. This guy could end up being the next Kevin garnet before he'll ever be the next yoa.

Perki-Perk likes this.
  5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

and unless shaq is planning on coming out of retirement, he won't have to.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can't think of a better comparison than a 7'1 Sam Dekker.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Umm so Garnet in his prime was chucking up 3's at every opportunity? No. I too hope Zhou turns into a Garnet clone. Means he's a paint monster.

Dirk was special. He was never an inside scoring threat and flourished in the mid game.

Not sure why you want a 7 footer jacking up bad outside shots. He won't be able to stay in front of quicker 4's plus he naturally WANTS to play inside, why reinvent the wheel?

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Less skilled though. That is perfectly understandable, since Yao was the 1st round pick.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This kid is far more talented than Dekker. He is raw, and physically weak. He is a poor man's Porzingis, which isn't as bad as it sounds. A lot of hard work in the D-League should help him out.

10. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Hey **** You! Hick is offensive! Lmao, everybody offended by everything these days, i say eff em all, free speech biotch!

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1 for 12 in the last two games
    He looks d league legit

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

not going to bash him for not shooting well in the past couple of games. The rockets want him to extend his range and he's gonna have to adjust to that and adjust to the longer 3 point line in the NBA. He'll get his shooting up but I do think he would be a bit more useful than just camping at the 3 point line. Need him to mix it up in the paint or mid range for a little. Too tall to not take advantage of an inside game.

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Do you know our coach is Mike D'Antoni not Jeff Van Gundy?

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I liked what I saw but was a little scared about a 7fter getting blocked on a fade away in summer league....it got called a foul, but what's the point of being a 7ft shooter if your getting stuffed on fade aways? Seems like he works the glass well although in summer league lots of those guys are not doing a good job of blocking out so likely a bit of false positive there.

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Can I get a link to the game going on right now on Espnu?

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

3>2

But 2>0

I think players , especially young guys , should start off by playing the game they are comfortable with. If Qi is confident shooting 17 footers , let him . Then , work his range out over the course of time .

Confidence plays , if he takes all of these 3's and doesn't see many go in ... And then takes a two (and because he hasn't been taking that shot , is not in a groove and misses) that's the worst case outcome.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's really about fit. can his game or potential translate into what the rockets are wanting him to be as a contributor? if it does, good find but if it doesn't, you move on and the journey continues for that player. that goes for the endless amount of young prospects trying to find a team year after year

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed .

But at the same time you always want to create value .

I just favor a player based approach .

We are developing Qi to be a player that best fits in our system vs developing him to be the best player aligned with his natural game and skills. Sometimes those objectives clash sometimes they don't.

I think that by prioritizing system and fit , you can have players slip through the cracks .

1) because of, if developed a different way they would have become good enough to play despite the lack of perfect fit

2) also , if we show Zhou the midrange hitting good defensively 7 footer ... That's more valuable an asset than Zhou the 7 footer who doesn't play because he can't hit 3's. ..... Sure in this case another team can take a chance but , they will have to restructure his development (cost) and won't have seen any production on court.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

it'll be interesting the steps they take with him. The SL is a small test to see where he is as far as competing against overall overseas talent. Then he'll move on to the G-League. We obviously see some of the potential being displayed. Reminds me of another capella project.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

playing better today, 4 points. still missing 3s.