1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Games - who's going?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm curious who will be there in California checking out the Rockets summer league action?

There is a chance I will be flying to LA to see Friday and Saturday's games, if all works out. This is because of the generosity of crash5179, who works at an airline and offered me a flight pass to check out the Rockets summer league action. I mean, how cool is that? A <B>huge thanks</B>, crash -- that was extremely generous of you.

Things still have to work out for me to go, but all is looking good so far.

Tomorrow though I will need to work out hotel arrangements for Friday night and a rental car so I wanted to get some tips from people who will be going, that may know the area, etc.

2. 3oClockRocket

3oClockRocket Member

I think LA's #1 Rocket Fan will be there. I remember he did an excellent job for us last year.

Where are you LA's #1?:)

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

dang crash, that's awesome of you!

Clutch, do you know why the Rockets decided to forgo the trip to Salt Lake this year? Was it the exclusive interviews Darkhorse kept demanding? :D

Hmmm... actually it was probably the streak Moe did with Rudy's face tattooed on his belly, *yeecchhhchhh*.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Are the summer league games going to be televised?

5. mduke

mduke Member

None of the Rockets game are:( Anyone know where I can find a complete listing of televised games though? I really wanna see the Mavs or Warriors play.....

BTW, Crash, great job!

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Very Nice Gesture, Crash :)

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

mduke:

Next week (July 15th-21st)....

Spurs vs Magic (Tues. July 16) 2p
    Wizards vs Celtics (Tu) 8p
    Hawks vs Bucks (W, on ESPN) 2p
    Knicks vs Nets (Th) 2p
    Blazers vs Jazz (F) 7p

The following week (July 22nd-28th):

Cavs vs Grizzlies (Tues. July 23) 2p
    Suns vs Nuggets (Th) 2p
    Bulls vs Grizzlies (Th) 10p

The only team with multiple appearances on TV are the Grizz. All listed times are ET.

8. mduke

mduke Member

Thanks mfclark..... No Mavs or Warriors!!!:mad:

9. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

If all things work out with getting off work early, I'll be going to the game on friday.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll be going to all the games if things work out... but I don't know anything about the area. :)

11. SHANK

SHANK Contributing Member

I went to watch some games on Monday, and will be going on

Friday as well. There is a professional video crew there taping all

of the games at the Long Beach Pyramid during the Summer

Games, and video tapes of any or all of the games are available at

a price of $40/copy and each additional copy @$10. 2002 DADA

Southern California Summer Pro League Game Videos and Video

Highlights can be ordered at www.videoscouting.com.

12. mduke

mduke Member

so the first game is $40, then 10 for the others? so say I wanted to get 3, it'd cost me $60???

13. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Hey 3oClockRocket, yes I will be there tomarrow and give everyone a review of the game : )

Clutch, that is great new you might be going, I am not from long beach but I know there some large hotels near Cal State Long Beach about 5 min away near to the Long Beach airport.
    Here is a site that also has car rental information as well as reservation infomation to Long Beach Airport which is very close to Long Beach school.

http://longbeach.airporthotelguide.com/

One of these hotel that is close is the Marriott Long Beach which is on 4700 Airport Plaza Drive. To get to the school from here all you have to do is take Spring St east, then Belflower St south than you will see the school with a big blue Pyramid.

Hope this tips can help you.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Crash...great job getting Clutch to LA..I look forward to reading about the summer league games...have fun Clutch!!!

PS...anyone with any hotel/rent car connections should hook up Clutch as well...even if its not a free ride, some discounted rates(maybe someone has a corporate rate that Clutch can use) would be much appreciated by our fearless leader i'm sure.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LA's #1 Rocket Fan - thanks for the tips. I will definitely check this out today. LA, DoD, rf34 - hopefully I'll get to meet all of you guys ....

16. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Hey! Those stretch marks are looking better this year! Rudy just looks like he has a five o'clock shadow. But now, what in the heck am I going to do with this new tatoo of Calvin Murphy I got on my butt?

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Clutch, I believe the team hotel will be somewhere in Marina Del Ray. If you get a chance take a 15 minute drive north on the PCH leaving from Santa Monica and try out Dukes at Malibu. It is the best seafood resturant on the coast. :)

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was gladd to do it Clutch :) For all the info we get on this sight I look at it as an investment. Since I kind of see Clutch as taking this trip for all of us maybe some of us (including me) can drop a little change in the tip jar to help with expenses. After all I am sure we will get a lot better coverage from Clutch than from a newspaper and Clutch is not traveling with an expense account like the newspaper writers are.

Enjoy your trip. :)

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This place never fails to amaze me.

Have fun Clutch and don't forget your camera!

From all of the cc.net community, thanks crash. Yuda man.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well I live about 150 miles north of LA but my car won't be running anytime soon. :( I'll meet some of you guys one of there days.

But, if you guys happen to get lost and head north of LA,

...You are screwed.

#20 moestavern19, Jul 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002