1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SUMMER LEAGUE 2023 - Vegas 7/7-7/17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, May 9, 2023.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Prices are just stupid... like they're Finals tix or something... lol

i guess other basic GA tix go on sale 5/17... maybe they will be more reasonably priced...

The tix they have available now are like $269-$2K per day.

When they started this it was way cool! It was like $20-$25... Fans actually sat in the stands with players and execs...

now it's just a money grab... :(

This has been crotchity old man moment with kjayp... lol

forgot the link to the 'experiences' - lol!

https://nbaevents.nba.com/summerleague

#1 kjayp, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 10, 2023
    theDude, ArtV, BaselineFade and 15 others like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Capitalism always catches up to nice things.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Old men ROCK

ArtV, sirjesse, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Inflation and money that isn't worth something, bruh.

kjayp likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't understand dude, it's really hard for these owners to make money.

Look at the poor Bucks owner who bought for $700m and now selling for $3.2 billion all the while playing the victim in a small market. How many times did we hear a sob story about how Milwaukee has to be extra vigilant with their salaries because it's a small market?

What about Tilman who squeezed every last dime out of this organization then suddenly found some money to bid on another sports team? He's additionally made $1 billion since buying the team at $2.2bn just on the market price of the Rockets.

Show some mercy they're just trying to feed their families.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I've been wanting to check out Resorts World or Circa - maybe this would be a good time. Im fairly certain these things dont sell out and you could nab cheap tix day of the event.

kjayp likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ve been going for at least 12 years. It seems to get worse every year; more crowded and more expensive, less intimate. Plus everything in Vegas has gotten more expensive. I still can’t resist seeing our young bucks live and you do tend to run into all sorts of NBA folks. Given our likelihood of having a high draft pick along with last years guys, it’s gonna be a good one to catch.

Rudyc281 and kjayp like this.
  8. kjayp

yeh, its usually not a sellout situation - since they now use both the small gym and the Thomas & Mack... so u can usually get tix the day of... I've seen folks buying and selling out front before - but idk the availability or potential deals...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. kjayp

Yeh, I've been going since before the Rox were involved... saw D12 and CP3 as rooks...
    it was always so cool to be able to talk to guys in the stands... I spoke with Elgin Baylor, McHale, JVG, Adelman, Chris Mullin, Mario Elie and numerous other Rockets over the years...
    I was always amused watching the kids running around getting autographs from undrafted summer league guys that will prob be working at Wendy's next month - while Elgin Baylor is just sitting there looking bored... lol! Those are the autographs I grabbed... lol!
    and yeh, just too crowded nowadays... i used to go all day for at least a day or two... now i show up a game before the Rox, find a seat - and pretty much stay there until i leave - lol!

Corpusfan, Rudyc281 and Aruba77 like this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Frickin Flat Earthers/Nazis!!! :mad:

Go Rockets!!!

Deckard likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Over the years I’ve met George Karl, Carl Landry, Tom Tibadou, Isiah Hartenstein’s family lol. You’ve had better celeb sightings;)

jch1911, Deckard, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If tickets cost that much, it's a rip-off. You're basically watching some rookies, bench players, and scrubs u may never see again. lol. When I first went, I could've sworn tickets were like $10/day or for the whole week or something - can't remember. But that was back around 2002-2005'ish, if I recall. Back then you could shake hands with Rudy T in the bleachers or sit on the row right behind Sam Mitchell and Kevin McHale and listen to them talk all kinds of crap about a player, or watch Rockets legend Malick "the Bad Man" Badiane play up-close. lol.

13. kjayp

the earliest days were the coolest... like 25% of the people in the stands were somebody... lol! It was more like the NBA teams were running their scrimmages and doing their thing - and people who showed up were just flies on the wall for it all... lol!
    My coolest story was after a Rox game (in the small gym), Morey came up to me in the stands to thank me for my vocal support! lol! It was like his 1st or 2nd year with the Rox or something... i thought that was really cool of him!

jch1911, Richie_Rich, Arnel and 7 others like this.
  14. kjayp

I think it was like $20 got you all day - maybe it was less... at the beginning they were just playing in the small gym - and it was usually only about half full... it was nothing to sit courtside... lol
    1 year Lonny Baxter is walking from the locker room after the Rox game... i'm front row so he's passing right by me - so i ask him for an auto... He's all geeked, "Sure!" and just dumps all his gear to the ground to sign... i found it amusing - i wanted say "dude, ida held your bags..." lol! Then later he gets arrested for firing on the White House... ahhh summer league experiences... lol

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, back when I went for Rockets games back around 2003, I enjoyed going to Long Beach because you could run around Cali and do stuff before and after, so I stayed there for the entire week or two. When it was in Minnesota, it was "meh". I've never been to one in Vegas simply because Vegas pretty much is everything I try to avoid. lol. Maybe one day I'll go to a Vegas league.

One of my fondest memories of summer league was Jamario Moon walking off the court and some girl screaming something like "We love you Jamarioooo!" and he casually and slyly turns his head while still walking forward and throws up the peace sign. I don't know why, but I think that's when I knew I was in an alternate universe, but more importantly, that this is why my tickets were so cheap. :D

kjayp likes this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It's an incredible experience. The last time I went someone gave me tickets for free at the door. I don't think I'd bother buying in advance. Vegas is getting VERY expensive though now that it's basically Los Angeles.

Rudyc281 and kjayp like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey never disappoints.

kjayp likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have held a sign and then the answer.

To the moon and back to you, sweetheart.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

look at Les Alexander. Took all of China's money and never went over the lux tax.

Vudu, REEKO_HTOWN and Mathloom like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe it’s because the box office hasn’t put them on sell, yet?

unlvtickets.com is the official site for cox and Thomas & Mack, and they are posting “ticket prices unavailable at this time”

https://www.unlvtickets.com/eventInfo/spe/823/2023-nba-summer-league/

SamFisher likes this.