1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League 2015!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Jun 26, 2015.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I mean, our summer league team seems to be stacked.

2. Space City

Space City Member

Wood was mentioned here, but I don't see the D'Angelo kid mentioned anywhere.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets summer tm: Will Cummings (Temple), Denzel Livingston (Incarnate Word), Glen Rice Jr. and Jaron Johnson RGV), Christian Wood (UNLV).</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/615882992443985921">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Normalus

Normalus Member

^
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With D’Angelo Harrison to Rockets, St. John’s Has Six Alums in Summer League*(UPDATED) <a href="http://t.co/BqLMtBHC3B">http://t.co/BqLMtBHC3B</a></p>&mdash; Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/616603996522852353">July 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Kentucky gets their whole team drafted. St. Johns has six former players in the summer league. Pretty neat!

5. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Kinda surprised Greg ANthony is back lol

6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Can any of these guys make the final roster cut? Any long shots like Tarik black last year?

7. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Christian Wood..... I expect him to make it

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

I doubt it. We have 1-2 places at most, and that's for inactive players (DLeague) - most likely Montrezl Harrell, and maybe even Sam Dekker. He would be cut and picked up by other team like we did with Robert Covington, we have no place and time to develop players now.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But if he was good, wouldn't we find a way to stash him as an asset?

Harden, Bev, KJ (assuming), jones, DMO, Capela, howard, Dekker, Harrell, brew, dwight: that's just eleven spots. There's no guarantee Pablo, Ray lewis with a basketball (even w/ his $1 mil) or Johnson make this team. I don't see how the door is closed to wood.

Granted I expect us to make some moves, but right now I only see 11 spots firmly secured.

10. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I think you underestimate just how raw Wood is.. very intriguing prospect but where this team is at now, the bench must be used carefully for quality depth that can step in and contribute if called upon.. No projects.

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

Pablo if not retires&if not traded have contract for 15/16 season, same with Dorsey, Johnson has two years, Papa is still on our team.

Beverley/Prigioni
    Harden/Johnson
    Ariza/Brewer/Papa/Dekker
    Motiejunas/TJones/Harrell
    Howard/Capela/Dorsey

We most likely would try to trade Papa&TJones (just to clear space, maybe trade Dorsey as well, don't think we cut him), maybe sign another PG (Jet?) and JSmooth, but before all that - we have no place for this kid anyway.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

KPap contract not guaranteed. Dorsey is $1 mil but not worth the roster spot. Pablo is only partially guaranteed. Agreed that it looks like Johnson is locked into the roster on the minimum through the next two seasons. So I'd say we have 12 spots secured, not 11. But trades are likely to alter this quite a bit.

My point is that if Wood turns out to be good, we'll find the roster space to stash him.

13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Any reason why KJ wouldn't play if we sign him on the 10th?

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I am excited to see Christian Wood play. Wouldn't be surprised if he outplays Dekker and Harrell.

15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

oh...that ***** trash!:eek:

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

oh that ninja nasty. any body who would talk to him and breath in his foul breathe is suspect too.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

LMAO!!! Kevin Mchale and the McHale family are on Family Feud.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wood maybe raw, but holly cow Capela was like lost in space until he spent significant time in DL. CC pulled it together and played some meaningful minutes in the play-offs. McH used Clint over the vet (Dorsey) who started and played in regular season. Luckily talented won out over experience.

CW appears to have the athleticism and skills, but apparently needs some more "want to". Hopefully, not being drafted was the boot up his a_s he needed. Let's see how he performs in the SL before we write him off. If he does Ok there, then we'll see how he holds up in training camp.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That I'd like to see!

20. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Holy crap!! I went to high school with Denzel!! I haven't kept in contact with him after we graduated so I didn't know where he ended up but wow this is amazing. He has to be stoked. He was born and raised in Houston near studewood, so he's Houston through and through. One thing I remember about him from high school is that he was a LIGHTS OUT shooter. He was really thin back then so we called him Durant haha. But it seems like he's put on some weight.

I don't know how far he's gonna go but just him getting this opportunity is amazing. I'll definitely be watching.