1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggestion on how to stop most knee-jerk threads in the GARM.

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by gah, Dec 26, 2011.

1. gah

gah Member

Just disable the ability to start new threads to non-contributing members for at least 2 hours after a game. That way all discussions would remain where they belong, in the official thread.

Now, I don't know the feasibility this idea might have for the Mods, but it's just my 2 cents and I admit... this is my own knee-jerk reaction to what's going on in the GARM right now.

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=212731

;)

Obviously I agree with you. I would even make it so only mods can post threads for a couple hours.

If he felt so inclined, Clutch could create a sub-forum for Player Performance threads (i.e., "The Kevin Martin Performance Thread", "The Kevin McHale Performance thread"), and people could just post in those after games. That could help streamline things, especially with with the compressed schedule, any threads posted in between games are just going to get pushed down by the reaction threads.

#2 dharocks, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. gah

gah Member

Wow, I'm impressed, you came up with the idea first. Mods feel free to delete/merge this one.

4. dharocks

hah, it really doesn't matter, and I'm sure we're not the first ones to suggest this

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps it would be easier for Clutch to acquiesce to some of these requests if all members were contributing members.

6. dharocks

Out of pure ignorance, would it cost more to do something like what's suggested? I was thinking there would be less bandwidth used if there was a decrease in the threads started after games. I really don't know.

Or were you just taking a shot at the OP?

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

GARM looks awful tonight

90% of the guys who posted tonight won't be seen in a few months anyways

would be nice if there were some kind of restrictions

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Or how about the mods or clutch look at the new threads about to be submitted and see if they thread worthy?

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

because they're not robots and can't spend every waking hour monitoring every silly idea that springs up in those donkeys heads.

they do the best they can, and do a pretty damn good job.

#9 tmoney1101, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought it was a well known thing to avoid the GARM after games (especially after a loss)...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is the holidays more than likely the Mods are celebrating with their families rather than cleaning up the GARM....it happens....

DD

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If that suggestion isn't a pain to implement, I think it's a great idea. I'd go so far as 12 hours.

13. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Easy...any member with a join date later than 2005 may not start threads after a loss. :)

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what the easiest way to clean up bad threads in the GARM is?

Don't respond to them.

Instead, respond to good threads. Then you will incentivize people to think before they start a new thread. I hate all the rules that people come up with. Keep it simple. If it isn't simple, how are you going to have everyone from an 9 year old to a 79 year old enjoy Clutchfans?

16. dharocks

Then maybe you shouldn't respond to them.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo! I don't.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Because contributing members never do stupid crap?

:confused:

As I've mentioned before, nothing would clean up the entire board more than being able to ignore threads started by people on your ignore list. That way, you don't see their post or their threads.

19. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

May I make a suggestion here?

This evening I was looking for a particular thread that I'd been reading yesterday evening, but couldn't remember the name of it...I've searched for an hour and can't find it because there are too many new threads!

I came to the Feedback just to lower my frustration level a bit and found this thread...nice to know others feel the same frustration!

After that, I decided to look at each thread on the front page of the GARM to see who the OP was and what their rating was - and a very large proportion of them were started by people like me, with a one-dot rating...one thread was started by a person with a purple one dot rating! I think I might give the last one a pass, since he was seemed to be foreign and trying to find Rocket games....

In addition, many (but not every one) of the threads started by the one-dot people were ranked lower - that is, three stars or less - as compared to threads started by members with higher ratings (more dots). A number of the threads started by the one dot members were ditto-threads...by that, I mean new threads that could easily be merged with very similar threads that at this point are probably buried on page two or three.

I imagine by now you know where I'm going with this...that people like me (one dots) should not have the PRIVILEGE of starting new threads until they've been around longer, have accumulated more experience (and hopefully the respect) of fellow posters and also have hopefully learned the rules and the ropes of the GARM by the time they hit two-dot status.

I know I'm shooting my own self in the foot here, but frankly the proliferation of ditto threads and/or otherwise fairly useless threads is driving me batty! The ditto threads are also derailed half of the time by name calling back and forth by other posters bashing the OP for their thread, and frankly it's getting hard to pick out the good threads at this point.

Perhaps, if this seems unreasonable or harsh in some way, this rule could be implemented only during active NBA seasons?

1 person likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

So kind of a free-market approach. It sounds good, but I don't have faith in my fellow Clutchfans not to follow everyone else into the knee-jerk parade.