1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Study Looks at Link Between mar1juana and Psychosis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 26, 2012.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the record I am for the legalization of mar1juana but think a study like this is important to better understand the affects of drugs like this on the developing brain.

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-examines-link-between-psychosis-and-mar1juana-use-teens

Study examines link between psychosis and mar1juana use in teens

Does smoking pot trigger delusional thinking and hallucinations in adolescents, or does an underlying mental health condition lead teens to self-medicate with mar1juana? That is the question researchers at Leiden University in the Netherlands attempt to answer in a study published in Addiction, as reported by Reuters Dec. 25.

The study surveyed 2,120 teens between the ages of 13 and 19 about their mar1juana use at different ages and their experiences with symptoms of psychosis. Of those surveyed, 44 percent reported using mar1juana, and reported experiencing hallucinations, feelings of loneliness and social problems.
    The study concluded that there is a bi-directional causal association between mar1juana use and psychosis; mar1juana use at age 16 predicted increased vulnerability to psychosis at age 19, and teens suffering psychotic symptoms at age 13 were more likely to smoke pot when 16 to 19 years old.

A University of Michigan study published last year finds that mar1juana use among teens in the United States continues to rise, with nearly 7 percent of 12-grade students reporting daily use of the drug in 2011.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) cautions parents that changes in a child’s behavior, such as mood changes and deterioration of relationships with friends and family; loss of interest in favorite activities, changes in sleeping and eating habits, all could be signs of drug use. People under the influence of mar1juana may exhibit the following behaviors:

appears dizzy or uncoordinated;
    acts silly and giggly for no reason;
    has very red, bloodshot eyes;
    has a hard time remembering things that just happened.

2. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Yeah it's not recommended to use until your 21, that's why it's the age to be in the legal states

btw their symptoms of psychosis are scewed heavily

for example- paranoia is a symptom of psychosis which everyone knows comes with weed

So they can say 100% they see symptoms of psychosis with users- however that's not really giving a true depiction is it

Of course in over 5000 years science has yet to produce an actual psychotic person they can put in front of you and say 'this is because of cannabis'.. not one.. or they would.
    And of course it only has been 5000 years, and the last 50 specifically where mar1juana use in the US is between 12 and 20 percent of the general population who actually use mar1juana regularly (12 percent if you take into account those who ADMIT they smoke it.. not everyone is willing to admit such a thing)... yet clearly 12 to 20 percent of our population is not suffering from mar1juana psychosis.... in fact, unless they can put ONE in front of me and say 'mar1juana did this' I will assume they are fishing at best rather than using actual science.

Also pure THC increases activity in the areas of the brain which are BELIEVED to be linked to psychosis, while another compound found in mar1juana (the cannabinoids) has the opposite effect (so logically what that means is smoking pot in it's complete form is not likely to cause psychosis because one compound sort of neutralizes the effect of the other).

So the people who do the legally approved Marinol (synthetic pure THC is the only compound in it)... one wonders how they are doing..

#2 Realjad, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. Major

Major Member

This is a weird standard. No one can put a particular person in front of you and say that their smoking definitely caused their lung cancer either. So do you not believe smoking increases chances of lung cancer?

4. Realjad

Sure you can, I work in the medical field. You can definitely attribute smoking to lung cancer as a cause. Now not all cases you can't however there are cases where the signs of cancer and division of cells to abnormality are directly attributed to smoking.

I don't think its that weird of a standard either

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I've gone the prescription pill route and I think it probably did more long term damage to my body than smoking pot has. I'm not going to say that mar1juana is some miracle cure all drug though. I think using it medicinally is no good for daily use. Your body builds a tolerance then you need to try a stronger strain to get a comparable high or smoke more. I don't think its good to use as an emotional escape drug similar to how I don't think it's a good idea to drink alcohol when down in the dumps. It just ignores the real issue that generally is ailing you anyways.

I think its a fun social drug. I see its medicinal benefits for people in pain be it mental or physical but I don't think it's an everyday drug the way some people use it. I'm 29. Started at 27. I'm actually glad I waited so long to try it. I think I'm more responsible with my personal habit with it than I would have been. At the same time I think it would have been more beneficial than the prescription cocktail doctors can sometimes over-prescribe patients.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've treated patients who smoked K2 and Spice ("it's legal!!"), and they present with psychosis. I had a good conversation with a psychiatrist who studies drug abuse, and his thoughts were that there is a subset of the population who are susceptible to mar1juana psychosis because of their lower tolerance to cannabis use. Makes sense. The issue is figuring out who encompasses this subset.

I used to be a proponent of mar1juana legalization, but as I have come to understand mar1juana use and abuse my views have shifted away from legalization.

7. Realjad

Well I agree on K2 and Spice. Whilst giving a vaguely similar high it's dangerous and not good. There has already been one death directly attributed to that in it's short time on the market which is one more death ever attributed directly to mar1juana.

However I have seen first hand people who switched to fake weed in which it has completely messed them up mentally while also causing an extreme addiction.

That stuff is dangerous, while I'm an advocate for mar1juana I'm completely against spice/k2 and other potpouries.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

This just in: water is the "new" gateway drug. Studies have shown that 100% of drug users have consumed water, with varying frequency, prior to the start of their drug use.

:eek:

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think you're doing it wrong.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Any mind-altering chemical will have unpredictable effects when minors ingest them. This is one of the primary reasons that a primary goal of our drug policy should be to pursue policies which actually reduce the access that our young people have to such chemicals.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting info Realjad and Azadre. I do not know too much about the science behind how mar1juana affects brain chemistry and don't have a firm opinion about how harmful, or beneficial, it might be in regards brain development or as a medicine. I think it should be legalized, or at the minimum decriminalized though for political reasons.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's a gateway beverage.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, I pretty comfortably support conventional drug laws, but I need to know the total percentage of people/teens suffering from psychosis before thinking this alleged correlation/causation with pot use means much of anything. Also not sure I trust any surveys of teenagers (80% sexually active by high school? really?).