1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Student killed by police in San Antonio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Miracles Boys33, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Miracles Boys33

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Vigi...tudent-killed-by-campus-police-234969011.html

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

From what I've heard, the kid was definitely resisting, but to the point that lethal force is justified?? Not likely.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why do people think they can run away from or attack cops? Do they think they are in an action movie? Morons.

4. The Law

The Law Member

What makes it not likely, your personal thoughts or do you have some proof to this? I, personally, watched the video last night at work and the shooting is completely justified.

At the end of the day, I have a wife and kid to go home to and if ANY person acted this way towards me I am going act the same way as the Corporal in this particular incident.

People act like police officers WANT to go out and shoot people, what you see on the news is the 1% who slipped through the cracks and shouldn't be officers. I, for one, have not ever had to discharge my firearm towards a human and I thank God for that everyday. But I have been in situations where if words or other means did not de-escalate the situation promptly I was prepared to do so and I can tell you that it shook me up in a bad way.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

How did you see the video? CNN reports that there was none. Send me a link if you can.

From what I've read, it seems like the cop was not on top of his game, he gave his location incorrectly to dispatch, which is about the worst thing you can do when chasing someone. The cop panicked, this is obviously just my opinion though.

This isn't me disrespecting the police, I have a ton of respect for what y'all do, my uncle is the chief of Police for a Houston area suburb, and I have many friends that work in Law Enforcement. Just the way I'm playing it out in my head, I don't understand it.

6. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Putting someone in jail isn't worth murdering them over.

If they're going to get away and they belong in jail you're going to get another chance.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He shot the dude 6 times, once in the leg wouldn't have been enough? Normally I don't put too much weight into previous testimony about character, but this kid was cited as very non-confrontational and was the co-valedictorian of his class. They haven't cited alcohol or drugs either. It just doesn't add up. This article I found was really good though. Nobody knows what the motives were but It does give you a good idea.

I was going to say the kid was at fault but it seems that this cop was over extending his limits.

The kid listened to the cop and complied.

Cop tried to put handcuffs on him. (why?)

Kid begins to struggle at this point.

Cop hit him with the baton.

Kid took baton away from him.

Kid angrily went towards cop who shot him 6 times.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ttacked-officer-with-baton-before-5048547.php

8. The Law

The Law Member

The video isn't available to the public, at this point it's an open case waiting to be heard by grand jury. Typically other agencies use these videos as training tools, which is what I was doing.

I am not familiar with San Antonio or that campus so I couldn't speculate on any bad info given over the radio. As far as where the shooting took place it is off camera so all you have to go by is audio and all of his commands were clear, crisp and only just before the shots are fired do you hear his pitch elevate as if he felt like he was losing control.

I would also be interested in what the toxicology report indicates but just off of my initial observations it seemed as if the young man was not in his right frame of mind.

Additionally, I hate to say this about a fellow officer, but he is a campus police officer. I deal with a large campus in this area where I assist a campus and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that MOST campus officers are more comfortable dealing with parking citations and drunk and unorderly students, so if he did in fact panic I wouldn't be surprised. But that doesn't mean he wasn't justified, because the only thing he must articulate is that in that instance in his mind he was in fear for his life, regardless if other officers might not have been if placed in the same situation.

Just my two cents, I am not a cop that 100% of the time tries to protect and justify dumb actions of my colleagues, but if I have learned something over my years it's that the truth will eventually come out so I try not to speculate even though that is normal human nature to do so.

1 person likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

There is no video.

The officer didn't have a dash cam and wasn't carrying pepper spray, things that they are required to have.

Hopefully he was carrying his badge, if someone tried to handcuff me and didn't have a badge I would probably resist. Especially with all the fake cop stuff that has happened in San Antonio.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

That **** should be illegal, no dash cam, no authority. How the heck are we supposed to know about what kind of power the officer abuses?

11. The Law

The Law Member

You shoot center mass, that is the standard operating training protocol for any military/law enforcement in the country, sans the Seals who are trained to double tap the head and chest.

And if you shoot, you are not shooting to injure, you are shooting to eliminate the threat. My weapon has 16 rounds in it if you include to rounds chambered, and if am going to shoot I am going to continue to shoot until the subject no longer poses a threat to me. The thought of shooting someone in the leg is asinine and if that is your train of thought then we might as well just agree to disagree because we are never going to share an equal point of view in the matter.

12. The Law

The Law Member

Other officers had video, which also included audio of 4 officers. Every MVR system is synced to each other to ensure maximum radius of audio/video. I know this because I watched this.

13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Oh ok , thanks for the insight but I do have to ask, you would shoot an unarmed kid pulled over for speeding, 6 times? Would you also feel the need to beat him with a baton? I don't like the whole anti-cop mentality people have on here, but there are cops that abuse their power. Pulling someone over for speeding is not grounds for hitting them and then shooting them.

Shooting him once would have incapacitated him also, so I don't understand why you think that shooting an unarmed teenager 6 times is necessary. Shooting someone once won't necessarily kill them, even if it is in the chest.

Had this dude also carried his pepper spray, the outcome could have been different and the kid may have lived.

14. rudan

rudan Member

The Law sees everything :eek:

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Why didn't he just tase him, bro?

16. g1184

g1184 Member

The court of public opinion isn't in the Cop's favor. Hopefully, due process will run its course and the truth will come out, because there's a lot of things that aren't making sense here.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

At the time of the shooting, wasn't the kid wielding the cop's baton and angrily advancing towards the cop?

If someone is resisting a cop's attempt to restrain him, what's wrong with the cop using force?

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why do cops think that because someone chooses to run away or fight them that they have the right to kill?

Seriously does resisting arrest, running from or even fighting with a cop really give them the right to just straight up kill?

I don't care if your a cop, your just a person these types of things don't warrant being murdered by anybody. A cop who doesn't feel like fighting or running does not have the right to take away someones life, son, friend just because they feel like shooting. Aren't cops supposed to be trained to be able to take people down without killing? I mean seriously shooting just sounds like a lazy, b**** move.

I mean ****, if i'm fighting with someone and feel like i'm gonna get ****ed up do i have the right to pull out a gun and kill? Of course not, i'm not a cop.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Right...shoot to kill. This is the outrageous excuse every homicidal gun owning redneck seems to use isn't it?

"It's not my fault! Killing unarmed civilian is basic gun safety!"

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

No he raised his arm as he was going towards him.
    Too many red flags and lack of evidence. He pulled him over for alleged speeding and the kid was complying. Then he hit him with a baton and tried to handcuff him. I don't know man, but an unarmed kid being shot in the chest, neck, eye, arm and thigh 6 times.

If this was a normal civilian and he felt a threat to his life like this cop has allegedly said, would he be allowed to shoot the unarmed kid?

This crap has to stop, its scary. There are too many power hungry trigger happy assholes out there that can spin a story, especially if there is no cam to tell the story.