1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stros gonna run run run

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is from Rotoworld, so it's a fantasy new source rather than regular baseball, but could give a look into Porter's philosophy

"Astros manager Bo Porter wants his team to be hyper-aggressive on the basepaths in 2013 in hopes of creating a competitive edge.
    The lineup isn't filled with burners, but guys like Tyler Greene and Justin Maxwell could benefit from having the perpetual green light. Greene, 29, is competing for the starting shortstop job, a role Porter has said he would like to give to one player in lieu of a platoon situation. If Greene ends up earning the lion's share of playing time there, he could be a cheap source of stolen bases in deep fantasy leagues."

I guess the main problem I have with this is that we really don't have anyone who we have as a projected regular that fits the bill here? Could be good news for Paredes if he shows anything with the bat this spring?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Great read. I am really hoping to see that pay off. Altuve showed success last year and Maxwell should have the speed to do so. I saw Marwin swiped one today, and if he and Tyler can manufacture some runs with their feet or at least get themselves into scoring position, it would be huge. JD could really help his cause if he adds that dimension to his game.

4. Major

Major Member

For a team with so little power and quality hitters, taking chances and being hyper-aggressive seems like exactly the right approach. You can't really count on people cobbling together a whole bunch of hits.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think it's a great strategy for a young team like this. The speed is there. Let them play. There will be plenty of mistakes but if they want to win more games, they're going to have to be very aggressive. If the threat of Maxwell and/or Green running helps distract the pitcher a bit with Carter at the plate, things can happen. Hit and run w/ Altuve at the plate could play a very big part this season.

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Not sure if anyone keeps track of their own stats, but I asked Levine how to take stolen bases into account and wanted to pass it on to you guys:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/thetrevorharris">thetrevorharris</a> Not sure if anybody indexes that but it's a very easy spreadsheet job to add to SLG for SB and take from OBP for CS.</p>&mdash; Zachary Levine (@zacharylevine) <a href="https://twitter.com/zacharylevine/status/306040029917093890">February 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

racist??? :confused: