1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stros get no respect

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ROCKET RY, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

Tied best start of any season for us, 2nd best record in the league, 1/2 game behind the precious Mets, and we made the friggin World Series last year and we get no talk what so ever. No one even mentions how good of a start we are having. I can't find even a re-cap of the game yesterday on ESPN,SI,Fox, MLB, ......nothing. The friggin Brewers are getting more action than we are. And we just took a series from them, and nobody even mentions us. We scored 21 runs in this series already, and nobody even mentions how good our offense is doing. Not to mention the awesome numbers of Ensberg, Berkman, and everett. I realize it is probably good that nobody talks about us so we can sneak up from behind, but I would at least like to hear 1 sports writer kiss our asses a little. Makes me sick.....

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

There is an ESPN Insider story on "Oswalt's 10-Year Plan" on the MLB page. Anyone crazy enough to pay for Insider care to post it? :)

3. Buck Turgidson

Haven't read the insider piece, but Roy's said he plans on pitching 10 years (magic number where MLB full pension kicks in) & hanging it up. Said the only reason he'd stick around after that (at this point) is if he has a son who loves baseball & likes to hang around the park/team.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Respect is overrated, esp from the hacks at ESPN.

Just enjoy the season.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Meh. We get respect from Jayson Stark, and that's about it. We're better as the underdog, anyway.

6. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. They get respect from the people that matter...just ask La Russa & the rest of the Cards.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

8. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

I'm talking about headlines.......the Pirates got 1 for their win over the cardinals, and we can't even get a mention. it is just obvious that nobody in the sports world really likes or respects us.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This does kinda suck, but everyone practically has written us off...Screw em'...

can someone post the Oswalt story...

10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I work in the TV production room...during home games.

You should have heard the ESPN jerkwads making comments during the World Series like "I don't know why we are even here...is anyone watching this"

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

ESPN is located in the northeast. People in the northeast, especially NY and Boston, do not think baseball exists outside of the northeast. That is why I do not watch ESPN or read SI.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The bright side is that at least they arent talking about how crappy our relief has been.

14. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Personally, I love it when the Stros are low key and out of the light. The sleeper position is much more favorable than the bulldog targets like the Cards. Thats just what I think. Go stros!

15. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

was just talking about this this morning....have to wait until 3/4 into baseball tonight for the stros highlights. it's unreal.

i can't even confidently say that things would even be any different if we WON the damn world series.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

dude sportscenter is essentially local sports for boston and new york so don't be surprised that nationally people don't care about the astros. i mean do we really need to hear about yankee lineup changes for ten minutes on a national program? it sucks but as other people have noted we seem to thrive as the undedog so i'll let it be.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I used to love getting home and watching sportscenter but I just am not that crazy about the over the top coverage for TO, Yanks-Sox's, Lakers, Clemens, Favre etc.

Also IMO the host's are not as good as they used to be.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i got to admit, i didnt think the astros would be able to score runs this year either. boy was i wrong...so far so good. i think they desperately need another starting pitcher though. would you guys take zito? i think he'll be available before the trade deadline...

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Time to trade him.