1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Stros bring up pitcher from NO?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 20, 2004.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Sorry, not Hernendez. 610AM gave a quick report that it was a reliever named Qualls?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Astros recall Qualls from New Orleans
    Duckworth optioned to Triple-A

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has recalled right-handed pitcher Chad Qualls from Triple A New Orleans. To make room for Qualls on the 25-man roster, the Astros optioned right-handed pitcher Brandon Duckworth to New Orleans. The announcement was made by general manager Gerry Hunsicker.
    Qualls, 25, was 3-5 with one save a 5.51 ERA (58ER/94.2IP) in 25 games for the Zephyrs this season, including 14 starts. His last 11 appearances have been as a reliever, and he was 0-1 with a save and a 2.57 ERA (4ER/14IP) in those outings. This marks Qualls' first appearance in the big leagues, and the 2000 second-round draft selection is 32-35 with a 4.22 ERA (279ER/595IP) in 108 career minor league appearances. Qualls is expected to be in uniform and available in the bullpen tonight.

Duckworth, 28, is 1-2 with a 6.75 ERA (25ER/33.1IP) in 15 games for the Astros this season, including six starts. He has allowed 46 hits in 33.1 innings while walking 11 and striking out 17.

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Wasn't Qualls that skinny guy from Road Trip? :D

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The guy is a stud. That is good news!

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

5.51 era in AAA.... is he anywhere near major league ready?

6. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Don't know because I've never seen him pitch, but it seems like since he went to the pen he's been much better than when he was starting.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He has major league stuff. The season is over, it's time to give the studs in our farm system a taste of the major league life!

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

good points... and he's the best option from AAA I suppose...

hope he can do well

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Fastball- 92-94
    Slider- Excellent
    Sinker- Good

The guy has been better as a reliever.

From Orangewhoopass.com

Chad Qualls

DOB: 8/17/78. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 205. Bats: R. Throws: R. Acquired: 2nd-round pick in 2000 draft out of the U of Nevada.

Spring Training Comments:

Damn but this guy was frustrating to watch during the 2002 season at Round Rock...rarely do you see a pitcher who can dominate o_ne moment and then out of nowhere just lose it, or start out looking completely lost and then magically find the ability to make hitters look like dolts...the guess here is that in the 29 starts Qualls made in 2002 he gave up 80% of his runs in fewer than 15-20 total innings...had to be a frustrating year for Qualls, as well as his W-L record was almost the mirror image of his rotation mate Nick Roberts despite Qualls actually out-pitching Roberts in most measures (H/IP, K/IP, HR/IP, etc.)...clearly has the stuff to succeed in the majors...works a tight little slider off of a very nasty low-90s sinker, a pitch that induces lots of ground balls...but he has to keep the ball low in the zone, otherwise his fastball is straight as an arrow and he’ll get beat all over the yard...sent to the Arizona Fall League in 2002 to continue working o_n the mechanical consistency to keep the ball low in the zone, pretty much saw a repeat of his AA performance – dominant o_ne moment, speed bag the next...we're beginning to get the creeping suspicion that the ultimate destination for Qualls is the bullpen...could very easily be wrong about that, though, and feel certain he’ll continue to get the opportunity to start and earn his way into the Houston rotation...but unless his finds more consistency it seems a stretch to think he’ll survive going through a major league batting order more than o_nce or twice...at age 24 for almost the whole of the 2003 season, probably a candidate for a repeat year at Round Rock...confidence gained by a successful second stint in AA would likely do wonders for him and put him back o_n track for a run at an Astro rotation spot in the near future.

Update:

Qualls didn't exactly pitch well during the 1st half of 2003 with an ERA near 5.50, particularly disappointing for a guy repeating the Texas League. Things began to click in the 2nd half though: over his last 11 starts, Qualls had a 1.94 ERA in 79 innings with a none too shabby 75:20 strikeout to walk ratio. Overall for the season, Chad finished 10th in the league in ERA (3.85), 1st in shutouts (2), 1st in complete games (3), 5th in strikeouts (132) and 2nd in innings pitched (175.1).

The latter half of the season illustrated the importance of control for Qualls in making him a better pitcher. He reduced his walk rate from 3.75 per 9 IP in his first 17 starts of the year to 2.28 per 9 IP over those final 11 games.

Qualls remains o_n o_ne of the Astros top starting pitching prospects. He'll begin 2004 in the Zephyr starting rotation. If he shows the continued ability to throw strikes, then he should be high o_n the list for call-up if a starter o_n the big club goes down. Chad might also get called o_n for a relief role as well.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Heh, I had this guy on my OOTP team for a few seasons.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

At least it's better than Duckworth. Man, he stunk up the place.

12. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He looked good tonight. The radar hit 94 a few times... I think I saw a 97 but it might of been 91... I was sitting at a bar, I was too far from the tv to be positive.

The one hit he gave up was really not hit that well. The ball landed in the right place. The slider looked really nice and I think I saw a change up. Anyone notice the chang up or was it a sinker. I couldn't tell.