1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stro Trade Idea

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R=$, May 8, 2006.

1. R=$

R=$ Member

With this trade the Rockets Address the hole at the SG position and then can draft Sheldon Williams PF out of Duke .

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Stromile Swift
    6-9 PF from Louisiana State
    8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 20.4 minutes

We can also throw in our 2nd round draft pick to make it work

Incoming
    Arvydas Macijauskas
    6-4 PG from Lithuania (Foreign)
    2.3 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 7.2 minutes
    J.R. Smith
    6-6 SG from St. Benedict's Prep (HS)
    7.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.0 minutes
    Linton Johnson
    6-8 SG from Tulane
    4.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 14.6 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +5.4 ppg, +1.5 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

New Orleans Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Arvydas Macijauskas
    6-4 PG from Lithuania (Foreign)
    2.3 ppg, 0.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 7.2 minutes
    J.R. Smith
    6-6 SG from St. Benedict's Prep (HS)
    7.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.0 minutes
    Linton Johnson
    6-8 SG from Tulane
    4.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 14.6 minutes
    Incoming
    Stromile Swift
    6-9 PF from Louisiana State
    8.9 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 20.4 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -5.4 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

Successful Scenario

This move will also give JVG the 3 PG he wants:

Skip
    SV
    Macijauskas

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i think JR Smith would be a nice addition. although there is some risk he's a knucklehead waiting to break out.

Linton Johnson would be a reasonable addition , but if its out of him and Hayes i'd rather we retrade Johnson under this scenario.

anyone who's read any of my posts knows Swift pisses me off. :mad:

i would trade him for Cato. it doesnt matter to me. Just get anything for they guy...

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

Besides JR, the rest is crap. And as you said, JR is a risk and his trade value is low right now because of the rift with B. Scott.

Swift has more trade value, believe it or not.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JR is so young and has so much talent that to snatch him up right now is a smart thing to do.

sure he's a risk, but he's a risk the spurs were willing to take at the deadline.

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

i ll do this trade, only because JR. swift isn't going anywhere anyways.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Linton Johnson's a FA.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I said in another thread that we should draft Shelden Williams, then trade Stro and our 2nd rounder to New Orleans for their 1st rounder, then take Redick.

Hopefully, Williams = Otis Thorpe and Redick = Steve Kerr. I think those are reasonable expectations. I also think those kind of role players would suit Yao and TMac very well.

8. yo

yo Contributing Member

the funniest thing about these trade threads is when people actually take trades like these seriously and consider it as if we're offering something fair.

stro is underachieving and passionless. j.r. smith is up-and-coming, crowd-energizing. "oh let's get him while he's young with so much talent" YOU DON'T THINK NO KNOWS WHAT THEY HAVE? i'm sure NO will think long and hard about this trade.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Why don't the rockets draft Sheldon Williams at #8 and then draft Mike Gansey at #32. Same effect, but Gansey is a better rebounder than Redick. Use Stro or trade him for a veteran like Maurice Peterson.

10. DJ Naztorious

DJ Naztorious Member

those are two of the most accurate-sounding forecasts i've heard in a long, long time. props to you.

11. dream2franchise

The Spurs were willing to trade Brent Barry for Smith--they want the kid gone. Chris Paul would make Stro look really good and i actually think its a good trade for New Orleans and Houston.

JR Smith is determined to prove to people he can play, in Houston he will have the oppurtunity and the right environment to succeed in.

12. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Believe it or not - I rather have Stromile Swift... I still believe. :p

Watch - Stromile will be way better next season with a healthy Yao and TMAC (hopefully)

13. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I LOVE the idea of drafting sheldon and trading stro and the 2nd for jr and their first to get redick. FLAWLESS!

PG alston/v-span
    SG head/redick/bogans
    SF mcgrady/smith/bowen
    PF howard/williams/hayes
    C yao/deke/lampe

14. dream2franchise

If Juwon is still our starting PF next season i will cry. I knew it wasn't a good sign when Stro hadn't secured the starting spot on opening night.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

JR Smith is not a 3... and there are too many defensive liabilities in the backcourt, especially with head starting. With Wesley likely to be gone I think we need to worry about getting a defensive stopper at the perimeter (with size), someone like Greg Buckner, Quinton Ross or Trenton Hassell. Shooting and perimeter defense should be the 2 biggest priorities this offseason... then maybe getting a 4 with range.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Almond, second round. :cool:

17. Diaw

Diaw Member

Hi.
    everybody in this thread talks about JR Smith, but have you ever seen Macijauskas play ? first, he's not a PG, but a SG. he is a very good 3pt shooter, and a great scorer (when given the opportunity to play, unlike this year :rolleyes: )
    look at his stats in the euroleague, a very defensive league, and especially his 3pt %
    http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=CBV
    he would not be our starter at SG, because he's slow and a mediocre defender, but he could give us a spark from the bench when needed. split the PT of the SG spot beetween Head/Smith/Macijauskas and it should work .. but unfortunately i dont think the Hornets will accept this trade ...

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

i agree...just say no to j-ho

19. 523744

523744 Member

wow i would love for tht to happen. Hopefully everyone would be healthy. But rather than spending mle on vspan we need it for tht defensive stopper in the backcourt. If this happens we will have our enforcer with a lil bit of range in shelden willams and our shooter in reddick. Both of them will have chemistry already to begin with. Than hopefully yao will be great like last year and team up with a healthy tmac. add in another althletic swingman in jr smith who can shoot, and thats just icing on the cake.

But i think with JVG seeing sheed in the bucks and pistons series and watching what tim thomas has been doing for phx, i think it will be tempting to use that 2nd rounder on a 4 who can bring it out to the 3pt line, but IMO
    i dont think that is needed