1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Strategic Advantages of Acquiring Paul Millsap Mid-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jan 7, 2013.

1. UtahMountainMan

Your not realizing the fact that we can make a move now AND in the summer.

If the Rockets can get the 5 to 7 seed in the playoffs and pick up a better PF (Millsap vs Pat/Morris) that actually has playoff experience and increased our talent level, then it is worth picking him up this year.

EVEN if its just for one year, it increases the Rockets chances of playing more playoff games, whether thats just a longer first round, or if we get somewhat lucky and win the first round.

Playing in the playoffs as much as possible this year will be INVALUABLE for Lin, Parsons, and Asik, and also for Harden as his first time as the first option.

2. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Stats don't tell everything...Millsap is clutch but I would want Aldridge taking the last shot if it came down to it..and he's 6'11 can't teach height

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

You contradict yourself. If Millsap has such great trade value as a S&T in the offseason, then the Jazz can trade him for much more than what the Rockets can offer. Some other team without capspace will give them good prospects/picks. Rockets have bigs, which the Jazz don't need, and they have Parsons. Which, by your own admission, you don't want to give up.

If you feel like the Jazz are just going to dump Millsap for a bag of crap, despite all the effort you make him out to be better than Aldridge, then you're saying the Jazz front office is run by Kahn.

4. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

F-that.

I rather have LBJ as our PF.

5. UtahMountainMan

Have you watched Millsap and Aldridge taking shots in the last 10 seconds? Aldridge has taken many more than Millsap and Millsap has still hit just as many.

Aldridge is worse at defense, has less heart than Millsap (figuratively not literally), and has a lot more ego to worry about.

6. UtahMountainMan

You would have hated having Charles Barkley in his prime then...

7. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This will not happen. Howard would have just became a FA and signed with Brooklyn. Why didn't he do it? Because of money.

Having the option of signing and trading Millsap is a fantastic option. I really don't understand how people can still doubt the fact that elite FA players will not leave unless there is a sign and trade where they get the most money.

We can always wait, but Millsap improves our chances of landing the bigger piece, in the event that he doesn't work out. It's really a no-brainer to trade for him at the trade deadline.

8. UtahMountainMan

Agree 100%.

I dont think most Rockets fans realize that the ceiling for Patrick Patterson IS Paul Millsap.

Seriously.

And Millsap is in his prime right now. I say we get him on a one year flyer, no risk, increase our team talent, bball IQ, and playoff experience, and see what we can do in the playoffs.

We risk ZERO flexibility this summer by doing this move.

1 person likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Utah will want him for the same reason Houston will at this point... he helps them get over the hump to being a playoff threat. Unless Utah falls back in the standings in the next 4 or 5 weeks, the Jazz will want him come playoff time. If they suffer another major injury or just start to stink it up, they could go in rebuild mode really quick, and look to dump him for a draft pick or young player.

Right now, Im sorry, I just really dont see them giving him up for anything the Rockets would be willing to give up... which couldn't be more than Cole Aldrich, and MAYBE a young big like Morris. Nothing, almost absolutely nothing more than that would make sense for Houston.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Morey has said many times that the team's goal is to be a championship contender, and they DO NOT want to become just another 50-win/1st or 2nd round exit team. So, does acquiring Millsap move them into a better position to become a championship contender or will it instead get them more likely to get stuck in the 50-win/1st or 2nd round exit territory?

Talent-wise, I think replacing 30-35 minutes worth of Patterson or Morris with Millsap probably does not get the Rockets quite to the contender territory. The question is then would you rather have (a) Millsap's bird rights or (b) whatever assets you would trade for him at the end of the 2012-13 season.

#50 Carl Herrera, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Ive watched both play..Aldridge can be a legitimate star player millsap is not...Aldridge would push the Rockets into a contender..his defense is not as bad as your making it..how can you wuestion his heart? Because he's missed a few shots?..Aldridge can create his own shot and not crowd the paint..paired with Asik they would be formidable..Aldridge is an x-factor that you have to gameplan for..perfect for the pick and roll/pop for Lin and Harden..this is why so many posters want him..and again he's 6'11

12. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Yes of course but I'm basing it on if you had to pick between Millsap or Aldridge

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Millsap is severely underrated and I think he would fit like a glove for this team.

He can bang down low, hit the midrange, and even facilitate the fast break when he has to. The guy is super versatile.

Oh, and defense. He plays great, high motor D

2 people like this.
  14. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

How am I contradicting myself? Utah has no leverage. If Millsap doesn't want to sign with a particular team, then he can walk for free and Utah would lose him for nothing. If they trade him now, they can at least get two first round talents in Patterson and Morris. His value is also low because the other team won't know if this is just a rental.

Also, Patterson and Morris was just a suggestion. I would definitely do more than just these two, but for the sake of making a suggestion, I put out these two names.

15. tzou88

tzou88 Member

I'd love to have Ryan Anderson play for this team. His skills makes him perfect for our current offensive schemes: he can stretch the floor and is a solid rebounder. Sadly New Orleans probably won't let him go, so he's left to rot on that awful team.

16. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Barkley is a Hall of Famer. Millsap is an above average PF(I would rate him 7 not 8), but not an all star or future Hall of Famer.

I also live in Utah and would dare say Millsap has been a bit of a disappointment or at least a wash as a replacement for Boozer. Considering Boozer didn't really set the bar high it says a lot about Millsap

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

if the Rockets can trade Patterson + Morris for Millsap, why can't they trade Patterson + Morris + Asik in the offseason for someone else? At least in that trade, it isn't dependent on a player having to agree to go to the team they are being signed and traded for.

I'm not saying sign and trades won't happen - they did last year with Nash - but they won't with the same regularity.

This is not to downplay the general idea. I am actually kind of with you. I'd love for a Patterson + Morris trade for Millsap.... as soon as possible. I too love Millsap's game and think he is underutilized. More, I'd like to see if it worked before signing him long-term, and worst case you've just cut more salary from your cap this offseason.

I just don't think a meaningful reason you do it is to have another sign and trade piece in the offseason. "Hey Paul, your nice and all, and we're glad you were here for a couple months, but Minnesota just called and they really want you and we like Kevin Love, so off you go to Minnesota!" Response: "Thanks but no thanks, I'll just sign with another team that has some cap room".

18. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

No, I'd rather have Lebron James.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I totally understand what you are getting at with the likelihood of a "Super-Max" player signing as a free agent. Its not gonna happen with Dwight or CP3 this Summer. If you want either of them, you are going to have to trade for them before February and that's virtually impossible for the Rockets to do with the small amount of large contracts they have on the books right now.

However, on a separate note regarding Millsap as a potential S&T trade asset-

What do you think will be a bigger trade asset this Summer.... Cap space to absorb a max contract player (for next to nothing) + whatever assets you had to give up in a Millsap trade(IE picks, young talent), or Millsap as sign & trade bait when there are other talented bigs like Josh Smith & Al Jefferson that are going to be more sought after in free agency first.... hmmm....

I agree that IF and hopefully when the Rockets get the chance to acquire that secondary star player, its going to be via trade. Not outright free agency. Unless that player they get in free agency has yet to blossom into a star. However, my opinion is that the amount of assets, and the capspace they will have to give up in acquiring Millsap will have greater MARKET VALUE next Summer than Millsap the player.

If they can get him on a Camby type of deal then great, but I just have a feeling that they are going to want much more than just a salary dump.

1 person likes this.
  20. Sanity2disChaos

Dont low ball the asking price for Milsaps' services.....he wants to get paid and is a player on many other teams radar.You wait and you compete price wise, trade now and loose a player or two already replaceable in Ppat,Morris,Deenutz.

I would take a trade over paying him a salary he may not deserve or live up to......
    He is not a star anyways so over paying would be stupid for anybody not named Smith,Dwight...etc.