1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stoudemire on Rockets: "They really, really wanted me to join their team"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remind me to bump this if the rox are hovering around .500 again next year for the 3rd straight year, which, barring a blockbuster, they will be.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Why would the Suns care how many years Stoudemire wants, when he is being traded anyway?

It costs the Suns nothing, because the extension takes effect after the trade!

If Amare is complaining that the Suns only wanted to give him 3 years to play for another team, that's a lie. He just didn't want to play for the Rockets. It does not affect the Suns salary cap in the future.

#42 BetterThanEver, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you know very well that the risk would be his contract and his injury history.

didnt we learn our lesson from yao and tmac? looks like at least morey did.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Isn't this what the Magic said when they signed Grant Hill to a max contract? How about when Portland when they signed Brandon Roy to that extension? Oh yeah, taking those risks certainly paid off for them :rolleyes:

Folks Amare hasn't even completed one season of his contract yet. Yes he looks good now...remember how good Yao looked before he broke his foot the first time? LOL everything can change so fast, especially 2-3 years from now when Amare is already 30-something and yet there's still several years of his contract left.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I hope you bump this thread up too if the Amare trade blows up in the Knicks' faces in a couple of years.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. morey would've been crazy give up all the suns were asking for AND pay amare what he was asking for, and NOT be allowed to have doctors examine him first!

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

No no no, you got me wrong. I was referring to how Amare would never be sure to sign an extension before he got to a unfamiliar team. Once Amare got here, Morey could have used a successful run of Brooks-Martin-Ariza-Stoudamire-Hill to persuade him to stay. We would have made the playoffs most probably and Amare then would be able to stay.

My point is, if Phoenix offered him a 5 year deal in the summer, he wouldn't have left. Houston could have done the same. Amare only made up his mind during free agency, not in Feb.

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

sometimes you can't afford to be too cautious. in the nba a lot of things are gambles. you go with your gut feeling and roll with it. morey was so cautious with this 24 minute yao thing. and it fell apart anyways.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

omg, STOP depressing me!

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is no bump of this thread because we will never know if Amare would of signed an extension here. Our future record is irrelevant.

It would of been a stupid gamble.

11. seeingred

seeingred Member

in before JC Denton.

also, trading proven talent for short-term rentals is stupid if you're not one piece away from a title.

12. jae713

jae713 Member

Bottom line is that Morey stuck to his guns. So did the Suns. The Suns could had easily let the Houston doctors take a look at his knees, but didn't because they knew that they're is something wrong with them. The Knicks took a huge gamble and fortunately it's paying off for them. I do not blame Morey for not trading for him withought looking at his knees considering the luck this team has with injuries. What happened happened. No point in looking in the past.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Aggressive=nothing/Results=results.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You know Carmelo wants in New York partially because Amare is there dont you?

16. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Amare won't be MVP and NYK aren't going to make any noise whatsoever (unless they land Melo at the deadline). Even still it won't be enough to contend against Boston, Chicago, Orlando.

I'm glad we didn't sign Amare.

17. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

I still wish we wouldve got em.. Got all high and mighty last year thinking we could get bosh or someone else in the offseason... :(

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Morey want's his iPad back.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Do you know what the Rockets were offering with the extension? According to the article the Rockets were not willing to offer New York type of money becuase of the history to his knees. This tells me the Rockets were not offering max money with the extension.

An MVP caliber player is worth max money. Had the Rockets offered max money he might have been willing to sign the extension.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i could buy trying the rent a player and hope ashton kutcher flaps his wings and the players signs with you scenario if the move made you a championship contender like with the astros and randy johnson (and of course ashton didn't help us there). it didn't work out, but we had a legitimate shot at winning a world series with randy johnson in year 1 and while losing him sucked, taking that shot was worth it, imo.

and while adding an amare/melo caliber player is probably a necessary condition for us to eventually become a real contender, it definitely wasn't going to make us one last year. so we're basically giving up assets that we could use in the future for an essentially irrelevant one-year addition with the likelihood that it's only going to be a one-year addition. if amare signs an extension with us and we can get him for scola/battier, then you can start overlooking the microfracture "is he the next yao/tmac anchor on our roster" issues and think that maybe this is our best chance to add a top 10 or so caliber player and go for it. but with no extension and a seemingly strong desire to sign with NY, it just wasn't worth the risk.

same reason i can't see going after melo with no extension.