1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Storm Riders Thread (Who's staying put)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, Sep 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

77082. There might be maybe a total of 10 windows boarded up in my subdivision.

2. cagey veteran

cagey veteran Member

I evacuated during Hurricane Rita and it was the worst experience of my life, and I ended up stranded at a shelter in Lufkin, where the Hurricane ended up going directly through. It would take a lot for me to evacuate again, unless I was in a low-lying area....

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i cant believe my aunt/uncles/cousins are staying down in the friendswood 77546. I just talked to my cousin and he said they're taking it lightly and are sleeping. Are you kiddin me :eek:

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Learn from Katrina people.......please.......don't take this lightly....

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The vast majority of damage from Katrina was from two things.

First was the terrible storm surge, so if you are out of the storm surge you are fine from that.

Second was the levees breaking and water pouring into the city of New Orleans. Well, Houston is above sea level so this is not a problem either.

A lot of people forget that right after Katrina, New Orleans itself has very little damage, it was the next morning when the levess broke is when all the damage was created.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston can still flood though. Just because you are above sea level means that the water won't stick around but remember how much of Houston flooded during Allison.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

just a little different

that was after a week of a system parked on top of us.

Ike is not expected to hang out that long...and the surge isnt coming all the way into Houston...

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Good luck to all of you. I lived in Houston during Alicia and while it had its exciting moments, we all got through ok.

Should be a crazy night for you guys.

9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Me too, 77015 - Colorado Club Apartments - My wife, grandma, brother, 3 dogs, and I.

10. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

I think it will go more on the east side of galveston. Watch the radar on weather. com

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

77081 here... where you at?

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

In New Orleans, yes. On the east side of the storm (where houston is with Ike) the damage was serious.

Hell, on the north shore the damage was unbelievable compared to New Orleans, simple because of the way katrina moved after landfall.

Be careful out there.

I'm up in Spring. Hope my house in clear lake ain't too damaged. Time for a beer.

13. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Spring 77389

Boarded up like Fort Knox, feeling good about it :cool: !!!

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

15. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

i'm in 77008 Heights along with several others. we are okay but i think we'll be headed to my husband's grandparent's house in the Oak Forest neighborhood.

everyone hang in there!!! 12 hours and counting!

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I can't believe nobody has posted this...it's VERY appropriate. (ignore the title frame there, this is NOT LA Woman)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMvfAYEaE8c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMvfAYEaE8c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:cool:

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Staying in Alvin, 77511. Brick home is boarded, ice is making, water in tub, 175 gallons in water tank, got food, candles, and possibly (hopefully) some stubborn friends who live in Bacliff.
    The only thing I'm worried about is extended power outage (no generator), and possible flooding.
    I've got another home in League City that is probably going to be screwed. :( No prep to it, and a big old tree in front. Water will likely get inside.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

East of HW6, just north of the west park tollway.

19. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Right across the street from me, im on the edge of 77084 and 77095. Shouldn't be TOO bad all the way up here lol

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Post #112

Way to pull a rookie move... :rolleyes: ;)