1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Storm Riders Thread (Who's staying put)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LonghornFan, Sep 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'm on the more westerly end of town... around I-10 and Gessner. We got pounded pretty good all night, but we've still got power except for intermittent 5-second blackouts. Wind is still screaming, lots of debris, but actual damage here seems minimal. I know most of you can't post right now, but I hope you're all doing well.

2. TracyMcCrazyeye

any news from clear lake?

3. junglerules

junglerules Member

Talked to my family in essentially the same area. Sounds like they got extremely strong wind and rain. Some down limbs, perhaps even trees, but overall they escaped without anything too bad, i think.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I've had power and internet back since about 8am. Got enough food and water for one person. Wind is blowing in the opposite direction now but at least it's a bit slower this time around. Gonna be stuck here for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm sorry to break this to you, but Clear Lake is gone -- the last building standing in the entire area is Tookies.

6. LouisianaRocket

prayers go out to that area for sure.

7. KingCheetah

It's not that bad.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

...except I saw your parent's house floating down Neptune.

Wait...aren't you in Austin? lol. I bet our old subdivision in Clear Lake had some minor street flooding and it probably crept halfway up the yards but didn't enter the homes. I would guess there are quite a few downed limbs and some downed fences/trees. But, I wouldn't think there would be much more than that. If people were smart, then they would break out the skim boards and head to the golf course. At least, the kids.

#228 Surfguy, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. LouisianaRocket

normally when some says an area is completely gone.. then I'll probably think it's that bad. still haven't seen my area, but we got slammed pretty hard lastnight, south eyewall isn't what I expected it to be. Almost positive all along 59 is just trashed.

10. KingCheetah

^
    Ha! I've still got a bad ass skimboard in my garage -- I'd love to be hitting the golf course about now with that thing. :D

11. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

That's exactly what we did during Alicia! Good freakin' times...

So, I guess the lack of posts from the Houston area is an indication that the power outage is extensive.

Good luck, y'all...from Austin where it's 100% dry and 100% lacking in football as a result.

12. KingCheetah

It's still early, but it looks like the storm surge was less than expected and the wind speed wasn't strong enough to create serious destruction.

I haven't seen anything from Galveston yet though.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, Clear Lake can go....but for GOD'S SAKE...save SW Tookies !!

DD needs him some Jalepeno burger !!!

14. KingCheetah

That was a set up for a Tookies joke for the locals.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I haven't eaten at Tookies in 20 years, is it still any good?

DD

16. KingCheetah

^
    I think so - but I haven't been there in a while either. I heard they were moving it because of highway expansion, but i'm not sure if that ever happened.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Im not sure how my area (Cinco Ranch) is doing cuz im out here by 290 and barker cypress. We lost power around 5 am and its not back up. Its freaking hot

18. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

yeah but i dunno if i'd go now... im sure that building was flooded to the roof.
    in fact i just saw seabrook report on KHOU looks like the entire bay side of seabrook was under water at least 5 feet of water still there.