1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop trying to trade Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Feb 20, 2010.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How many of those entry pass recipients this year have been 7'5 and relatively immobile?

The entry pass was an issue last year when Brooks and Yao played together.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I happened to have asked Feigen how much Lowry might get in the market this offseason a few days ago. He said its hard to tell, but he'd put it at 6-8 million. BimaThug, who's opinion on these matters I respect, has put it at 4-5 million earlier in the year (and since which, Lowry's stock has gone up).

I'm playing it down the middle and guessing he may be offered 6 million. It could be less than that, but the 2-3 million figure you're putting out there seems very low. But I suppose I'm a crusading zealot for thinking that. :rolleyes:

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Brooks is a more than adequate passer--I'm really not sure what some of you guys are getting on about with him. Some of his drive and kicks this year have been very impressive. He is inconsistent with it because he is inexperienced--that will change as he continues to improve.

He looks to score this year because he is one of only three players on the team this year who can create his own shot. That plus Adelman's system is the reason why he has lower assist numbers.

Lowry has higher assist numbers because he's afraid to shoot from the perimeter--he often passes up open shots because he doesn't think he can make them.

4. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

It's foolish to think Yao will be the main piece and focal point. That ship has sailed. It's all about being a piece to the puzzle now, for any player on this team.

Hopefully the puzzle will be complete by next year.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Those "player is better because he can score more" fans can never see the big picture. They don't know Suns couldn't win Championship because it usually takes a balance team to win the whole thing, unlike regular season.

6. choujie

choujie Member

My guess is 4-5 million as well. Lowry is good enough to start on a lot teams.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

But who was the issue with? Not to mention the Aaron Brooks who will play with Yao next year is a much different one that played with him last year.

Also, should we get rid of Battier and Scola as well? Those guys also threw entry passes to Yao and had trouble with it when he was bracketed. The only reason you remember T-Mac and Rafer so fondly is that so many of the times they tried to pass it to Yao he was single covered from behind. I remember the first game against the Warriors fronting defense getting Yao the ball was quite difficult. And Brooks didnt even play.

8. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Are these people the same that overvalued, Boki and Von Wafer?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

On the contrary DD and I are the ones looking at the big picture and realizing the reasons why Brooks' assist numbers are lower. It's the brainless "strat Lowery!!!1" fans who are missing the big picture.

10. choujie

choujie Member

Ab is a more than adequate passerr if he plays SG. But below avarage as PG. Remember that 18 asts/22TOs performence in the 7 game series against Lakers? I don't recall any staring PG has done that in a playoff series before.
    And it will be fatal against strong opponents.

The last part is not true. Lowry doesn't pass up open shots that much. He has higher assist nubmers because his court vision simply is better than AB.

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I dont care how much Brooks can score. I take offense to folks ripping him because a 7 and a half footer who weighs 300 pounds cant create a decent enough target to receive a pass. The Rockets team will be very well balanced with guys that can hit you from all angles. I mean, Martin, Brooks, Battier out on the 3 line? I remember days when Battier was the best 3 point shooter on the team.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we can package him for an All-star caliber player than he will be traded. Morey isn't going to trade him though for anything.

13. choujie

choujie Member

What reason? The only reason is AB doesn't know when and how to pass like other great PGs do.

Lowry could find Landry so much easier than AB, if you happened to see the game.

14. choujie

choujie Member

Unless AB can improve his defense a lot or Martin can play real good defense, that team will not be balance. Since there is only one ball, the gain on offense may not be enough to cover the loss on defense by AB/Martin.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

You mean his first season to ever start a game in the NBA, when he had only played 608 minutes in his rookie year and didn't even start until the second half of the season? When he was playing arguably the best team in basketball in a high-stakes playoff game? That season?

Going to have to agree to disagree here. The majority of games he plays in, Lowry seems unwilling to shoot from the outside almost no matter what the situation is. He gets hot occasionally, but that's it.

He is particularly timid to do anything in a half court situation. When the team gets stuck in a half court game he has a tendency to just kick it around the perimeter while the shot click ticks down, relying on others to create the offense.

He's great when he can play his full court game, run the floor and pass to people on the fast break or attack the basket when the offense isn't ready and draw the foul. That's his strength and that's why he's great off the bench. Nobody can start and run the court for a full 36-40 minutes the way he does.

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I could see if we won a title. But you're telling me that giving up to integral young players, who had much success after they left Houston, was worth beating Seattle in the 2nd round? Guess I just have loftier ambitions than that.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Disagree. He is the same height and has given no indication that his court vision is improved. His main problem is that he's short. Yao can usually get open but the window is very brief. Brooks simply is not equipped with the tools to take advantage of this window.

Clearly his issue was with Yao, and if the situation ultimately boils down to keeping either Brooks or Yao, we all know we'll be keeping Yao.

If they had trouble, it wasn't nearly to the extent that Brooks had trouble. That's like saying "So what if McGrady misses some free throws. Ray Allen misses some too."

So you're trying to prove your point by referencing one game?

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nope. You have a lack of understanding. In retrospect, knowing the kinds of players that Horry and Cassell developed into, I would still have traded them for Barkley.

Olajuwon's window of greatness was closing, and we needed to take advantage of it.

Horry and Cassell did have future success, but only as role players. And when you have the opportunity to trade role players for a star, you take it.

19. choujie

choujie Member

All excuses. We have seen enough games to notice AB is not as good a passer as Lowry, and he makes more bad decisions thant Lowry. Can we agree on that?

Lowry's half court game isn't nearly bad as you said. But hs can push the tempo to make it a full court much better than AB. Full court game is not there for you to take, you need to create it. That's another strength of Lowry's.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I just got clarification on this. Feigen guesses it 6-8 million for Lowry and Scola. That seems extremely low, but I'd love it if it happens.