1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOP Shooting 3s CUTINO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 26, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cutino needs to just stick to driving the ball to the hoop, apparently he is quicker than any of the Lakers, but he loves to jack up 3s.

Who does he think he is? Vernon Maxwell? Only Rockets who should shoot 3 pointers in the playoffs are named:
    Horry
    Cassell
    Maxwell
    Kenny Smith
    Mario Elie

NO ONE on our current team can hit clutch 3s, they should stick to driving it to the hole.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ummm. No. He is one of our better 3 poiint shots, His shot is off right now, but the best way to get over that is to keep on shooting. True a given 2 points is nice, but the thrill and possibility of 3 makes it more interesting.

3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

the rockets need a dead eye shooter. something like Chris Mullin when he was good. why aren't there players like that in the NBA anymore??

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Cutino isnt a good 3pointer shooter, look at his stats.
    Until he proves he's a clutch 3point shooter, then he should stick to driving the ball. Apparently thats the Lakers weakness.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

We need RAY ALLEN!!

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

A soft player. Not the best D, almost the same game as cat with better shot. Would you really trade Steve for him, since that is the only way something like this could happen.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This series has been a perfect example of how much the Rox depend on the 3-pointer.

Except for game 3, the Rox have shot the 3-ball horribly. Both JJ and Cat are missing 3's that normally go in and it's costing us. I don't want Cat to stop shooting 3's if he's open, but shooting 2-8 behind the arc isn't good.

4-22 3pointers today!! JJ and Cat went 3-15 behind the arc and most were open looks, we convert on some of those and we win. But thats not the only reason we lost.

8. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Your best way cost us a game.

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

If we could only trade for Cato and Mobley for Redd and a player or pick?...... hmmm..is this possible?

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was two years ago. Dallas gave Micheal Redd away for nothing. Bucks just came in and bought him. Rockets had no interest. They wuv their boys too much to trade! Why pick up some shooter, anyway? We have Cuttino! Perfect.

Now, Redd is a legit allstar. Cuttino - isn't.

There's a long list of very good players that we didn't trade for.

#10 pasox2, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  11. stra

stra Member

Believe in BOKI next year with JJ at the 2 and perhaps we trade Cat for a PF or something.. Boki needs playing time then he can contribute in many ways..one being the 3 pointer.

12. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

...'um, I don't remember Michael Redd playing for the Mavs.

D R

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

huh? what are you talking about. If your gonna make things up at least try to make it sound half realistic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/statistics?statsId=3442

14. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, Cat is a good 3 points shooter. But the Rockets are living and die on the arc now, if their 3 pointers aren't falling, we are most likely to loose.

We need a backup plan, so even our 3s isn't falling, we still could win the game. One thing I think Cat and JJ should do is when they are wide open on the arc with defender running at them, fake a 3, get the defender out of their position, and take the ball to the basket. This should cause the whole Lakers defense to shift, and someone got to be open for a mid range jumper or even a layup.

I know this is harder to do than it sounds with Shaq inside, but we need something new when we have a bad shooting night.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Don't need DEAD EYE
    we need good Eye

4-22 .. . HHHOOOORRRIIIIBBBLLLEEEEE

Rocket RIver

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, pardon me. Dallas made the offer to restricted free agent Micheal Redd that the Bucks matched.

from RealGM :

TRANSACTIONS
    09/30/02: The Mavericks signed Michael Redd to a 4-year, $12 million offer sheet. The Bucks have 15 days to match the offer.

10/14/02: The Bucks matched Dallas' offer sheet for Michael Redd. Redd is now signed to a 4-year, $12 million contract with the Bucks.

Notice the low price. This was before the Bucks cleaned house, when they had Ray Allen and Sam Cassell starting.

The Bucks were hungry for a big man at the time. Redd had already shown he was a very good jump shooter. If the Rockets had been willing to ship Cato for a bad contract, they could have packaged a swap of Cuttino for Redd.

I also think we could have got Artest a year ago in a similar deal.

I think CD sits on his hands. He's afraid to deal. When he finally does, everyone knows he's forced.

GMs need to be aggressive to get rising talent.

#16 pasox2, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  17. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Look at how many other teams missed out on him, that's like a look back at the draft saying how we missed out on some diamond-in-the-rough second-rounder.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Cutino is too quick to just be jacking up 3s.
    At least he should follow cassell and stick to 15 ft jumpers.
    He has the quicks but not the brains.

Some one on the Rockets needs to step up like the old days!

19. jelanit

jelanit Contributing Member

I agree tinman. Cat has one of the quickest first steps in the league. Plus he's a leftie. His slashing game should be utilized to the fullest extent. I think he has gotten comfortable jacking up threes, but I don't think many can stop him when he drives. Oh, if only there was a for me to relay that to him.

20. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Yeah he is good at slashing but he doesnt shoot 3's just for the hell of it. He is good at it, and he knows it. They dont just let any scrub be in the 3 point shootout. Him and Jim know they can drain it, they just had a couple off nights. For whoever said that the rockets cant shoot 3's and should just drive in obviously doesnt wath the games. (I recall one game where he was shooting so well that he just looked at his hands and was shaking his head saying he didnt know what was going on).