1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop giving Ariza a free pass!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsballin, May 9, 2015.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

in his 8 playoff games, which is plenty of time to break out of a funk, he's 34% from the field, 23% from three. there's no excuses here.
    his elite defense wont make up for his countless missed open shots. even beverley shoots better

i'd rather have a starting sf who's average offense/good defense than ariza's elite defense/borderline passable offense.

he is playing too many minutes, should be in the low 30s, but thats no reason to shoot so terrible in the playoffs.
    shouldnt trade him, but should look for a new starting sf who's what i described above. ariza the backup 3/2 and some 4, giving him around 25mpg.
    split the minutes with the starting sf so ariza gets less time there and doesnt close out games.

harden can do more but he's fine. 27/4/8 46fg% 40 3pt%, 1.4stls. playing two positions at the same time he's gonna rack up some turnovers. overall better numbers than the regular season, thats what superstars are supposed to do. he and dwight are doing it. the defense hasnt been there in the playoffs for the most part

[​IMG]

2. hoopball

hoopball Member

harden certainly can do much more given his unacceptable turnover numbers and lackadaisical D but other than that, i agree with you, ariza has been a major disappointment when it comes to our offense.

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Trade him to the Bucks and watch him average 40% from three again.

What the hell is going on???

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Why, you expect Harden to guard CP3, then Blake, then Crawford?

Nah, leave Ariza alone. He may not be scoring, but he's playing hard on the defensive side.

5. conquistador#11

why should i give him a free pass, he is just going to miss the lay up or the three!
    ( i expect him to get back to his averages by game 6)

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Because he is one of two players on our team (Howard being the other) that is actually playing hard and is giving it their best

The Clippers aren't laying off him defensively which is good.. if they do I may change my opinion or stance but because they are not.. what he is missing he is making up on the defensive side easily in turnovers and stops

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

haha, I think you're the first one here who cracked a joke after the nghtmare game last night

8. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

He's busting his hump and at least takes it to the basket for a dunk because he's tired of missing shots. How many times have we seen Harden do that? You can forgive a guy like Ariza for missing shots more than anyone else on the team, even though his percentages are very disappointing giving his numbers with the Wiz.

9. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Ariza has been excellent defensively, yet again.

ONE dunk does not justify his offensive liabilities. One dunk isn't "busting his hump"

10. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Someone photoshop the Rockets Starting 5.

[​IMG]

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's an atrocious offensive player. Not sure why people expect much more out of him when we've seen him all year do this. At least he is one of two guys who are trying defensively.

12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Ariza has definitely been a sub-par 3-pt shooter this year

I believe he was over 40% last year... does any have theories on why he's dropped so much this year??

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Ariza gets a pass because he's one of only two people actually putting in effort every night on D

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

There's the ever-popular contract year theory. I haven't bought it in the past, but damn, it seems reliable in his career. How the hell does that effect shooting ability though?

15. KePoW

oh I forgot that was his contract year

But still, like you said I'm not sure if that makes you consciously shoot worse/better from the 3

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He wasn't brought in to be a scoring threat.

He's not being used like he was in Washington. There, he could find rhythm.

Our offense isn't fluid like other teams. That's part of the reason.

Trevor is told to shoot the open shot, and as well all know, there are games where he is unstoppable. I'm hoping Game 5 brings it back.

I only blame him for going under the screen so much. CP3 and Scrub Rivers shouldn't have been that open.

17. KePoW

I understand that Ariza is never expected to initiate offense with us (drive, post-up, etc)

But I'm strictly talking about all the set stand-up 3's he gets... why is he shooting those at such a lower percentage than last year? I expected 40% at least

18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i'm not as mad as ariza as i am at mchale...when ariza runs pnr, it's so vividly clear that the opposing team will go on a 10 point run after...

that's on the coach to not draw up a single decent play...f this coach man...ariza has been great on defense, but we are so limited offensively

19. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Brewer is the one I'm not giving a free pass, the reaching, dumb fouls and losing control of his legs and careless passing has made me dislike him very much. He can take that **** to another team if he keeps it up.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

5-star photoshop