1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stock Trades Reported by Nearly a Fifth of Congress Show Possible Conflicts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pelosi isn't even among the folks in their research...

The article is over 20k words. Some of the main details below.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/09/13/us/politics/congress-stock-trading-investigation.html
    A New York Times analysis found that 97 lawmakers or their family members bought or sold financial assets over a three-year span in industries that could be affected by their legislative committee work.

2. Invisible Fan

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

so many of them are doing it and all trying to gain profit one way or another

jiggyfly, adoo, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Oz selling dangerous snake oil for his own personal profit?

Shocked!

5. Nook

Nook Member

Remove them all from office.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shoot em'. Got em, use em. NEXT. - DD

Nook likes this.
  7. body slam

body slam Member

8. adoo

adoo Member

one of them, Chris Collins of NY, was caught calling his son to sell his shares in a Australia pharma co. he was prosecuted and plead guilty

but this biggest violator has Richard Burr of NC; his served on the committee that was privy to confidential info provided by pharmaceutical industry leaders at the beginning of the pandemic in that same day, Burr sold his large holding of pharma stocks

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Surprised, I have not heard more about this.

Fetterman probably has it in his back pocket and is waiting until closer to the election.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

11. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

lol WTH? First I'm going to be stupid, then I'm going to raise and record it, then I'm going all in baby, and posting it on the internet.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

How does Kelly Loeffler get a pass?

13. Two Sandwiches

I wonder what the fraction of Congress members increasing their wealth 10x during their service is?

I'm guessing it's half or more?

body slam and Nook like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Reason why Pelosi wasn't on "the list" was because it was narrowed to people serving on the same committees with obvious conflicts of interests with the stocks they or their family owns.

They pulled the data from this site.
    https://www.capitoltrades.com/

The article goes into those two and a few others. I think the entire article has 30k characters...

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tuberville is too stupid to take advantage of his position.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, if this bill actually meant something for punishment, then there would be a better chance of them voting to put term limits in. I mean it'd be nice if it actually curbed the behavior, but even if it did pass (and was more strict, more on that below) - would you really believe them? All it would do is make it a little harder, ie - someone else would trade for them etc..

I mean there's too much temptation and insane money to be made, especially when you know ahead of time of how a vote will go or privileged information before it even hits the media.

Also, I am not just targeting one side in my comment, both sides do it without a doubt. It's similar to companies putting money in their pockets for certain things to get pushed through.

And this from the bill - "A Member of Congress who does not comply with the bill's requirements is subject to a fine equal to the Member's monthly congressional salary"... they make more money in stocks/investments than they ever will from their salary. If I was in congress and that actually made it through, I'd like to say I'd follow the rules, but we all know this is less than a slap on the wrist to them.

Apologize in advance if I missed something.

#18 CCity Zero, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to encourage any step in the right direction, especially if it brings attention to a problem that has gotten little attention.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree with you, like if the media published it on the fines maybe it might lead to some good in the polls/real change so I'm all for it. Or even if it's just a small step to start at least it's something like you stated.

Like I truly mean it on both sides doing it too, if it leads to something bigger I'm all for it. I mean the advantage they have vs the normal public is insane.

My comment above was more showing my frustration with the situation vs debating the topic (very sorry if it came out like that).

Tl;dr- definitely agree with you and I am on same page with you.