1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some of this move-up can be attributed to their new Gorilla Glass called Victus that Samsung will be using in phones.

https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass/worldwide/en/glass-types/gorilla-glass-victus.html
    https://www.wired.com/story/gorilla-glass-victus/
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/Sam...ld-2-will-sport-Gorilla-Glass-Victus_id126132

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I posted the following in the Coronavirus thread, as well, but for those following this for a trade, this was announced earlier :

Moderna heading to Phase 3 :

COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Heads To Widespread Testing In U.S.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ndidate-heads-to-widespread-testing-in-people

(The Pfizer/BioNTech combo will also be entering Phase 3 of their attempt at a vaccine later this week, I believe)

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

FANG companies have to testify to Congress this Weds re: antitrust so there could be some movement there. Apple has been looking soft lately and I could see it taking a temporary dip. I'm looking to build a position on Apple long-term as I predict they will pivot into pushing an ad platform after the release of iOS 14, which will give them a huge monopoly over user data and restrict data from anyone else (Google, FB, etc.).

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pfizer and BioNTech began late-stage human trial for coronavirus vaccine Monday
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/pfi...man-trial-for-coronavirus-vaccine-monday.html

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I have it in my long-term holding account but I enjoy the thrill of playing earnings. Often FB and Googl move together but I’d have to hear what FB says to see if it’s worth the gamble. Honestly though I’m not expecting much from any of the FAAN/MG names this quarter.

saitou likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Any of you guys on the gold/silver train? I've been in GLD since last year, FCX since June, and in SLV since March. I want to get off, but you know how that goes ... I don't see the precious metal trade talked about much here, and was curious if any of you have an opinion.

8. adoo

adoo Member

don’t know much about previous metals, other than that they’re hedges against inflation/weakening US$; been in GLD since QE3 under Obama.

w the tidy sum from closing my AMD calls, started position in Shw and wfc, from different ends of the stock / trading spectrum

[​IMG]
    shw belongs to the material / home building sectors, both are doing well; since the turn of the century SHW has outperformed the SP 500

i look for continuing dependable performance, beating the S&P 500

[​IMG]
    i like the new CEO, right off the bat, he fired 6 of the senior mgmt group members. he is gonna change the culture at WFC, as well as
    pushing hard for increased productivity

WFC was the only major bank that, as a result of the mandated financial stress test, ordered to cut the dividend, which could be a blessing in disguise.
    this increase in cash flow can then be re-directed to more CapEx to increase productivity​

#10988 adoo, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I sold off MUX ytd, a small silver/gold miner that went up over 50% in less than 2 months of owning it, price seemed way overbought lol. Started a small position in GDX when you advised me to diversify. Will just hold it as a hedge; no intention to add/sell unless it falls below my buy price (looks unlikely now).

Maybe gold is the answer to brrrr, but even in best case scenario the odds of it beating good growth stocks on long term returns is so slim... Also with companies you can look into tangible things like the business model, past sales/performance, the product, etc to make educated guesses on future trajectory. Gold/silver seems much harder to project; no idea where it's going so I'll stick to stocks.

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

[​IMG]
    @adoo does this look bearish with potential to break lower? on the verge of breaking support @ $22.50?

adoo likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

yes, it looks weak.
    • lower highs trending
    • 20 dma steadily below 50dma for several consecutive months
      • no strength in price action push 20dma higher
    connect the last 2 peaks of the MACD fastline, it is a descending line, weak

ok, as long as you don't get caught w dividends which, at current price, yield > 9%, 2.25% each quarter

assume the X-Div is this Fri, given the 2.25% qtrly yield, on Thu, there'd be a rush to buy the stock to get the dividend

#10991 adoo, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Did you buy ? Looks interesting, added to watch list, may take a gamble if it drops further. Goldman set a $44 target price.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I usually don't invest in them, and they're volatile as hell sometimes - especially silver and gold miners. I wanted to get into PAAS since May or June but didn't because silver always tends to burn me, so I'm wary -- especially of a silver miner. :D

saitou likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. adoo

adoo Member

this unhappy meal is a double-top short candidate
    [​IMG]

CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Anyone remember when Kodak got in the bitcoin mining business in January 2018? Be warned!

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42630136

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

AMD up 9.10% after earnings.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, adoo, saitou and 2 others like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

SBUX up 6-7% afterhours after announcing lower-than-expected losses and raising guidance (gutsy).

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Up another 50% afterhours... up about 250% today. I think I'm going to just play some games. Hope I can see through my tears.

CCity Zero likes this.