1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, and I completely forgot about Apple dumping them in favor of their own manufacturing for their chips. That's not a huge revenue hit for Intel, but it may still point to problems internally. The rest of the semi market is popping on that news. It makes me wonder if that's why TSM is up so big today. They're in bed with AMD, and who knows - maybe Intel will end up outsourcing some of their fab work to them.

Sajan, saitou and CCity Zero like this.
  2. adoo

adoo Member

a little education on semis.

which ones will reap the most benefits---via pin-ball action--from the increased demand for electric autos such as TSLA

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yep, Intel may have to outsource to tsmc or samsung; long term this strengthens tsmc's leadership position, and they already control 50% of the foundry market. Amd will also make more chips at tsmc.

I think the foundry equipment suppliers (klac, asml) are down cos Intel may buy less equipment moving fwd, but even if that's true, whoever is picking up the production slack will have to buy more equipment, it's an overreaction imo.

4. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Just checked - tesla's chip was fabricated on Samsung's 14nm process. For the traditional automakers that can't design their own ai chip and need to use someone else's, nvda seems to be the leader atm. But with so many fabless companies, imo easiest way to catch upward trend for all semis is pick the monopolies/duopolies at the different fab stages:
    ASML - euv lithography equipment monopoly (canon and Nikon only have duv)
    Klac - dominant Metrology/inspection equipment (asml also competes here)
    Cdns/snps - design software duopoly
    Tsmc - foundry (only real competition at advanced nodes are Samsung Intel, maybe smic in future)

Nvda have traditionally used tsmc, but for next gen cards rumour is that they have gone to Samsung to save $.

#10964 saitou, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    CCity Zero, Cokebabies and adoo like this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

a short candidate going into its 7-29-2020 ERS, after market close

[​IMG]
    ever since reaching its post-COVID19 high in early Jun, BA has been on a continuation of lower highs.
    that coupled w the delay in MAX 737 deliveries, spells a bearish outlook for going into Q3.

i am selling a bearish CALL spread, effectively a synthetic short, w options that will expire on 8-28-2020

bto 177.5 strike CALL
    sto 172.5 strike CALL, for a net credit of $2.70, defining the max risk of $2.30
    should BA trade below $172.5, at 8-28-2020, i get to keep the $2.70 premium collected in advance.
    i m risking $2.30 to win $2.70.

saitou likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Buy, buy, buy.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yup everyone here put their millions into Boeing. Don’t short the USA. Keep America Great they say.

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I have GILD 80 calls 8/21. Earnings on Thursday. BA will be interesting. The forward guidance on MAX being certified could help them even if they did not meet expectations this quarter.

[​IMG]

whag00 likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

the ERS will likely reveal more details of this

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...ders-deliveries-avolon-lufthansa-vistara.html

Boeing faces fresh wave of canceled orders, aircraft delivery deferrals (not just the 747 MAX line,
    but also others such as the 787 Dreamliner and 777X) amid Covid-19 resurgence

#10969 adoo, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Biggest week of earnings season and that Thursday after market close will be fun. I will be listening to FB says about ad spending to help me decide if I want to buy more GOOGL. RTN and L3harris will be interesting especially after LMT beat last week.

But the biggest market mover and event of the week will probably be the fed meeting.

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3595175-tsmc-gets-large-intel-chip-order-apple-r-and-d-plant-reports

insanity

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AMD putting in work today .. New 52 week high

14. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Can share your reasons for adding GOOGL? Help me believe haha.

I trimmed a bit today and was considering closing the position to buy other stuff. Seems like the main biz doesn't have much room to grow, I don't think they can beat amzn/msft in cloud, and they can't seem to execute on their other new projects (stadia been a fail, you'd think adding streaming functions for youtube would be easy but i see users still complaining how clunky the experience is vs twitch, etc). I thought their creep into travel (aggregating the aggregators) was great, but travel is kinda dead now. I guess youtube can grow more and google maps could be exploited further.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

16. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Any thoughts on catching a bounce in Intel or are they going nowhere in the foreseeable future? GG to whoever got into TSMC before the pop.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I wouldn't pretend to know the ins and outs of Intel's business, but personally I wouldn't touch due to the uncertainty at Intel, there are other stocks I'd rather buy.

edit: uncertainty over 10nm for the next year. They've been struggling to get it out for notebooks, nevermind desktop/server. Their next desktop CPU rocket lake will be a 10nm design back-ported to 14nm. Lots of bad signs.

Switching to TSMC is probably a good move for 2022-3, but they will still see market share loss for the next year. I'm guessing this deal was in the works before the earnings call, and they still guided down for next 2 quarters. The next 6 months to 1 year will still be huge for AMD.

Long term this will drive up prices and eat at margins for both intel and amd as everyone bids for capacity at TSMC.

#10977 saitou, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm thinking of trying it on Intel, it should go up since target is still high. But I also expected AMD to have a quicker pull back.

I'm just thinking options though and not investing etc.

19. adoo

adoo Member

GLW, w a 7-28 ERS, and heavy CALL option volume, has all these bullish TA characteristics
    • the rise after a cup w handle formation
    • the rise after a flag formation
    • wave #3, if u subscribe to the Elliot Wave theory
    • the golden cross, where the 50DMA is crossing over the 200DMA
    • bullish engulfing candlestick
    [​IMG]

#10979 adoo, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

KLAC rebounded, up 5% today. It's like intel's order to TSMC made the market realise "oh wait, intel may buy less equipment, but now TSMC will buy more"; so dumb lol.