1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

up 8% on earnings today.

2. dmoneybangbang

Without the environmental/regulatory credits, Tesla wouldn't have shown 4 consecutive quarters of profits.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

many red. let's see how INTC's earnings look.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... Today isn't looking great atm

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Ouch...down 8%

But on the brightside INTC's pain is AMD's gain...up 6%

saitou likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

at the ERS conference call, INTC reported a delay in the delivery of its new supposedly faster chip by ~ 3 mos
    [​IMG]
    perhaps, that's why

AMD traded as high as 65 after hours​

#10946 adoo, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I was expecting intc 2q earnings to be good due to wfh and datacentre, giving confidence that amd 2q would be good; this is even better for amd - intc very good 2q and poor fwd looking guidance due to chip delays. Amd's window to eat market share has expanded (intc with its budget is eventually going to close the tech gap, amd needs to maximize the window).

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Intel's crash was the delay in the 7nm production, but most of the other stuff, like their PC/server market sounded ok, I think. The interesting thing about that call was that Swan said they may outsource the manufacturing of some of the chips to someone else. Intel generally uses their own fab facilities to produce chips while companies like AMD buddies-up with TSMC for a lot of their chip production. If Intel can't get their act together, somebody's going to get that business if they outsource it.

saitou likes this.
  9. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

@Dr of Dunk that's what I thought when I read the news too (guidance didn't seem terrible) but reading analyst reactions, I think the bigger issue is a loss of credibility and doubts over whether they can even deliver 10nm in volume (they will still launch 10nm this year, the issue is yields and at what volume); the fact that they are looking at outsourcing is a giveaway that even 10nm is in trouble.

Edit: this is also great news for the other foundries. Not sure who intel outsources to - tsmc helps your CPU rival's foundry get an even bigger process lead over you, Samsung helps your high speed storage rival. No good choices for Intel.

#10949 saitou, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I don't know if it's "10nm is in trouble" or "10nm is in trouble because we can't keep up with demand"... it's kind of a bad thing vs, bad but in a good way thing, I guess. I don't know about this one. There have been way too many semi stocks out there that are doing so much better, INTC hasn't really been on my radar. I'm also so concerned about pullbacks in the sector that I haven't invested in LRCX, ASML, XLNX, etc. yet. I feel I need to be more defensive or something. lol.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

INTC should rebound sooner than later... Thinking calls far out, but I do like AMD finally getting some wins, especially for competition. Feels like the time AMD beat Intel initially to real multicore processors. Hoping AMD focuses on GPUs more to give Nvidia more competition too

12. adoo

adoo Member

do u mean uniliever, who has gap up to the top of a trading channel ?[​IMG]

i have "channeled" the proceeds from the sale of a small portion of my Aug 156 strike CALL on AMD to start a position in CVS,
    who X-Div last Tue and will ERS on 5 Aug

[​IMG]

btw, kudos to u, ur CALL on AMD has become 4-bagger, no?

13. adoo

adoo Member

OMI hinted that it will report great Q2 financial performance on Aug 5 due to the extraordinary demand for
    personal protective equipt, which it produces
    [​IMG]

i m considering buying a PUT just before the 5 Aug ERS

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I don't know why I didn't jump on AMD, I've been in/out of it quite a bit and the time I don't get in on it is when it really goes. Hope you guys made a lot.

On CVS what strike/date were you thinking? Regardless CVS should get you something here. I was messing around with TGT calls this week, small breakout to get through $123. I think $130 is still within reason in short term. But not in it currently atm.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Put could be nice considering the run it's on.

16. adoo

adoo Member

it's near the bottom of a trading channel, goin into ERS, i m considering Aug 65 CALL

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think it should work out nice. I'll let you know if I find anything exciting.

18. adoo

adoo Member

AMD just traded above 69
    one of the few times that i've been right

The Real Shady and CCity Zero like this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Thanks! Looks like you made a tidy pile too :) Yep UNA = amsterdam listing for unilver, bought it back in May. Closed my Unilever position and AMD calls to add more KLAC and ASML which were down today.

For semis, currently long shares:
    ASML
    KLAC
    AMD
    TSM

The other semi-related i've been eying is CDNS, but waiting for a better entry.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Read a bit more on the reactions to INTC's latest delays and this is what I gather/infer - 7nm was critical to INTC as they saw it as a shortcut to getting out of their 10nm problems that have been plaguing them since 2014 (low yields, very expensive to produce in significant volume). In the past INTC has blamed the lack of usable EUV equipment (which is more precise) and having to use DUV equipment for 10nm, and now that EUV is available, 10nm would be a stopgap before quickly moving to EUV and ramping up production at 7nm. They thought 7nm would be easier with the EUV equipment than 10nm with DUV, but EUV has its own set of complications.

Latest "6 month" delay to 7nm means they will be relying on the old 14nm process for volume for the next 2 years. They will have 10nm products out, but at low volume. Also analysts are interpreting 6 months as really a 1 year delay in terms of real volume.

Sajan and CCity Zero like this.