1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice one, Man... I passed up on my 615 call or whatever it was on Monday morning (I figured it'd go but not like this...), I'm making great plays!! I was trying to find value calls/puts leading into week. So far I'm at least covered/up but I need to spend more time on dd. Lately just got a bit lazy at the worst time.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I think this is a great play to have in case with how out of control Tesla/stocks have been. I construct mine similar if it's a high risk/amount so I am covered at least and if it runs one way I'll be up a good amount. Or if I get lucky it goes up a ton Monday (and I've way covered both call/put +profits), sell it and let the put run till it comes back down for more profit or expires (if I can't recover anything by Friday etc)

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I don't normally bother with PFE but really hoping 37-39+ by Friday. We'll see...

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So not giving advice or guarantees on anything specific but sometimes on these plays options play really nice leading up to earnings, really volitale and nice value on a call etc., after earnings you'll see them up sometimes, but lead up to could be nice play. With MSFT I think it'll go up as mentioned but I'm not in the play and don't want to state something or give false advice on anything. If I enter something like that I'll try to post as I'm doing it. But as you can see lately my plans are not maxing profit...

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you really believe this, you probably didn't spend too much time on Yahoo forums in the 90's and 00's, on reddit, or Discord/Telegram. All it is a bunch of pump-n-dumpers trying to get a big enough following. And it's amazing -- they've never lost a trade, either, because most don't tell you when they get out or about many losing trades.

So it's the quantity that bothers you? I can't tell, since if scams are what you hate, you must not associate yourself with anything... investment banks, mortgage banking, brokerages, auto dealerships/shops, ac repair guys, drug companies, home builders, insurance companies, electric companies, etc. They're probably all scums-of-the-earth if taking advantage of people is a bad thing. One thing about analysts, though -- if they're continuously wrong, most people stop following them.

I'm sure you know that stuff happens all day long with the less-successful, small guys, too, it's just that they weren't quite as cut-throat at it as GS guys are. lol. What about small potatoes financial planners that make commissions by selling specific instruments to clients even though less expensive ones with similar or better performance exist? Hey, they gotta make those fees and commissions, right? You know what would be cool? If these guys don't beat the market, refund all the fees, losses, commissions, etc. :D Oh, but then the cat would be out of the bag that most of them don't beat the market consistently and their results are usually worse or some random hit-or-miss result.

Welcome to capitalism, y'all. :)

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I switched to Ally for investing a month ago. Does anyone use and set up DRIP. I've looked at their fairly straightforward directions? And am failing to see the settings that they are saying should be there

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have Ally for a CD and savings but not for stocks, so I can't check. Just call them up. Or just do it over chat.
    I use TD Ameritrade for trading and they have settings for DRIPs on an individual position basis.

CCity Zero and peleincubus like this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Maybe I am the idiot. I see stuff like 16% unemployment in 2 months and think it's a bad time to invest.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I tried with their chat and phone. Unsuccessful in both. It’s seems so straight forward lol

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It may be. But I have traded intermittently the last 15+ years. Up until 6 weeks ago I had everything taken out until March again. So for me it is fine because I didn’t take those losses. And am going to cut back on the day trading generally and go for the longer term route. I’m in the middle of taking some harder classes and don’t need to be putting too much thought into options and shorting. Set it and forget it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It depends on your timeline and what your definition of "investing" is. No one can tell you in the short-term if it's a good time or bad time, especially if you're investing for the short-term. Short-term trading is about continuously making good calls with multiple trades. Long-term, however, pick a day, any day, and it's probably a good time (assuming you're not about to retire).

The other thing is, logically, the best time to invest is when the market is down or after a crash. But that's always the toughest thing to do. Many stocks have already bounced HUGE from their lows a few weeks ago including decimated stocks like airlines. This doesn't mean the market won't tank again. Again, no one knows except in the long run most of these stocks will come back as long as they're solid companies not laden with debt or burning through cash daily.

Of course it also depends on what kind of available cash you have available and any disposable income you may have. If you have a job, make sure you have emergency funds first. And by emergency funds, I mean enough to survive for 6+ months if possible. That's more important than trying to become a millionaire overnight in the market. :D

dmoneybangbang and CCity Zero like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So you talked to them and the option for DRIP still doesn't show up? That would be really weird. What stock/ETF are you trying to do DRIP with?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

https://www.ally.com/help/invest/dividend-reinvestment.html

I meant after reading this I did not see under their "ally live" a link. I'm most likely an idiot and just don't see it haha

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So if you're thinking realistically and the market is actually following the economy - sure, it's probably not ideal since there's more to go, but timing the market is something people will lose at more times than not. And even if you time the bottom wrong but have money in solid companies there's money to be made long-term. Some will certainly fall lower and a lot have been artifically held up/pumped by several factors but the money is there and red is the best time to buy.

For example, if I could only pick one point to invest either in a market in peak February or a Market now, I'd pick now. And While it can/will still go down, it's a lot easier to avg down and buy more than when it's at an all time high. I mean most new/new investors (so not you/anyone - but an example) would state the opposite because green is good, but it's only good when your money is already in play.

With that said though- you always want to be careful, weigh your risks and be smart, but the same thing could be said in a perfect market. I mean think back to the housing crash, it felt near instant. I still remember smart trader guys that knew their stuff and even taught me a lot not seeing it hit like it did, sure they knew it probably couldn't go forever but it literally just hit and was an absolute disaster. Unfortunately I was a lot newer at trading and honestly was just focused on keeping my house. For me in investments... property comes first then stocks.

Anyway, if I was in a position like I am now though I'd have invested and not looked back, I mean it's a fire sale. I don't think anyone's an idiot for not investing especially depending on circumstances, but I do think it's a missed opportunity (if you can) because this isn't the norm. Anyone who misses this will look back and wonder why they didn't invest.

Another way to look at this is you're getting 2-4+ shares for the price of 1. You basically just doubled up (or more) without even making a move (obviously this depends on the sector you're investing, but there are stocks like this). Right now the worst spot though is for people that can't invest or the people that were about to retire, I mean they might be stuck from retiring anytime soon since they just lost a chunk of their retirement, but then again, I mean I guess it's better to have a chance than not, but just sucks.

#9357 CCity Zero, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

How do you like Ally so far? I have Fidelity (for 401k)/Webull/RH - but need to throw RH in the trash - I'm thinking of switching to TD or even Fidelity, RH hasn't burned me yet but as I up money on short plays I don't trust them - ie order failed etc and you're stuck missing a nice climb

Webull is great for the extended trading hours but I seriously hate their platform...

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh also, let me know if you get DRIP working, I like that they allow fractionals so you can get max return without having to watch it superclose. Haha, I mean I still watch my 401k/long investments anyway.... But it's nice to not have to miss dividends sitting there.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I used Tradeking several years ago. Which I believe Ally took as their own to use when they merged. The interface is very simple to use in my opinion.

CCity Zero likes this.