1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you haven't noticed no really cares about debt. I think people need to forgot the old gold standard bullshit economics. It doesn't work.If people have money they spend money, people have jobs and the world goes on.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Couldn't have said it better. What the stocks are doing does not correlate to what's happening AROUND the world. This is far worse than dot com bubble or financial crisis. This is straight up global shutdown. Yet we making bull runs after bull runs...

Sept 2018 to Dec 2018 - ~18% down
    Feb 2020 to today - 20% down (peak 34% down).

What signs have we seen to indicate we should have recovered 14%?? Nothing!

3. Senator

Senator Member

No, you don't get it.
    Pre production and locating costs of shale are off the charts - it's a last resort that can be used to keep the Saudi's and Russia in check. The second oil prices do go that high, that's when the US (which has 80%+ of world's shale reserves) can go domestic and make profitable shale. But they really don't need to be doing it now, nor is it profitable when oil is $30 barrel.

4. Senator

Senator Member

These minor runs in the stock market are aggravating way too many new and fickle investors. They do not reflect the market, only public sentiment to the pandemic that is corona. Once it actually is in control and people aren't dying left and right, that's when you'll see more accurate reflections and long term drops. Believe it or not, people do invest based on optimism and future projections, not just quarterly numbers.

Pringles likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI, these run-ups always occur during bear crashes/corrections. It happened multiple times during the 2008 financial crisis, too. Markets don't just drop like a brick forever and then all of a sudden fire up. Just look at any chart during any collapse and you'll see violent upturns in the market but the overall trend is down. The crazy thing about this drop was that with the exception of maybe the 1987 crash, no other recent crash has been as quick going down. So it got to 30% down fast as hell and many people thought, "too fast". It can still re-test those lows.

Invisible Fan, Pringles and Sajan like this.
  6. steveng125

steveng125 Member

What are Yalls thoughts on Uber?

7. adoo

adoo Member

on the whole, agree w you.

but what if this political nightmare happens.......

should this happen, stock market uncertainty / fear will reign supreme
    w the VIX shooting thru the roof, taking out the all-time high, Mar 2020, of ~85​

8. astros123

astros123 Member

US concrete up 22% today...Trump will label this new infrastructure project a "beautiful, great, all American" project. All raw materials and steel will be American made and he knows he needs the rust belt states to win the election this November. Unemployment will be near 20% and Democrats will be in no position to fight against the bill as it will create millions of jobs in the Northeast and Midwest. This will have the mills up and running in the midwest also.

Get on the ground floor while you can. Other stocks to look for in this industry are; GVA, FCX, VMC. I see US concrete prime to blow up. You know trump likes companies with sexy names which are marketable. We might disagree with his policies here but b****ing about it isn't going to help...Might as well make some $$$

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3559442-russia-said-ready-to-cut-production-1_6m-bbl-day

I hope you guys bought oil yesterday because an OPEC deal WILL be made tomorrow. There's no way KSA will not make a deal tomorrow. There's too much diplomatic pressure from Trump. If we get anything above a 10 bbl cut tomorrow oil will surge to >30% tomorrow.

#9228 astros123, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Kim and HTM like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Speaking of infrastructure plays, CAT's bounceback after the crash last month is pretty impressive. I owned that years ago during another bounceback. I thought about buying it again just now, but wow.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

Cuban is the only one talking some sense right now. I wish he owned the Rockets instead of our broke dumbass owner.

Listen from 8:15 on what he says about Boeing. He's spot on. FK corporate socalism

#9230 astros123, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    No Worries likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched that interview earlier and kinda wished we had an owner like that. Of course, I hated him when he was acting like a clown on the court a few years ago, too, so ... ya.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

So are we expecting another drop or is the market on its way to recovery?

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

We are now only down 19% from the all time high. Lowest I have saw was -34% on march 23rd.

14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Jesus was holding out on Disney for $95, could have been had at $99. Now up after hours to $108. Times like this makes me feel very dumb and out of my league

Sajan likes this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

They just announced streaming numbers. That's probably why.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Tesla also shot up a few days ago in after market hours and then came right back down the next morning.

CCity Zero and RKREBORN like this.
  16. MexAmercnMoose

market is stupid, makes no sense, f this fake capitalism...never fight the fed *sigh

astros123 likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay/hiatus, I have been pretty busy this week, nothing too exciting, I got some of that BIOL action today, not the max but very nice gain- 30-40%+ roughly, I need to check but it was very good. I have a few I am watching I can share later after I research a bit more, but with that said, let me tell you what I think on this. And please don't take this as guaranteed financial advice.

So right now I think a lot of the market is all up on news that this might blow over/not last as long/reaching peak, I think what will happen is there could still be a trend down, especially once Q2 results hit and job market takes another hit. With that said, there's still money in play and people who day trade are making a killing, they're not staying in it long term, so this week alone on some plays I have seen guys have made 100-350% on one trade... with that said these all rely on timing/news/PR/DD/Charts but these companies aren't going to be ones you want long term (so don't invest and forget).

Like the oil plays this week have all been big because of meeting that was supposed to happen on Monday, and now might happen tomorrow. I made a few oil plays but not as great as the major ones some of these guys pulled off (I got some out of Rose and another small gain from a smaller company). like on some of these BIO/OIL plays I literally missed a limit buy by like a cent... I am seriously going to just use market buys if I feel extremely confident and know it's about to hit. I don't have time to make some fumble and mess up... I was getting a bit overconfident and paid for it...

Anyway, with that said, there's money to be made for day traders, and there's even money to be made for the guys that buy overnight and sell at market open/pre-market, but you have to rely on news - ie virus is ending/peak reached/feds pump money. If it doesn't come then you buy into something like SQQQ when you feel there's going to be a pullback etc. The problem is, when you play an inverse fund you must watch it like literally through the day, because if they announce any good news you're going to not have a good day. I rarely leave inverse funds in overnight unless I feel really good (know some bad news is coming from results/virus etc watching health sector/tech sector), but with times right now there are a lot of variables at play and it can make it very hard, since there is a lot of money that's being put in from the sidelines since it is currently a fire-sale. For example if overnight you stayed with an inverse ETF and a miracle cure is found, you need to be up for Pre-Market because it's going to tank. etc etc.

So again, not financial advice But I think other than day trading and chasing things - so good news - think disney/travel/movie theaters, bad news think prop biotech small caps, you need to make sure it's a good bet. Also, for tech companies, while I could be wrong, I think if products miss release/low sales, there will be time to buy in to those at a lower entry. But again, as stated below, even entering any of these now isn't wrong as long as the company is real and sells good products/good marketing.

With that said, if you're not day trading or putting it in and forgetting it (ie invest in Disney or UAL etc etc ) I would just keep adding and avg down as you get more money either playing the waves (ie up 10-20%) on a long play - take out 10-50% of your shares and buy more on the dip (don't take all out and don't risk it if you're not sure). But if you have a good feeling and are watching the news - virus is going longer/it comes back in China or other areas etc etc. you will see dips/pullbacks, like on the Disney example, if you bought in at 80 sold at 100, re-bought at 90 sold at 105, re-bought at 100 etc etc you can get a lot more shares over time (it's better if you do it with a smaller cap one, but if you have enough to invest you can do it with just about anything and make good money 10-20% is profit, it might not be 200% but you also didn't risk bad news/pump and dump. It's better doing this in small amounts (ie watch chart/news/gut feeling sell off 10-50% and then re-enter/re-invest in another area while you wait for Disney or whatever to fall back down. Anyway it's very possible to pull this off, and even if you don;t get the perfect amount so you sold and missed $5-10, you just wait and it will come back, or chase the news some more on something else to get back in (or look at other sectors that get hurt, don't get married to a stock unless you plan on being on the board etc.), like while I might love Nike or something I have no loyalty, my loyalty is to making money. I mean in a week sometimes I will do like 50 trades. Some weeks maybe only 3... but it varies on what I am seeing/planning.

Sorry for this running long, but there's money to be made and a lot of ways to do it, but you just want to be careful. The most important thing is to not put money in these small-cap biotech firms that look good for the day (up 30-200% on the day and not get out, you need to take profit and plan your next move). If you're not daytading and have money to invest add in slowly, because I still think there will be a few more dips, my gut feeling is we will see several dips, but this week really threw off even what I was thinking, I think right now there's a lot of things going on that are propping things up, but if you have money to invest, there's several ways to do it, and even buying something like a disney stock now, you'll still make money, It just depends on what amount you want to make, And if I was doing just Disney, I would buy as more good news on movie releases/sports coming back/advertising, and then play off that, ie sports get shut down/parks get closed so you can try to ride the wave. There's a lot of other ways to do this planning so just a quick example.

Sorry for the long post, let me know if you have any questions. But one last thing, is if you're not watching the market/news/charts/tips so busy with other stuff right now (work/life dealing with quarantine) - I think adding back in a little at a time into a sure bet would be an easy play, even if you're wrong you're still buying in closer to the bottom than we were a month ago. I wouldn't go crazy and would try to get more money while it's volatile, like right now, there's so much money in play on the sides, that some stocks that their daily avg is trading is 200k are doing millions.. some are because it's being gamed for a huge break others are people hoping for news etc, and of course others are just straight up manipulation, but there's a lot of money to be made.

One quick question, when you left were you super down from all the other gains you had early?

Joshfast and RKREBORN like this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know I have like a book posted above, but I wouldn't sweat this one. I feel this will be short, and it will come back down to a minimum of $99, I could be wrong, but it's going to come back down, there's to mainly inflated things going on right now. I mean a ton of their revenue isn't back, it won't sustain this unless someone is just buying up everything (not likely on a bigger cap). Also, never feel bad on trades, if you make money or learn from it, there's always more money to be made. The worst thing is to buy into something on emotion (so like a small cap that jumped 100%) and then the bottom falls out. That's when it's a bad move, is when you force trades. You want the trades to come to you either through research or other things. Like one area to look at for sure as this runs it's course is disney announcing movie releases, and also watching movie theater stock. There's going to be money in both for sure. I think for right now, as long as your money isn't in a boiler room type stock/prop biotech company with 1 employee you'll be fine, there's a lot of money to still be made.

RKREBORN likes this.
  19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yup, kinda lost everything. I was impatient yesterday and hit the panic button and sold everything. I made tiny bit above what I put in, but all my last months efforts were gone. Feel so dumb

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol same here.
    had i put the money into SP500 on the same day in mid march...i would be +19% today.
    my money moves peaked at 17%, went to -1%, 17% yest (didn't get out in time) and now 11%.

waste of time and stressful lol!

RKREBORN likes this.