1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn near anything will be a winner tomorrow, at least early on, from the looks of it... futures are up almost 3%, but that could change quickly.

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry for this running crazy long....

There's definitely plenty of guides, and a site listed over the last few pages that can help. But with that said, I know we talked poker before - so depending on spots available for trading and if you have access to US stocks it'll be something you'd like (at least I think, I mean I sometimes gamble with some but have my actual investment for longterm, like what I've been doing lately is sitting out with some money (prior to crash to re-enter), but I've been daytrading some of these medical stocks to gain position - it's risky though with current state vs normal.

I'd say It's basically crypto trading if you've tried that (but I see it as a slow and steady version that is a lot more safe/regulated other than this mess right now, like right now you have to move/trade - or be ready to add more to slow the bleed and average down/maybe sit out and buy back in to get a better position etc etc, there's a lot of ideas), but other than this recession talk it's normally a good investment and good for longterm investment y/y (regardless of recession, as long as you don't invest in something going out of business).

Anyway, that's just the simple trading portion, if you really like gambling though and study the market (trade options etc, but absolutely DO NOT start there...and practice a lot w/ small ones, but don't worry about that for now). Like basically make sure you do your hw and are prepared to lose it or make a ton etc if attempting puts/calls (but that's seriously down the line)... So safe game is just buying and trading stock, especially to start, it's pretty easy now compared to the old days of having to involve a broker.

So for a quick plan - I would see what options you have to use to trade, some of us here have been using Robinhood, but I think it's only open to US atm, but you'd want someone kind of like them (or any of the ones that offer free trades/no commissions in your area) - https://blog.robinhood.com/news/2019/11/19/robinhood-is-coming-to-the-uk (just an example of them expanding eventually). With that said once you find who you want to trade through you basically set up an account, if for some reason you're able to trade with Robinhood through US, let me know and I can send you a referral for us to get free stock (haha, just mentioning), but iirc I think you mentioned Europe before during poker chat (but can't recall country).

Once you have account I would pick some stocks for long term overtime and then some like this medical/biotech stock stuff (as current example if you're wanting to gamble). Then I'd also start small like let's say you have $500 to invest, and it could be a lot more $25k+/less than $100, anyway whatever the amount is - start with 25-50% of that just so you get the feel for it and remain ready with remaining once you feel comfortable.

And Definitely take your time (however long you want), fast/risky start is where people generally fail - buy high / sale low and then walk away and give up, ie unless you're buying a longterm investment don't jump in something that's up 50% for the day because unless you know it's going higher it will probably dip, so just wait to enter or move on - again this can vary but you'll get a feel with practice. Also, on these risky ones, you need to be ready to walk away once you hit a profit you planned - I wouldn't do this so much on long-term plays but like these vaccine ones right now, one bad report/change in importance of virus and it's tanking (I mean unless you know that the company has a lot more coming, and is a long term plan).

Lastly depending on regulations, for us in the states if you're going to be doing daytrading you need 25k in the account, but if not, and just adding safely over time then that's fine too. Getting back to daytrading, if you don't have $25k in an account you're only allowed 3 daytrades over 5 days (basically if you go over this you might be flagged). So like let's say you buy a medical stock that you feel is going to rocket and want to sell it in same day (so same market day) that counts against your daytrade count of 3. So just be careful and don't buy sell like crazy on your first day or all risky ie buy a ton of different risky ones in the morning and sell them all since you don't want to be flagged, this also really is only if starting w/ less than $25k, but I also don't recommend doing a ton of buying of different ones unless you're just planning to diversify portfolio and add more money over time).

Lastly and the most important advice (at least in my opinion) - if the stock you picked went down, you technically haven't lost money until you sell low (especially if you don't have a plan after selling, like to re-enter or jump to another stock)... With that said make sure the company you're buying into is stable.

Let us know if you have any questions, I'm definitely not the best here by any means but we'll try to help out, and you can just private message me if you'd like. No question is a dumb one - especially when there's money involved (haha, I mean I guess the same can be said about poker).

#8662 CCity Zero, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah me too, I went way too conservative on Moderna a little less than you (but it's good to be up on something for sure!).

AYTU I'm a bit worried on, if you have a lot in it and it dips try to average down because I think it'll go back up some in-between dip but I think you're right. Like on that one we need to be ready in the morning/pre-market to decide. If more news comes out on them doing testing kits it might jump some (and I could be wrong but I don't see this as one we want to get stuck in, hopefully they drop more hints regarding testing in NY and expanding it). On Moderna I'm holding right now but might put a stop limit in case we get any bad news regarding the trial. I'm hoping it's smooth sailing and keeps going for a bit more ie no news is good. But I know we might get unlucky if another company calls them out on research, but being they have a jump with fda approval we might get lucky still.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, definitely agree, I think the virus brought out what was going to happen eventually just a lot faster. But if we get lucky and have a good entry on apple/Disney etc I think that would be wonderful on a long play. Also as mentioned any bailouts might make for a quick play, but again I think you very likely could be right on this all being overvalued, especially if nothing is being sold/open to customers (like I'm almost considering looking at cell/communication/tech services if we all remain isolated really long, as it might be the only thing other than occasional energy/amazon/Walmart etc to earn.

With that said, I am not feeling tech too much if China isn't ramped up, ie with no phones/chips being made tech sector will dip since there's nothing to be sold

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Too bad we can’t short the Texans somehow

oelman44, Xerobull, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think ViacomCBS could be super solid, like long hold possibly with virus but should be huge returns. And picks of DIREXION isn't looking bad either.

What's your feeling on UAL? Like with bailout looking like it's coming soon, I just wonder if it'll dip more and then once travel is back climb as planned (like bailout is certain but might dip a bit more and take some time). I think it might be similar to looking at carnival cruise (like assuming they survive the lack of customers for now) it could jump quickly once they're open but it's dangerous probably atm, since we're seeing timelines all over the place.

I do think with futures going up as @Dr of Dunk mentioned, it'll be good for just about anything, but we just need to be ready to jump out.

oelman44 likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man, with what happen today by BoB, if we had some info like that of a company, go all in on short. Just absolute dumpster fire. Like who the hell makes these trades? Oh, right, good Ole gm/coach BoB!!

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Are you kidding me. I would not take any advice from someone pumping robinhood with a referral link. All the major trading platforms are commission free right now, and you wont get interruptions with etrade, td ameritrade, etc like you will with robinhood.

#8668 Agent94, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

That's probably a little too low, but you can short it on the way down. It looks like the loudest voices here are kids. I hope someone here takes my/your advice. Blue horseshoe say buy SQQQ.

Exiled and CCity Zero like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I agree, especially if you're trading beyond hobby to start and w/ large money/in this environment, I would go with what you've recommended (if it's offered since I mentioned he's not state side). The link I sent was detailing their expansion outside the US.

I fortunately didn't get stuck in the mess/outages they had - we discussed this some in the previous pages and when they have had an outage during this environment it's really bad. There was even concern on credit amounts they took.

I also am by no means a financial advisor, I've just talked with him in the past and used poker as example since I know he's a good card player. And I tried to detail trying to avoid getting stuck into the fast money plan or dumping everything in regardless of who you're trading with (ie take it slow). I think in the current environment you need to be very careful, if you disagree or think that's bad advice then please share your thoughts.

Exiled likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Show of hands ... how many here expect a 10% ride up today? or a 10% ride down?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You can if you want. TheOver/Under in Vegas is currently at 8.5 wins for the season. Problem is with Watson he can also pull off 9 wins because of his talent.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Feels like it will be a slow boring 5% up day.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Unless some different news happens, probably a slow up, so 5% seems more realistic as stated, but I'm thinking we'll see a dip again this week. Obviously all of this can change depending on good/bad news but I'm definitely playing as safe as possible.

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wtf up with ibio. Anyone know?

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm not sure on that one, but man - BNTX is climbing... I'm not in it but the Pfizer news made it jump more. I stepped out of MRNA but it might have been soon on my part, I just like to take profits on these and was worried I'd not be able to watch so I set a trailing stop. Currently out of AYTU for now and took profits.

Both could be early on my part but like to get these while we can, unless I'm able to watch etc. Obviously some could be good long term, but I'm trying to move profits to something else.

Edit - I'd be careful on ibio, like some of these basically get hyped up and then fall, have to be ready to get out. I mean unless more news coming, but basically have to chase news.

#8677 CCity Zero, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump: We will be helping Boeing.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would there be any way the government could talk to companies to help influx some cash into the system, or would it not be necessary?

[​IMG]

20. ths balla

ths balla Member

thoughts on home delivery companies like Blue Apron? Has gone from $2.28 to $6.63 currently in a few days

CCity Zero and jsingles like this.