1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. dmoneybangbang

Debatable that they were doing fine at that point, you could be right as I'd have to see the numbers.

How is Tesla disrupting the auto industry exactly? Would Ford and GM be put out of business electric cars? By driverless cars? By direct to consumer sales?

The stock market is forward looking but not infallible as you should know if you are an investor.

There's a lot things that have to go smoothly for the Model 3 to cause the bolded. While Ford does have those issues you mentioned, Telsa has it's own issues currently: burning through cash at a high rate, trying to manage Solar city, Tesla is still not available in major markets like Texas for direct to consumer sales, and the lack of profitability that Musk has stated will happen even when the Model 3s start rolling out. What if we hit a correction between now and 2019 or another recession (China is staying afloat by burning through a lot of money) that tanks demand as the auto industry is cyclical. What if Tesla first mass produced car doesn't deliver on time or a major recalls occurs shortly after they are delivered?

A lot will have to go smoothly for Tesla to actually supplant Ford and GM, and at the least live up to it's market cap.

The entire market has been bullish for many years. Market caps can be very high for companies that are built on future promises while still burning through cash. Uber, Twitter, and Snap especially are pretty apparent examples of that, maybe they can figure out how to be a "camera" company and outperform their current ~$34 billion market cap.

I'm not anti-Tesla, I just think it's overvalued as they have a lot to prove to justify that price. Too much competition for me to bet on in the auto industry. Lastly, neither of us are right or wrong at this point as there's so much that has to unfold first.

#8321 dmoneybangbang, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. dmoneybangbang

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm at 25% return over 1 year, too bad I didn't invest more.

4. Bob Barker 007

What's your benchmark and Sharpe?

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Ohhhh let's get a portfolio theory discussion going. i really need to catch up on quantifying my accounts' performance.

Are y'all only taking into account your equity holdings or your fixed income and commodities too?

6. le081488

le081488 Member

Any good iPhone apps for market simulators/games?

7. Bob Barker 007

I used to use Stock Wars, which is pretty realistic and fun. I am not sure if it has changed over the past few years.

8. Bob Barker 007

I just take into account equity holdings. There's not much in terms of benchmarks for fixed income and commodities, really only the Barclays U.S. Aggregate and treasury bills.

9. BleedsRocketRed

Anyone got any idea of SpaceX suppliers to watch out for? Looks like another "space race" is on the horizon...

10. fallenphoenix

Sitting at at a 27.87% (reinvested dividends) return since Jan-2016 with my hand picked stocks/etfs (non index ex. voog, voov, vwo) compared to the S&P500 at 26.59% (reinvested dividends).

Sharpe: 3.39 using a Risk Free of 3%.

Some of the stocks were purchased recently (within the last month), so they are only at like 1-2% return. Need to take another look at it tomorrow and weight it for time.

11. BleedsRocketRed

AMD these last 2 days...

Ouch. Lost a **** ton.

12. fallenphoenix

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ahh man I just looked ouch. did you continue to hold?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

disclaimer: I don't know a lot about investing.

Can someone help explain what happened today. OK so I had some money in Kate Spade (KATE) and I was up 1-2% and had it set to sell if it reached a few more % of profit. Well Coach acquired KATE today and it went up 8% or more and I thought I had messed up but when I looked it did not sell at my set price.

Is that because it raised in price during pre-market? Or is there another reason?

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Finally able to start trading again. My wife worked in IB and she had to get everything approved and it was a lengthy, PITA process. Over the last few years, I've only traded 2-3x/year.

Any good recs?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh NVDA how I love thee!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. justtxyank

I hope you are still in @fallenphoenix !

I sold out entirely today on my IRA but am still in it in other accounts to the tune of several thousand dollars. Debating whether I should take the full profit today or bet on NVDA hitting 130 this year.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

damn. $35 to $120??

FML.

19. fallenphoenix

Yup! Took my profits a few times last year, so I'm playing with house money now. Letting it ride!

I think the valuation still isn't too high to worry, so I'm not concerned about getting out anytime soon.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. justtxyank

Ha. I just bailed out entirely 3 minutes ago.