1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I've definitely considered it. :grin:

Will continue to sit out for now.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Anyone buying AAPL or MSFT into earnings tonight?

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i bought some apple earlier last week

whiffed on revenues

#7203 fallenphoenix, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  4. fallenphoenix

nice little 3% jump from aapl today. i expect a bit of a boost until they announce the new iphone 6 and wearables

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I bought them back at the split to hold on for a while.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

So who likes Facebook here?

Stock price looks better after earnings report.

Missed it.

7. mikus

mikus Member

I bought FB a couple months back when it was at $55. The future P/E doesn't look bad, certainly not as crazy as some stocks, so I'll probably hold for a bit more and see where it goes.

8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Dumped AAPL at $93.50 a month ago to take some $ off the table and hoping for a pull back...but didn't want to miss out on earnings so bought back into AAPL a bit before earnings and figured if they tanked I'd be able to get back in at a lower price...ugh..now just wish I had held all shares....hindsight is 20/20..though I still think the market is due for a pullback so will see...

9. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I learned about Inovio several months ago from this thread. Their positive phase II trial results on HPV was released earlier this week, and the stock had seen a nice bump.

Now that the clinical trial has proven that DNA vaccine works in humans, I do feel the stock could go way up in the near future. DNA vaccine could be a disruptive technology to today's vaccine industry. If they succeed, the company's market cap should be measured in billions, not 800m as of right now.

10. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Will be interesting.. I had a gut feeling about it a long time ago

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I remain skeptical. Ask anyone who's worked in immunology or virology. DNA vaccines making it to market would not just represent one company breaking out, it would be an entire paradigm shift in terms of how we view the viability of injected DNA. It's not just never been done, it's also ridiculously hard to get the same yields. In vivo you can electroporate (shock immune cells so holes open up transiently to let the DNA in) for the purposes of cloning. Supposedly Inovio has a way to electroporate in vitro, but even then I won't believe that the immunologic response rate will be as good as the more traditional forms of vaccination until it actually happens.

I'm break even the past month. What gains I had through AAPL and BIDU (yay!) were balanced out by continued setbacks in WFM and HIMX ( :( ). Sometimes even good companies will just take a long time to emerge from under the pall of bad momentum. Investor perceptions are so fickle like that.

12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

IIRC, the DNA vaccine gets inside regular tissue cells with the help of electroporation, and starts to express the protein it is coded for on the cell membrane. The immune system then picks up these "foreign" proteins and starts to produce antibodies against them. I think I read somewhere that the immune response rate in animals are pretty good.

This is definitely still a high risk high reward stock. They still haven't got anything on the market yet. The reward is always sky high as it has the potential to be a game changer, I just feel like with their recent success in phase II trial, the risk just got a lot lower.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Again, everything hinges on the electroporation part. I have never seen it done in humans, and apparently that is supposed to be the CEO's pet research project. No one else in a cell bio lab can do it. So like I said it would be an industry-wide breakthrough if it worked. I remain skeptical because of my time cloning cells in an immunology lab. It is very difficult work to get cells to take up DNA. Even in vitro, not even to mention in vivo.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Dr Kim, merck and Roche. They are confident about it

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

How about the weed industry?

You have any news on that?

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

not in terms of stocks..

but how about some bitcoin eh

17. fallenphoenix

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Who saw that coming?

Family Dollar up today.

Just got bought by Dollar Tree.

Icahn pulling a lot of strings.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I jumped on the LOCO IPO last Friday at $22.70. I'm still holding and wonder how much higher this could go.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

nice, how many shares?