1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Wasn't there someone here who was pumpin this one like crazy, HIMX

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yeah. That would be eddiewinslow. HIMX was a triple bagger in his opinion. Of course he also bought huge into IAG (his own words) at $4.35. It's at $3.15 now so down 28%.

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Eddie was a d-bag but all his stock predictions rose quite high first before falling. If he executed just average diligence, he would have hit some stop losses and made a pretty penny.

*HIMX supposedly down on Renesas selling stake in integrated circuits. There is some RANsqauwk that they lost their Google Glass and/or contract with some large Korean firm. Nonetheless, they look like a pretty healthy company imo and I will be looking to get in long at some point for a nice dead cat bounce.

#7124 crossover, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We saw something close to their strongest support point tested today around the 6.4 range. The rumor about Google must have circulated in the institutions before it got out to the small fish after hours, because whatever it had lost had already happened (and in a flash) by noon or so.

Worst case scenario, they have lost out on the Google contract for future Glass (because the current Glass already has their parts installed). As highly unlikely as this is--since 1. Google already owns a 6.5% stake in the company; 2. it would have to scrap ALL of it's R&D thus far to insert a different LCOS hardware into its Glass; and 3. HIMX already has a competitive advantage in the LCOS microdisplay industry with numerous patents to the effect--you can argue that Glass has already been priced OUT of the current HIMX evaluation in the $6-7 range. No one was expecting any kind of revenue or earnings from the Glass until 2015 earliest, so all the EPS/revenue forecasting was done with this in mind.

Without factoring Google into the equation, you are looking at a semiconductor company trading at below the average P/E for its industry, with above average YOY growth rates in revenue and earnings, a regular and increasing dividend (next due around July), multiple revenue streams including small- and medium-sized LCD panels for mobile phones (Samsung although suspending purchases for this year remains a major client), display drivers for 4K televisions among other electronics, and finally LCOS microdisplays which few other companies can even approach producing. It has scaled up its factory in the south of Taiwan and continues to hire. The fact of the matter is that this is an oversold stock by a large uninformed American daytrading community who first got in due to the Google Glass craze and are now drumming up as much fear as they can to push out other shareholders so that they can achieve better entry points.

I got back in last Friday at 6.94, just 300 shares total since I'm po', practicing with my spare change for when my earnings get real in the next few years. But I am telling you this just so you can put a (screen)name to the position. If it tanks then you can mock me. If it does well then we can forget this conversation ever happened. Either way, I'm happy with my holdings and will hold onto them for the foreseeable future.

6. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

That's a lot of good dd but I think I'm still a lot more cautious. In Feb 2013, the stock price was only $2.50-3.00 (right before the Google Glass craze). Since then and now, the bottom line financials have only improved at most 20%. I always take the stance that large investors usually have a 6-9mo better lead on how a company will perform so I'm kind of wondering if HIMX is still priced to move a lot lower.

7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I bought Twitter yesterday and I'm enjoying this little ride so far.

8. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Hi Guys im really intersted in investing some money and trying the stock market thing (of course i want to start small 200-500 upto 1000's investments.. Im on the blind on this stuff.. Can someone recommend a book/or websites that explain how the market works? Is it worth it?
    Since im sure there's a lot of experts in here, please share your success and how you started.. I would like to get motivate in this:)

9. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Bogleheads is a great site. If you're just starting, generally the basics are:

1) Apply enough to your company 401k to get the match - this is bascially earning 100% on your investment
    2) Any additional money - if you're in a low tax bracket, invest in a Roth IRA (Vanguard is great for this, their funds are super cheap), if you're in a high tax bracket (25%+), a Traditional IRA is usually better, unless you think you're going to be in a higher tax bracket when you retire.
    3) Anything else, put into your 401k.

The hardest part is usually where to put it. Personally, I use the 3 Fund Portfolio, but if you don't want to rebalance each year and make adjustments, then a Target Date Fund may be better for you.

Of course, this all assumes you're investing/saving for retirement. If you're just wanted to make some quick cash by buying and selling, then ignore everything I said. Good luck!

10. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

There are some smart people in this thread, and I'd love to get your macro-perspective on the direction of the S&P.

Thoughts on whether the S&P 500 is over-valued?

Some context: for my 401k junk, I have no problem pushing 100% into equity. I won't touch this stuff for years, so even if the market crashes in the short-term, oh well, that's not really material in year 2040.

But what about the *middle-term* stuff? I have some cash on the sidelines. I HOPE that I won't need to touch this money for a few years, but I'm not certain. (Unlike 401k, which is locked in iron.) I'm generally a big fan of S&P 500 index and passive investing.

The question I'm torn over, though, is timing. I'm scared by the last 2+ years of explosive growth, which seem to wildly outpace real economic growth.

I DO have confidence that the economy will fundamentally improve in the long-term (lower unemployment, higher GDP), so in that sense I'm bullish, but is that upside already baked into the recent S&P surge?

[phew.]

Long-winded post. I guess to be more concrete, I'm wondering... does it make more sense to dump my cash in the S&P 500 now, or hang on to it for another year or so--or more--on the assumption that we're due for a correction?

Thanks for any thoughts.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

FBI, SEC Probe Trading of Carl Icahn, Billy Walters, Phil Mickelson

Source: Link

12. Rasselas

Any thoughts on the above? (Post before last).

The short, short, short version of the question...

...if you didn't have any money in the market and wanted to invest, would you do so now, or wait for what feels like a soon-to-come correction?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just start saving and start an account.

14. Rasselas

Thanks for the Bogleheads recommendation. Great site, and I'm hooked.

I know that the conventional wisdom is to diversity with bonds, but if I'm sure that I don't want to touch the money for 10+ years--and I'm okay with the nasty downturns (as I won't be selling)--why is 100% equity frowned upon?

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Caught my first buyout today. One of the guys I follow on twitter @optionstrader31 called out some call activity in PL. I bought stock around 58.80. They announced a buyout at 70. Pretty cool. :grin:

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this reminds me of a missed buyout on my part. held metro PCS for over 8 months. sold for a significant return. a month later they announced the buy out. :mad:

17. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

if you are with Bank of America and have at least 30K in savings checking you can open up a Merrill edge and you will get 30 free trades a month! Scottrade and the others charge 9.95 6.95 etc
    this is free

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

What do you stock guys think about the apple split? I invested while its low.

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

MU keeps getting performance upgrades and increased price targets. lovin' this ride

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I bought some shares to hold on for a very long time.