1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It bailouts some fiscally irresponsible states.
    Forgives $10K federally funded student loan debts
    (My wife would enjoy that but not because od covid)
    Illegal immigrants get stimulus checks
    Orders felons released from prison
    Rewrites immigration laws
    Expands obama care

I am not saying I am against these things occurring but I dont think some of this has anything to do with the coronavirus.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Nothing the trump admin does should surprise anyone...

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...-ready-to-deal-on-new-economic-package-788431

Gee, and the republican senate made such a fuss about how necessary transparency was...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...6f8f36-803b-11ea-84c2-0792d8591911_story.html

Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/were-replicating-mistakes-2008/609586/

tldr- Party like it's 2007 because everyone is getting money from the sky. Republican ****wits are gonna gum up the system again because regulation bad for their master's deep pockets....

In still another echo of 2008, regulators spent the period before this crisis easing up on the reforms implemented after the last crisis. Led by Randal Quarles, a Trump appointee on the Federal Reserve Board, regulators loosened numerous bank rules in the past couple of years. They also allowed banks and financial players to load up vulnerable companies with risky debt. (In recent weeks, amid capital-market wobbles, bank regulators have eased a variety of regulations even more.)

Relaxing financial regulations in the past few years did not cause this economic crisis. And so far, large American banks are not suffering nearly as badly as they did in 2008. But these rollbacks could make the system more vulnerable in the coming months than it should be.

Trump regulators “seemed to have an almost willful ignorance about the causes of the last crisis that will make the situation we are in that much more precarious,” said one person involved in the reform efforts and who fought the rollbacks. “The crisis in the markets is just beginning and [the easing of the regulations] will exacerbate the economic pain we are feeling as a result of the coronavirus.”

The design of the rescue package has left those who watched and studied 2008 deeply frustrated. “I do not have a good explanation of how we continue to fumble this. I was thinking when this started, ‘At least we have 2008 to guide us to not make the same mistakes,’” said a Hill staffer familiar with the CARES Act. “This will paper over bank balance-sheet problems, help tech valuations and boost leveraged loans. In three months, I think the stock market will look good. But the vast majority of workers will be worse off. The law will amplify inequality and the power of large corporations over labor and the workforce, and they won’t be able to recover for a generation.”
    This one is a couple months old. Atlantic dropped an article on Collateralized Loan Obligations and it's not pretty.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

It wasn't just trump and mnuchin that lied when they promised full transparency about the billions of tax payer money going to bail out businesses... probably because they all know that moneys went to big businesses and left small business to fend for themselves...

Rubio vowed to make PPP loans public. Now he asks if they are trade secrets
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article243493196.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

When you allow little lies... it encourages them to make bigger lies...

mdrowe00, B-Bob, Blatz and 1 other person like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

And now we know the *real* reason why trump's admin is keeping the PPP bailouts given to businesses private, breaking a promise of transparency.

Members of Congress took small-business loans — and the full extent is unknown
    Some GOP lawmakers who benefited from the Paycheck Protection Program also opposed legislation requiring lending transparency.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/16/congress-small-business-loan-320625

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Like I previously said, Republicans are overplaying their hand.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Empty promises...

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes...... because we need more home schooling, because that works so well.

When racist, false and dangerous teachings are scorned and not allowed in formal schooling, lets funnel people holding these beliefs into home schooling so that they can teach them behind closed doors and spread the ignorance.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But wait I thought home schooling leads to suicide, obesity and drug use?

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of it, but in the time of Corona I think it could have some merit (just not sure how much). I'd at least extend the lousy $250 deduction to those that home school.

Amiga, Nook, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty stupid of them. They should of provided the additional UI benefits extension at $600 if they were not going to include the stimulus check. I never supported the stimulus checks, which is why this doesn't bother me, but don't think $300 will be enough to prevent those that will not be working for the next few months from losing their belongings, being out on the street, choosing between health and food, etc etc. Have Republicans been paying attention to all the massive layoffs that are planned in the next couple of months?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Reading up about it, their goal is to basically throw something out there they know won't get passed by Dems, but should be enough to get all 51 Republican Senators to support. In their minds, they will be able to shift the blame to Dems at that point for not getting something done. Of course,they aren't sure if all 51 Senators will actually approve of the new bill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/515503-senate-gop-unveils-slimmed-down-coronavirus-relief-bill

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'm guessing it's just a starting point...they can still amend the bill and add things like the stimulus checks to it. Neither side wants to give the other one credit for anything. It's sad really...but at least the corporation got their bailouts!

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, just a tactic they are using since they are so close to elections. Democrats will always be able to say, we had our bill ready in May 2020 and you guys were not willing to negotiate until the end of July, please explain to the American people why you sat on our bill for 2 months and did not even attempt to negotiate another bill with us until 1 week before the expiration of UI benefits.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It’s ****ing infuriating. Until the pandemic in the United States is controlled, jobs aren’t coming back, no matter what the unemployment numbers say. Yet, the idiots in Congress are too worried about playing politics to figure out a way to put money in the average American’s hand to help them deal with our current financial reality.

Every single one of them needs to be voted out.

Nook, Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.