1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I figured it would allow you to at least enter your DD info under "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here" even though I understand that's not your situation.

3. leroy

Nope...just get the message that @Beezy posted.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can anybody seriously disagree with the gentlewoman from queens that we are not doing enough during a ****ing catastrophic depression?

I mean I can imagine some out-of-touch plutocrats like Lloyd Blankfein tying to explain his big-boy rich person science to us but lol, no lloyd.

bcast89 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. leroy

Well, I was finally able to get through and update the info today. Now, we wait...

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I trust her.

bcast89 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Beezy

Beezy Member

Same here, so the system is being updated in batches.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

Because as with everything else, the most important things to trump is getting thanked or praised.

btw, I just got a form letter telling me I got paid $xxxx for my recovery. The money was delivered electronically a week or two ago, but it was important to send me a letter with trump's signature on it to make sure I knew it came from trump. I am tempted to send it back, asking if they forgot to include a check?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Shucks, I guess I wasn't so special...

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I shredded mine as soon as I got it. I was going to use it as Toilet paper, but didn't want anything from this Administration near my *******...that will make it easier for them to screw me.

the11mingdynasty and Andre0087 like this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I keep thinking about this...if Trump really wanted to build goodwill for this, why not include a mask and/or a box of gloves with each letter (or the previous postcard that got sent out with his "advice"). It seems that this would be something to help every citizen along with the money and would show a different side of him. Just putting his signature on a letter for what amounts to be a paltry amount during this crisis doesn't really do anything when people still have to buy masks and gloves and are in the situation they're in.

But, then again, with his base doing what they're doing, I'm not sure it would go over well with them and we know Trump only cares about his loyal base.

14. NewRoxFan

trump swamp, COVID-19 edition...

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

Can we agree on the relief/stimulus we are getting is maybe a D+ at best so far?

It's far too small. It's poorly administered. And Moscow Mitch, since he is an evil sack of ****, has already tried to actively make it worse.

Depression inbound. That's why it was urgent to take more bolder action last month. That momentum is now gone based on false Confidence that we're somehow near the end of this thing.

We need another new deal. We already blew our chance to limit the damage. Our system failed again. The greatest country on earth failed again.

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Rep. Haaland is one of a number of awesome Native Americans that recently joined the congress and is making a difference...

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Great idea...will never pass because of who's in charge of the Senate

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/politics/bernie-sanders-covid-payments-kamala-harris/index.html

Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Ed Markey team up to propose monthly payments of $2K during pandemic

In response to the worsening economic crisis facing the country, Sens. Kamala Harris of California and Bernie Sanders of Vermont along with Ed Markey of Massachusetts will introduce a bill aimed at establishing a rebate payment program that would deliver $2,000 dollars to US residents including children until the Covid-19 pandemic has ended.

The bill has a tall hill to climb in the Republican-controlled senate as few GOP lawmakers have voiced support for continued monthly payments. The one-time payment of $1,200, which was what passed in the Cares Act in late March, was a sticking point at the time. In addition to being more expensive and on a recurring basis, these payments would be available to US residents no matter if they have a social security number, which includes undocumented immigrants who pay taxes but don't have a SSN.

This bill would grant married couples who file together $4,000 and $2,000 for each child up to three -- per month. It would also block debt collectors access to seize payments from individuals who owe money.

"The coronavirus pandemic has caused millions to struggle to pay the bills or feed their families," said Harris in a statement. She cited the stimulus package as important step but added it's not enough.

"Bills will continue to come in every single month during the pandemic and so should help from government. The Monthly Economic Crisis Support Act will ensure families have the resources they need to make ends meet. I am eager to continue working with Senators Sanders and Markey as we push to pass this bill immediately."

Sanders echoed Harris' same sentiment in a written statement.

"As a result of this horrific pandemic, tens of millions of Americans are living in economic desperation not knowing where their next meal or paycheck will come from," said Sanders.

"The one-time $1,200 check that many Americans recently received is not nearly enough to pay the rent, put food on the table and make ends meet. During this unprecedented crisis, Congress has a responsibility to make sure that every working-class household in America receives a $2,000 emergency payment a month for each family member."

The monthly check would be available to every person with an annual income less than $120,000 dollars during the pandemic and for three months after, according to a one-sheet provided by Harris' senate office. It's also retroactive to March.

DVauthrin and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Trump was up 10 points in the election polling I have no doubt there would understandably be several months of stimulus/relief checks in order to curb the affects of mass unemployment, but Republicans just aren't going to sign off on any more stimulus because they want to force the economy to open right now to both help Trump have a "sell-able" economy in November, and also put one in the chamber in the event that Biden wins to destroy his presidency by driving economic fear and bring back the Paul Ryan greatest hits.

I would assume we are basically done with relief checks, and Dem bills for relief will be DOA. If it was a corporate bailout though holy crap that would fly through Congress in a heartbeat.

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  19. SamFisher

If Trump wants to win he would support more stimulus, but remember, he is extremely dumb and thinks he can extract concessions for something he needs, as does Moscow Mitch

Unfortunately for all of us, the portrait of devastation on an economic scale is not 2009, when Republican intentionally stalled the recovery it is 1929. The next 20 years were not kind to them after that.

DVauthrin, dobro1229 and RayRay10 like this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trump thinks he can solve every problem by just saying something is what it isnt. He realizes his supporters are also schmucks too, and will lap up every false statement he makes about his role in economic recovery. His ad I just saw on TV this morning claimed that "Trump has DEFEATED the Coronavirus".

He's not giving sh$t to regular Americans anymore because his donors with their assassins in Congress & in cabinet positions will not let him do that if Pelosi and the Dems put a bill together to do so. They know he's not educated on the issues, and know that if it's just a Dem proposal, its good politics for him to reject and demagogue.

I'm telling you now.... I think we are done with relief checks. Unemployment is probably the only option for most workers who will be out of work. The game is pretty clear.... use politics and the right wing media to force the economy to open, and allow for herd immunity to happen with massive amount of death that they hope they can fudge the numbers on with the CDC etc. to get through November.

joshuaao and RayRay10 like this.