1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Still at the 5th seed for some time but what's happening?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nomangame, Dec 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. nomangame

nomangame Member

Perhaps we got a bit of lady luck smiling at us for this but really, what happened to that 5 game winning streak mojo?

Let's not blame it on the injury bug too much cause every other team has it too so let's see what are the things that are worrying IMO

1)T-Jones and his 2double effort performances......MIA

2)The bench can AND must do better esp Casspi and Garcia. Their pre-season form also went MIA

3)Enough with the 3-ball man....would it hurt to take more midrange jumpers?

4)Beverly has to knock down his shots more frequently

Anything else?

2. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

what's wrong?
    a team set their goal at the championship even cant get home court advantage.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Best case: 3rd place
    Reality:5-6th place
    Worst case: 7th place or even 8th

Everything else is catastrophic

4. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Seriously both Garcia and Casspi aren't championship calliber players,that's just me though

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Truth. These are really third string guys. We need more all around players coming off the bench. Guys that can play defense and attack on the offensive end. Garcia and Casspi literally only shoot. They suck at everything else so if the shot is not falling they are useless. Again Morey should design this team like the 94/95 rockets teams. More versatile players.

6. ada32

ada32 Member

Unless major injuries in our team or others, my expectation for this year:

Best - 4th
    Reality - 5-6th
    Worst - 7-8th

We are a playoff team not a contender yet!
    We will need better player(s) and one year to gel.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4th place is reserved for a division winner.

It's 5th with HC advantage at best

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

RAJON ROOOOOOOONDOOOOOOOO!:grin:

9. ada32

ada32 Member

I know; I know.
    This is Houston Rockets, the Dream Team!

10. JD88

JD88 Member

Again, I was at the game.

It is the injury bug. Harden hobbled and gimped his way to the bench every timeout, as did Parsons.

Dwight looks ****in healthy though that's for sure.

11. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

Rockets could be 2nd in their division behind San Antonio and still get 4th seed! Division winners are guaranteed a top 4 seed.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

We're on pace to win 52 games despite all the following things happening.

Howard still rounding into shape.
    Harden injured for numerous games
    Parsons playing injured for much of the season
    Asik basically non-existent except a few games
    Lin missing or recovering for half the season so far
    Beverley missed the first week

That's arguably the top 7 players all having minor to major issues. If anything, it just speaks to our talent that we're winning so much. The Rockets didn't come in as the defacto best team in the NBA. We were suppose to be in the mix. And we're still in the mix despite a horrible rash of injuries.

13. mario elie

mario elie Member

I've never been a fan of Casspi. When the guy isn't hitting threes he's absolutely the most worthless player on the floor. He's a defensive liability and turnover prone. I like what Greg Smith showed last night (especially on the defensive end), but why not see what DMo can do? Casspi sucks!

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well we take the most FT's in the league, and we're the second worst in the league at making them. So there's that.

I'm not expecting Howard to do better, but I feel like the rest of the team is shooting worse from the line than they have in their career.

Defense is getting better, but progress is very slow.

Lin is critical off the bench IMO and we've really missed his presence. I hope it's not going to be excuses all season long about his injury. If he needs a couple of games off to make sure he gets healthy again, better now than to have a nagging issue all season. A healthy Lin was excellent for us off the bench.

Howard needs to trust the open shooter more often. He thinks too much about his moves in the post - he's so focused that he barely realizes what else is going on around him. This is will get better as he keeps practicing those post moves and keeps watching video of himself.

Overall, we're likely to get better. If we're 5th right now with all these struggles, then we should be gold by the end of the season. I expect this team to tear ***** up in the final 20 games of the season and make a serious playoff run.

15. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

Bench needs to be upgraded. Need more 2 way players...Garcia and casspi can't guard anyone. In games where harden is being shut down and cant score. He should focus on passing and shutting down his man.

16. coffeelover665

We have 16 millions not playing, that's what happening. Lin is the little engine that could and Asik is elite rim protector. Having these two skillsets on your team will drive any bench to elite

17. daytripper

daytripper Member

Wesley Johnson would've been such a nice bench signing this offseason. Lakers signed him for a song. He's been a bust as a #4 pick but is ballin this season. Much better all around player than Casspi.

18. nono

nono Member

Morey ****ed up big time this season.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The season is going about how I expected. We are a pretty good team, but not the best. Our players are learning how to play with each other, and Morey is trying to build a team that will eventually be able to contend for a championship.

I guess some people expected us to be one of the top five teams by now, but I didn't.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Injuries are killing our CHEMISTRY, rotation and communication on both ends of the court.

Lack of focus is hurting us as well. Too many turnovers, too many missed freethrows, no ball movement, and the mental breakdowns on the defensive end.