1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stevie the Matador

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaMcMing, Oct 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Alright, now someone has to post the clip of Olajuwon running downcourt to block KJ at the rim. Those two plays will somehow forever be joined at the hip.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

True. But this also can happen:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJDyF3f_WyM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJDyF3f_WyM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because Rudy Gay was a question mark, and he still is. On the other hand, we knew that Battier was a quality player who'd help immediately.

My opinion, at the time, was that it was a good deal in the short term for the Rockets (first couple years). I also liked it it because we rid ourselves of Swift and freed up minutes for Chuck. Long term, we may regret it depending on how things pan out. Gay's rookie season and preseason hasn't caused me to reconsider that.

Also, instead of continuing the discussion in this thread, you should just start up a new one if you want to revisit this issue.

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Raise your hand if you thought Steve was brought here to play lock down D!?!?

Anyone?

So, why are we all shocked at how crappy his D is?

5. durvasa

What's shocking is how ineffective his offense has been. And the fact that his D has looked so poor compounds the problem.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I thought Steve was brought back to jump around the court like a grass hopper.

In a serious note, I thought Steve would do a much better job at D than Rafer. But I'll give him some time, he's still adjusting. Like Bullard said during the game vs the Sonics, usually a player gets used to the "i'm gonna get mine" mentality when they play for a really bad team. Not used to the whole team effort game, just do what's best for you. Score as much as you can on the offense and do as little defense as you can. But I think that should change by Jan-Feb.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Clearly a question you should be asking in a thread about Steve Francis' defense.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Nice try. Are you trying to make the case that player voted fourth in the defensive player of the year award last season is actually a poor defender? Gotcha.

Come back when Rudy Gay is producing on a playoff caliber team, and then we can argue. Regardless, Battier is a better fit for this team right now and I don't see how anyone can deny this.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i can deny it because battier didn't get us out the first round of the playoffs, therefore its a FAILURE

I don't see how anyone can deny that.

yeah, some guy who can jump out the freakin gym and looks like a young t mac is a worse fit, who's only twenty

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

already been addressed,

)lowry started off hot on james, b) when francis needed a stop at the end of regulation, he got it, novak missed the shot, and c) lowry scored the last points on someone other than steve

its a non issue

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I deny it. Battier trade was the right move at the right time.

But to get back to the thread topic, one of the many reasons I did not like the Francis signing was his D-bacle last year in New York. It's one of the first things to go as people lose their physical gifts. See: Payton, G.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

He's a worse fit because all he would be doing right now is taking shots away from far superior players in Yao and T-Mac. He would be adding none of the other things to complement them like Battier does. Thus, Battier is a better fit right now.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if we don't get out the first round, how is it a good trade.

yao and t-mac don't need someone to help them get to the playoffs

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I have to agree with this. Gay would be good if we're on a rebuilding mode. Like he said, at the end of the day it's whoever can benefit us the most right now.

Maybe somewhere down the line when everyone gets old or is gone, Gay would be a good fit, but I don't think this team is looking that far ahead into the future just yet.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Now THIS is sig-worthy.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Stevie doesn't look thrilled. He looks just as lost as he looked in NYC with the Knicks. But I expected this, so it's nothing I can't deal with. Stevie is just one of those players that has a very difficult time making his game 'fit', and it's NOT because he doesn't try to, he just struggles to do it. It is what it is...

We will see how it goes, but he's still a good asset off the bench any way you cut it...and pretty damn cheap.

17. durvasa

How is it a bad trade, if we wouldn't have done any better (and, actually, probably worse) with Gay/Swift instead last year?

Because Gay has the potential to develop into a special player, right? Well, let's just see how he develops. The rap on him in college was he was talented, showed flashes of being very good, but also was frustratingly inconsistent. He needs to show that he's matured in that respect.

18. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I was getting embarrassed for SF after Lowry drove around him at will...but then SF picked it up on the offensive end. Some of those lay-ups were vintage Steve Francis.

Still, this year I'd see his rolse as instant offense and offensive defense off the bench...

19. durvasa

How much of the shot clock did he have to eat up to get those vintage layups, though? He needs to be able to make those drives quicker, and in the flow of the offense.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because battier didn't help get the rockets out the first round, with a game seven at home, against a team everyone assumed they would beat.

the one single change on last year's team from the dismal team of 05 was a player who we gave up a guy who looks like he could be the next mcgrady, who scored just as many points as battier, who plays so good of defense, he ripped mcgrady last night went on the other end for a dunk.

I don't see how it could be more plainer. what were battier's +/- stats during the playoffs?