1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Novak - Scott Padgett

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YugoRocketsFan, Feb 18, 2008.

1. YugoRocketsFan

Do you guys think that Steve Novak will get more playing time because of the game winner he hit? Everyone remember in 04-05 when Padgett made that game winner and became a key contributor? Will that happen to Novak?

If so, he should be in there for not long periods of time but get wide open shots, dude can defenitely shoot the ball into the basket, when hes open its almost automatic.

2. kwng

kwng Member

Probably but who will he replace?? During JVG era, we do not have a lot
    depth in PF compared to now. We have Scola, Landry, Hayes now so it's deep.

3. choujie

choujie Member

Padgett was actually not a bad rebounder.

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

Novak will get playing time against zone defenses. Samething with Steve Kerr when he played with the Spurs. He came in when the defense was sagging in on Duncan and clogging up the lane. Then Kerr came in and camped out at the 3 point line. Kerr was deadly from out there. Didn't require Kerr to be that active on offense either. Just sorta roam the 3 point line.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Scott was also decent on defense. He did play under Tubby... so he was at least forced to play it a little bit in college.

6. Ashes

Ashes Member

Novak will be our Robert Horry. Except without defense, rebounding, or athleticism. ;)

7. conquistador#11

novak is the perfect marksman. His release is so pure, that he doesn't need time to get a feel for the game. steve novak = matt bullard II

8. R-Jay

R-Jay Member

Playing time for Steve Novak will be given accordingly, depending on the situations the defense gives them. All he needs to do is to be always ready and always give his best shot whenever he is called. He had showed it that he is clutch and a confident shooter. Playing time is not a problem when he continue to contribute with the team..

Just call me "Novak" and I'll be there...

9. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

If you play Novak more he will be taking away Bonzi's minutes and right now we need Bonzi to play as many minute as the coach can give him so he can get in better shape (mentally) for playoffs (if we make it) also Head needs to get back both physically and mentally. I see Novaks time increasing by only a minute or 2 (most of it in 4th quarter to open up the floor)

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

sometimes I would just like to see novak jack up a three instead of anyone else shooting a contested shot.

11. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

[he will def play a bigger part in the rotation.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Scotty had more game than Novak and I remember him hitting a couple of game winners ala Novak but that didn't keep him in the league. Lets be real about Novaks chances here, it was a nice shot but he has a lot of shortcomings one being he is an easy cover and if teams want to shut him down they can.

13. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

I think Novak would do a good job on the allstar 3pt contest. But I doubt he will get invited.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm just disappointed that he hasn't bulked up so he won't get abused on defense. The guy really needs to put on some muscle.

One half of me is glad he's found a niche and I want him to succeed badly just like the other young guys, but other half is worried he's pretty much reached his ceiling and can't improve his all around game.

I was hoping he'd improve his all around skills to someone like Luke Walton. Jason Kapono, a person he gets compared to alot, has more of an NBA body and doesn't get pushed around on D, Novak should aim for that, as Kapono is an entrenched 20 minute rotation player not a fringe rotation player.

Funny how we have both 2006 and 2007 NCAA 3pt Shootout Winners, Novak and Aaron Brooks (and both got beat by the women's champ). Wonder if it was Moneyball that pointed us to them. And I saw Landry in the crowd for the 2007 Competition, the women's champ was a Boilermaker.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Padgett's game-winner against the Knicks was a lucky runner he tossed towards the backboard and it luckily went in. After that game, JVG showed some confidence in the guy and he proceeded to completely choke in the clutch when he had open shots. It got so bad he ended up glued to the bench, justifiably.

Two years ago, remember that huge late comeback we had against the Lakers? We had a couple of chances to tie. On a WIDE OPEN 3 pointer, Padgett barely caught the front of the rim. Later on with less than a minute left in the game and the Rockets down 2, Padgett bricked two FTs that would have tied the game. I never forgave him for that. That was one of the toughest Rockets losses for me ever.

Conclusion: Scott Padgett was a below average player and a choker extraordinaire. The least we can do is hope Novak doesn't crater and lose all of his muscle memory when the game is on the line.

P.S: Padgett was a C/F while Novak is a SF/PF. They aren't very similar.

16. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I remembered that Scottie hit a game winner in MSG.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Before you go to bed get one thing straight Padgett was NEVER a KEY contributor. His best years were behind him when he left Utah and was but a lowly scrub while playing with the Rockets. Except for that one game winner! :p

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I never understood why padgett wasn't used more...He seemed to be pretty solidly effecient when on the court...in terms of scoring that is

19. conquistador#11

Padgett once received a kiss on the cheek from ashley judd after winning a title, that alone makes scotty the body a legend.

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He was incredibly slow and unathletic... that's why.