1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Novak - and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 12, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Generally there are two camps regarding Novak.

One side says he is an amazing shooter and should see some floor time.

While the other side says he is slow and his defense is very poor and as such should be exactly where he is, riding the pine.

I honestly think that both sides are close, but there is more to it than just that.

Novak is an amazing shooter with very poor defense, but there are lots of guys who are like that playing in the NBA today and historically.

Why then can't Steve make even a marginal impact?

I believe it is because of Yao Ming.

I think that with all the athletes and foot speed in today's NBA you can not afford to have 2 slow footed players on the court at the same time.

It just creates too much of an advantage for the other team, they have 2 pick and roll options to exploit, and no way the other 3 players can cover up for their lack of footspeed.

I believe Novak is every bit as good as Matt Bullard, the difference being is that Bullard had the cat-like Hakeem guarding the basket whereas Novak has the slow plodding Yao.

I think Novak can play, but not with Yao, it is just too much of a defensive liability for the team, which is ironic, I think he was drafted specifically to play with Yao, hoping he could open it up for him...but his slowness of foot has basically ruined that plan.

The only way I could see the two play together is if the team ran a zone defense while they are in, that way others could help cover up their shorcommings, but even that would only marginally work, and could be a major risk.

Therefore, I think Novak is going to have to move on, or the Rockets can only play him spotty minutes when Yao is out......and lord knows we are not benching a 7'6" beast like Yao.....I mean he is slow but he is FINALLY using his size, and that is a massive advantage for the Rockets.

So, in conclusion, I think Novak can play, but only in a situational role like Matt Bullard...and without Yao on the court.....

DD

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I can't say I don't agree with you on this one DaDa.

Novak is nice to have on the offensive side of the floor because you just can't give him an open look. Sadly though with Yao being Yao, there is nobody to pick up the defensive slack when Novak gets his ankles turned on edge.

I love him, but I think Rick is playing him exactly the way he should be played at the moment.

3. ibm

ibm Member

as bad as his defense is, for one i hope he will eventually learn, but we can always find some minutes for him either when the other team has a lot of bench players on the floor or when we need a quick 3.

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

I think he could see minutes in obviously high scoring games. Sometimes the defense just isn't working, and the game is about putting the ball in the hoop. He can do that.

Those games for the Rockets aren't terribly favorable to their overall talent so I'm not suggesting this as a team MO. I just hope JA will recognize when conditions are right for Novak to get minutes. Last second shooting is another way he can find his way onto the court.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hope I don't offend anyone, but how come all the atheletic non black players come from europe? I mean dirk,biedrens,boki,manu are from overseas. How many atheletic non euro guys do the colleges produce?

The problem I have with novak, korver and guys like that is the same I have with these super athelete types. Just like u can be a better shooter, u can become a better athelete. U can get quicker and more explosive. I watched guys do a lot of track work and get better athletically.

In the summer if novak can get stronger and quicker, he can be a good player. He can be a good player by working on his ball handling, foot speed,and core stregnth.

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Yao Ming is hindering Steve Novak's development!!! Ship him out ASAP!!!

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with your conclusion but for a different reason, as stated in the existing thread on Novak. Slowness and lack of strength are big issues. But lack of defense and rebounding are symptoms of the bigger problem with Novak: Very poor instincts at the NBA level. Hours in the gym have given him a great shooting stroke, but he just doesn't have enough court sense on both ends to be out there very often. It isn't an intelligence issue; it's just he lacks the innate sense and feel of the game many NBA players have and his below average athleticism magnifies this flaw. Or you could say Novak's lack of court sense and instincts magnify his poor athleticism.

Just like everyone else, I get excited every time he shoots the ball. But his days might be numbered here because the Rockets will conclude his upside is limited.

8. mister pc

mister pc Member

Alston, Brooks
    Tmac, Head
    Battier, Wells
    Scola, Landry, Hayes
    Yao

Where are you going to fit Novak in that rotation? Novak is possibly the 11th best player on the team but the 11th guy rarely gets playing time on an NBA team. Novak's shot is good, but he is way too one dimensional. Novak will get off the bench only under two scenarios: 1) The Rockets have a comfortable lead and want to rest the real rotation players or 2) in a situation where the Rockets need 3 points. Novak, Brooks, Tmac, Battier would make for a very dangerous lineup of 3pt shooters.

9. bjshot

bjshot Member

Yes, Novak can make shot, but he can't get a shot on court because of both slowness and BB instinct. If he is but has high BB IQ, he definitely can find shot with Yao and Tmac. He need to run smartly to find open shot.

10. Nero

Nero Member

I agree with the idea that Novak CAN and SHOULD understand his limitations and work to overcome them. His defense has in fact improved, and while that's not necessarily saying a lot, it does show that he can make improvements.

The coaches need to identify the best methods for improving his game to the point where he can be on the floor more regularly.

Roster-wise, you've got a good solid young rotation with our new additions, and it pretty much spells the end of the Rockets time for guys liek James, SF and Snyder. Deke won't be back either, so I have no doubts that Novak will be back next year.

Real question is, can this team continue to keep 3 players who are so similar in Hayes, Landry and Scola? (One of these things is not like the other: who is it? Chuckie. He can't score on his own without getting a feed directly under the basket, or on a put-back. The other two can create their own shots) Ideally, we get some value for Chuck in the offseason and Novak improves his defense and quickness enough to be given at least the minutes that Chuck gets now.

Especially if we get a younger and quicker backup to Yao instead of Deke, Novak can more easily be on the floor at times like that.

Bottom line, the kid can put the ball in the hole from long range, and that can make up for a lot.

11. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Actually, deke is our 11th guy, james and noval are competing the 12th spot.

12. DaDakota

Ideally it would be great if Novak could get some backup PF and C minutes to stretch the defense....but that would depend on matchups....

DD

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

DD, I've much man love for U. But blaming Yao for the fact that Novak couldn't keep a YMCA baller from getting to the bucket is foul as a Shaq free throw.

Defense is about desire and Novak has no desire to play D. We would do well with Golden State, Washington, and Phoenix. Teams that play no D and rely on out scoring you. This Rocket teams rely on stops to build the lead.

Novak needs to go, along with Head to Memphis for Miller.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

On defense, Novak is a weakling who could be abused almost any PF or C. All they would have to do is post him up and dunk the ball. On offense, Novak isn't good enough (yet) at getting open to punish his defender. He needs to watch film of Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton. If Reggie could get open, Novak should be able to. Players should dread trying to keep up with him.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Novak could be good in a role as something of a closer. If the Rockets are up 10 points or so on a team, put Novak in after the opposition calls a time-out and see if we can get him a couple of back-to-back threes. Suddenly, that lead starts looking insurmountable. I think Novak's best in short spurts, otherwise his defense will be repeatedly exploited.

Wow I just posted in the GARM.

16. DaDakota

I can't argue that he needs to move without the ball and they should run plays for him when he is out there. As for posting up, that is precisely why I said it would depend on matchups....there are lots of 4s and 5s these days who have little or no post game at all.

We might be able to squeeze a minute or two out of him in those situations.

DD

17. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Im tired of analyzing Steve Novak, anyone else with me here?

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

fer me, the issue isn't whether chemistry limits Novak.

can we use a dead eye shooter with a quick release? for what he costs, i say aye! as part of the current roster, there must be great situational utility for a player shooting over .500 from the 3.

the Bulls found ways to blend Kerr's talent. RA should be able to place Steve in potentially successfully scenarios.

long term residency? depends on market value.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Steve Nash? I think the answer you are looking for is that athletic white Americans are more likely to choose football than basketball, because outside of the inner city, that's where they can get the glory.

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

Over, did you say it's over! Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!
    Germans?

And it ain't over now

When the going get tough............

The tough get going.

Who's with me!