1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve McNair to Retire

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351086

The news that Steve McNair decided to retire Thursday came as a little bit of a surprise.

According to his agent, Bus Cook, McNair had only expressed a desire to retire in the past couple of days. He had been training hard during the offseason, doing a lot of weightlifting and running to help his legs. At the NFL owners meeting, new Ravens coach John Harbaugh praised McNair for his hard work and indicated he had lost about 10 pounds from last season.

On Wednesday, McNair and Cook discussed the retirement possibilities and the veteran quarterback said he was going to inform the team Thursday about retiring.

McNair, 35, announced his decision to teammates at a packed meeting prior to the Ravens' workouts Thursday morning.

"Steve is just really tired," Cook said. "He just didn't think he had the energy to keep it going."

A news conference is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday at the Ravens' headquarters in Owings Mills, Md. Harbaugh, general manager Ozzie Newsome and wide receiver Derrick Mason and cornerback Samari Rolle are expected to accompany McNair at the news conference.

McNair spent 13 seasons in the NFL, and was named the co-Most Valuable Player in 2003.

Drafted by the then-Houston Oilers in the first round of the 1995 draft out of Division I-AA Alcorn State, McNair became a starter in his third season -- the franchise's first in Tennessee. He led the Titans to the Super Bowl XXXIV, where he led a comeback that fell one yard short of a game-tying touchdown as time expired in the St. Louis Rams' 23-16 win.

McNair was known as "Air McNair" in college, where he set NCAA records in Alcorn State's wide-open offense and won the 1994 Walter Payton Award as the best player in I-AA football. But he shed that nickname for a reputation for physical toughness in the NFL, where he often played through injuries.

In his 13-year career, McNair completed 2,733 of 4,544 passes for 31,304 yards and 174 touchdowns with 119 interceptions. He also carried for 3,590 yards.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sure wish he would have played his best years in Houston.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Air McNair. That dude was underrated. I remember in 98 before they officially became the The Titans, he ran 80 yards for scramble against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a win. strong as an ox, leader.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I was so excited when the Oilers drafted this guy. Turned out to be a very good NFL player as well.

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I remember being totally bummed when they drafted him. Turns out, I was totally wrong...for once.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It was sad last year watching trainers put towels around him while they dropped his pants and iced his groin. He didn't come out of the game.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bummer. I was trying to leverage a former Oiler into caring about the Baltimore Ravens, since they're my local NFL team. Oh well. I'll just have more time on Sundays.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good career and almost won a Super Bowl. One of the toughest players I've ever seen in the NFL. Smart decision to retire now because he's been running on fumes.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

When you think about the "all he does is win" QBs, McNair doesn't come to mind, but thats what he did.

He didn't have the best arm, didn't have the best legs, but he just had great football smarts and was tough as nails.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is truly the end of a McNera.

11. JamesC

JamesC Member

So just to be clear, is he the last of the Houston Oilers to retire?

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nah. Jeff Fisher is still around :eek:

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

True, but I was thinking about the players.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Jon Runyan.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Runyan never actually played in Houston did he? I mean I know he was with Tennessee when they were still called the Oilers but he never was in Houston when they truly were the Oilers.

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Yeah, the last Oilers year in Houston was Runyon's first year in the League.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He was as tough as they come at QB. Also the fact that he re-invented himself from a fullback playing QB to a pocket passer in mid-career was pretty amazing as well. If Kevin Dyson gets into the endzone against the rams & the titans win, I'd say he would be an HOF'r, that was a vince young-esque comeback.

18. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Now it's time for Kyle Boller and Troy Smith to duke it out as the heir mcnair...My money's on Smith.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

McNair was a damn good QB who seemed to always just fall short of the Title. I remember back in 03 when they faced the Raiders in the AFC Title Game he single-handedly kept them in the game with clutch 3rd down scrambles, laying his body on the line to get that extra yard... Steve McNair was old school and although not a gifted Passer, he got the most out of himself game in, game out.

I always respected the hell out of Air McNair... and I was very jealous when the Titans basically got McNair 2.0 with Vince.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That sucks. He was probably my favorite QB still in the league.