1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr needs to stop loving Yao Ming so much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rimbaud, Feb 8, 2005.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Somehow you just know Shaq, Ducan, KG, Kidd is going to make lot of teams better. I think Yao too. Yao made rockets better, didnt he? Yao is going to make a lot of other teams better too. I am not so sure Brad frigging Miller is that type of players.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ok, we now agree Yao is a better player of the two. Good. Check.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yes. But a player being better than another does not necessarily mean they deserve to be an all-star more. After all, the all-star game is about performance. It's about who performs well enough to deserve being an all-star. Not who's the most talented or else Manu Ginobilli wouldn't have made the squad. Yao may be more talented than Miller, but performance-wise, it's close to equal.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

So basically you are saying, Miller is having a better season than Yao but if you swap Yao with Miller, Yao probably can make Kings better, but Miller should start over Yao in the allstar. Huh, very twisted.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Miller's stats

2004 SAC 47 36.9 5.7 10.7 53.8 0.1 0.3 31.3 4.1 5.0 80.6 2.5 6.7 9.3 3.7 1.5 1.2 1.2 3.2 15.7

He plays 5 more minutes a game, score 3 some points less than Yao, half rebounds better, and 2 assits better. It's a weak argument to say Miller has performed better. Very weak. It's a wash, even though I give you that, Yao is a better player, so Yao starts allstar, and Kerr is moron.

7. SamCassell

No, I'm saying the same thing New Jack is saying. Which is that Yao is better, and deserves to start the All Star game. Having Yao in the starting lineup is good for the fans. But Miller's season is statistically equivilent to Yao's. Both do some things better than the other.

No idea how you can say "it's a wash" and "Kerr is a moron" in the same sentence, with a straight face.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

1) Yao is a better player than Miller. -- check
    2) Yao performs as well as Brad Miller in a less talented team. -- check
    3) Hence, Yao starts over Miller in the allstar game. -- check, ok?

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

That 2nd one doesn't make any sense

maybe if Brad Miller was on a less talented team he would be forced to perform better..maybe?

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I used the word "might".

Anyway, I was arguing with Sam I am which player is better: Yao, or Miller. It's natural to argue that Yao might make a bigger impact than Miller if playing for the Kings, or Yao could be more effective if we played the King's system.

Is there anything wrong with that argument?;)

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think you should have said "much" a few more times, maybe that could have underscored your point a bit more.

By the way, Yao Ming costs his team $ 4.4 mio. this season. Shaq costs $ 27.7 mio. this season. Is Shaq more than 6 times better than Yao Ming?

Quite possibly, with the right coaching. Wade had a big part in them leading the East as well...and they have Eddie Jones and Haslem, that is not a bad team.

I'm not saying Yao Ming is as good as Shaq (yet), and he is nowhere near as dominant (but he does have more range and is a much better free-throw shooter), but I just don't understand why our own fans must apparently make it a point to keep saying that Shaq is "much, much, much better than Yao, this year, last year, every year". Yeah, he is better, but I am very happy with Yao.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Nah, you have accept 1) first.

13. SamCassell

Salary is completely irrelevant. Are there players we're getting because we save money with Yao? No, we're capped out anyway. Are there players that Miami's not getting because they have Shaq? No, they seem to be doing just fine with his salary. And they'd tell you he's worth every penny.

I was responding to someone who said that Shaq "learned the hard way" losing to Yao in last year's all-star game, that he had "nothing to be ashamed of." I wasn't trying to make it a point, like you claim. But the fact is that Shaq is a better player. He's a physical freak, with his size and agility and coordination at that size. Shaq is just more talented, and more experienced, and he has the rings to prove he can carry a team to multiple titles. I am happy to have Yao too, but I can still be objective and say he's not the best. I loved having Clyde Drexler on the team, even though Jordan was a better player. Check my posting history, I'm not anti-Yao by any means. Shaq is still much, much, much, much, much better than Yao is (extra muches added for your benefit).

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Isn't it a better idea, or more unbiased way to look at Yao's career in 10 years?

Shaq was better than Yao this year, last year, but to say that Shaq is much, much, much better than Yao ever year is complete childish and stupid.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

;)

16. PhiSlammaJamma

In defense of Kerr, he was way ahead of the curve when analyzing the rockets backcourt situation. And he wasn't afraid to voice it. He seems to see things relatively clearly.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, if he says Amare should start over Yao. I have no problem with it, even though Amare is listed as PF. Amare has a far better season stats wise than Yao. If he says Brand should get a nod, I will say maybe. But somehow it bothers me to hear Brad Miller should start over Yao. It shows this Yao hate is catching on for whatever reasons.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Sam I am, please don't try to skew my point. I was saying that even Shaq lost to Yao in the all-star voting. As such, Brad Miller has nothing to be ashamed of losing to Yao (because Brad is a much lesser player than Shaq). And it's a consensus in the league that Shaq and Yao are head and shoulders above the rest of the centers although you might make an argument for big Z.

Shaq lost to Yao two years ago mainly because he missed too many games before the all star break. Last year, Yao outplayed him twice before the all star break. You can make an argument as to why the fans voted Yao over Shaq even if I believe that Shaq was better than Yao last year. It is indeed interesting that Yao played Shaq to a near draw during their nine head to head meetings last year. Name me another center that is able to hold his/her ;) own against Shaq in a season, or a series.

BTW, did I say that Yao was better than Shaq in any of my posts?;)

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

Yao is not one of these superstar players like Shaq or Mcgrady, where you know no matter what team or system they go to, they'll surely make the team better. Yao may perform better than Miller in the Kings system or he may fall flat on his face there. We'll never know unless we actually see with with our own eyes. Simply imagining how he MIGHT perform if he played for the Kings instead of Miller is pointless. Your argument has no merit because you have no concrete evidence that swapping Miller for Yao would result in the Kings being a more successful team. The only thing we know for sure is that Brad Miller is a perfect fit in the Kings system.

20. Panda

Panda Member

Maybe we should trade Yao for Miller straight up, because Miller performs better?:rolleyes:

I love when people flash out the stat sheet and act like it's the whole picture. By such logic, Amare is better than Shaq, Duncan, McGrady and Garnett because he scores more, or he "performs" better than those guys. Performance is an empty word devoid of meaning - in the basketball world, one can be of less impact even if he's more productive in stats. There is many intangibles a player brings to table not measured by stats.