1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Kerr article on Orlando

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Strong foundation

by Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
    January 21, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. – "Who got the better end of the trade?" That was the question on everyone's mind when Tracy McGrady and the Houston Rockets visited the Orlando Magic Thursday for the first time since the two teams completed a blockbuster trade last summer.

The general consensus so far this season has been that Orlando got the upper hand in the trade. After all, Steve Francis is having an all-star season and the Magic have already matched last season's win total of 21. Houston, on the other hand, was expected to be a championship contender but has plodded along inconsistently, entering the game against the Magic in eighth place in the West.

While one game can't justify a trade one way or the other, Houston took it to the Magic Thursday. The normally passive Rockets played an inspired game, turning in one of their best efforts of the season and dominating the Magic, winning 108-99.

The game was played before a raucous crowd that booed McGrady lustily at every opportunity. After the trade, T-Mac left town on bad terms with the Magic, calling the fans "fair weathered," blasting general manager John Weisbrod and even blaming the Orlando media for misrepresenting some of his comments. (It is believed to be the first time any athlete has blamed the Orlando media for anything).

He even recently admitted to Sports Illustrated that he didn't always play hard during last season's wretched Magic season. Effort was not an issue Thursday for T-Mac, however, as he passionately led his team to victory. The Rockets showed more energy than they have all year by hitting the offensive glass, attacking the rim and dominating in the paint. It was the type of performance Houston fans were expecting from the outset of this season.

Despite losing the game, Weisbrod is quite happy with the trade overall. The Magic have a deep roster, are playing an entertaining, up-tempo style and appear to be a legitimate playoff team in the Eastern Conference.

A year ago, Weisbrod felt that he had to alter what had become a losing culture, and that sweeping changes were needed. "Players would leave the building last year and feel fine when we lost," said Weisbrod recently. "Tracy would get his 35 and say, 'what else can I do?' Nobody was taking any responsibility for the team's failures. You can't knock down any walls that way."

Weisbrod proceeded to overhaul his roster, trading McGrady and adding eight new faces, including three starters who came over in the trade from Houston – Francis, Kelvin Cato and Cuttino Mobley. (Mobley was traded last week to Sacramento for Doug Christie).

In addition, the Magic signed free agent Hedo Turkoglu and selected Dwight Howard with the No. 1 pick in the draft. Howard is starting and averaging close to a double-double at 10 points and just fewer than 10 boards each game. Also, he and Cato have shored up the team's interior defense. As Howard grows, begins to understand the NBA game and develops his offensive skills, he'll be downright scary.

Perhaps the biggest addition to the Magic lineup has been Grant Hill. The former all-star has made one of the great comebacks in league history. After missing most of the past four seasons with foot problems, Hill is back and playing well. He has lost some of his athleticism, but he has reinvented his game and is now a very good jump shooter. He's scoring almost 19 points per game and shooting 51 percent, and his maturity and leadership are helping to build the winning culture Weisbrod wants.

The Magic now have talent at every position, and they appear to be building a strong foundation for the future. Weisbrod has done a great job, and the trade worked out well for him. His team is on the rise.

As for Houston, the future is unclear. McGrady and Yao Ming haven't been as potent together as many people predicted. Both are extremely gifted, but neither is a natural born, fiery leader. And as good as they both are individually, they need help. The trade depleted the roster of depth and speed, and Houston is thin at several positions.

GM Carroll Dawson addressed some of those issues by signing Bob Sura and trading for Jon Barry and David Wesley. They have given the team much-needed toughness, and Sura in particular has been terrific. But these guys are also a bit long in the tooth and are short-term solutions.

For this trade to make sense for Houston, the Rockets have to add depth and athleticism to surround Yao and McGrady. Yao has a wonderful touch and is a good low-post player. But he needs a Charles Oakley-type strongman next to him to rebound, defend and knock down 17-foot jump shots. And McGrady, despite his prodigious talents, needs a point guard who can handle the ball and lead the team.

So was the trade good for Houston? We'll see. Unlike Orlando, the Rockets have a lot of holes in their lineup still. It is what the Rockets do from here that matters most.

Link

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What I don't get is who exactly thought we would be championship contenders? Kornheiser and Wilbon? Steve Kerr himself? Stephen A. Smith? These media pundits keep saying this, but they were the ones who also made unrealistic predictions.

When asked before the season started what kind of year we would have, I knew I was being optimistic when I predicted 5th seed.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You can say that again.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

75% of this board.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually, after the trade happened I think I saw a lot of sites putting us in the top 4 for most preseason standings. There were also quite a few Rockets are primed to lift off articles. So while we had started badly, I think the team is starting to gel and we might still be in the top 4 this year.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kerr is right on the money.

DD

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This season?

I know we have as much a chance as a team like Memphis this season but it was in my imagination a mere long shot. I was more excited about the foundation we layed. Folks like Kerr, Greg Anthony and their likes are either uninformed, naive or just just suffering from diarrhea of the mouth.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, I don't remember too many posting about how this team wasn't that good after the trade. So all of these people who say they knew we weren't going to be that good were pretty must have kept that opinion to themselves before the season.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kerr's article is good, but everything he says is really obvious ~ personally I think both teams 'won' with this trade.

BTW- The biggest winner out of all of this business might be Sacramento after nabbing Mobley from Orlando ~ Cat is a perfect fit for the Kings.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't have time to search but the absolute and overwhelming majority of this board started in with the "50+ wins" threads and posts immediately after the trade. Embedded within this group was the "if JVG can't improve our record by more than 3 wins, he's a horrible coach". That mindset dominated the thinking on this board long before training camp.

Someone started a thread posting Feigen's article that the Rox would be .500 after December and the board came unglued. I recall this vividly because I agreed with Feigen but that was a vastly minority opinion.

11. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

I remember when this trade occurred all of my co-workers were telling me that we would now go deep into the playoffs and maybe to the championship for the upcoming season.

My reply was, "How is trading four players from a team that won 21 games last year with three starters from a team that made the playoffs in the western conference constitue a championship year?"

There response was that we now had T-Mac, but I could not help but shake my head and tell them that a Yao - T-mac foudation is a good start but the role players (Before Sura, Ward, Deke, and the later trades for Barry and Wesley) were crap except for JJ and MoTay off the bench.

I think that the additions beyond the T-mac - Steve trade have helped, but we all know that beyond T-mac, Yao, and AB we are a geriatric squad that could play the old-timers game during the all-star break.

I personally predicted that to my friends that follow the Rockets that we would be a .500 team this year. Though I was totally disappointed with how the team began the season with their slow-down tempo and the boring 48 min grind-it-out games. But their recent play has been enjoyable to watch (winning makes most things bareable) and I think it would make for a good season (this year) if we make the playoffs.

I just think that in time with proper personel moves/acquisitions the Rocket's future looks promising.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yessir. . i am in this group

Rocket RIver

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This team had the talent to get homecourt in the West this year and the trades made up to this point only improved upon that. Their talent is top 5 at the very worst.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Although that was a great performance, the ROx have had great performances the past month or so. The win over the Mavericks was perhaps the most impressive and the one over the Nuggets was awesome. All in all I think Kerr is right on the $ on his assessment. The Rockets may not be a championship contender this season but I can see them winning 2-3 games in the first round. Peace.