1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Fransis could be forced to retire

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brando2101, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Francis did negotiate a contract buyout with the Knicks, he could sign with anyone for whatever salary he was willing to take, or that team was willing to pay, right? Just curious.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

pretty much, Jalen Rose is a perfect example, Knicks bought him out and Phx signed him to a veterans' minimum

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Another thing the Knicks would get out of a medical retirement from Francis is a 7.5M TE.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why does everyone assume he might be retiring when he's quoted as saying it is definitely not career-threatening?

In any case, I'm assuming he's just holding out for a trade and then will quickly recover when he lands with a team he likes.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In some buyouts, it stipulates that any salary they make from another team gets subtracted from the buyout.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Completely agree with this post.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I can't possibly see somebody trading for him. He's beyond Webber-bad knee status.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, he's had so many surgeries. :rolleyes:

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We're talking close to $50 million owed to a guy that's not playing and hounded with rumors of bad knees and a possible retirement. How accurate those rumors are aside, something is definitely up and I would be really surprised if he played again in any significant role this year.

Webber is owed a ton of money too but at least he's playing and his deal comes off the books next year. His expiring contract next year will be a great trade asset for Philly if they plan on making any blockbuster moves and on the flip side will look great to potential trade partners trying to rebuild (Minnesota, Boston, Memphis, NJ, GS, etc).

If you ask me, Webber is the more desirable player right now.

10. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/485338p-408618c.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Francis wants to give it another shot

BY FRANK ISOLA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

SACRAMENTO - The agent for injured Knicks guard Steve Francis said yesterday that speculation that his client is seeking a buyout or that a sore right knee could force Francis into an early retirement "is absurd."

"That's not even remotely in the equation," said Jeff Fried, Francis' Washington D.C.-based representative. "This is all about him rehabbing and getting back to helping his team." Fried added that Francis has every intention of playing again this season.

"Absolutely," he said. "That's why there is such a dedicated focus on the rehab. That's the whole reason behind the decision to be in Houston."

Fried revealed that he and Francis approached the Knicks about their plan to seek treatment in Houston, where Francis owns a home. Francis went through his first session yesterday with former NBA player and coach John Lucas.

The Knicks granted Francis permission to leave, but it is debatable if they would allow, say, Eddy Curry or Channing Frye to seek rehab away from the team if either player was suffering from a similar condition. Former Knick Penny Hardaway rehabbed in Houston last season under Lucas before eventually being traded to Orlando in the deal for Francis.

Knicks strength and conditioning coach Greg Brittenham is regarded as one of the best in the league, and the team's medical staff has all the resources to treat its players.

Frye, who suffered an ankle injury in November, rehabbed under Brittenham. Quentin Richardson, who missed his ninth straight game last night, has remained with the team to receive treatment for back spasms.

Francis' decision to leave the team with the Knicks' blessing has fueled speculation that he does not want to be in New York and that the Knicks don't want him. Since the day Francis arrived, Isiah Thomas has let it be known that Larry Brown was the driving force behind acquiring Francis.

Stephon Marbury said in October that Brown wanted Francis to eventually replace him at point guard. When Brown was fired in June, Garden chairman James Dolan said that trading for Francis was a mistake. That led to Thomas traveling to Maryland in July to meet with Francis as a goodwill gesture and demonstrate to the former All-Star that he was in the Knicks' plans.

Francis told several teammates last season that he didn't understand why the Knicks traded for him and that he was hoping to be dealt. But three days ago, Francis maintained that he is committed to playing for the Knicks and that he is not looking to go elsewhere. Francis is scheduled to earn $48 million through the 2008-09 season.

The Knicks have never been shy about paying off high-priced, unwanted employees, including Shandon Anderson, Jerome Williams, Maurice Taylor, Jalen Rose, Lenny Wilkens and Brown. Francis could one day be added to that list.

"I believe there is a real enthusiasm for New York," Fried said. "Steve just needs to get himself back on the court, physically and mentally."

11. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

If the Knicks buyout Francis, then I'd welcome him home back to Houston. You know how much Stevie loves H-Town and I'm sure he'd give the Rockets first dibs on him. He'll still get paid from the Knicks so signing back with the Rockets for cheap isn't far fetched. I honestly think he could do a better job running the point than Rafer. Imagine this lineup:

PG - Francis
    SG - T-Mac
    SF- Shane
    PF - Hayes
    C - Yao

Bench: Head,Bonzi,Juwon,Snyder,Alston,Deke

Killer starting lineup with a deep bench. Get it done! BRING FRANCIS HOME.

12. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Man, I was/am one of the biggest Stevie supporters and hated to see him go but when you have the opportunity to get T-Mac, you just can't pass that up.

I hope he gets released/bought out and can go to a franchise that will support him and he can thrive in. I understand he is hard headed and doesn't make the right decisions on/off the court all the time but he is good dude and deserves a chance to resurrect his career.

People think David Carr has it bad, Stevie went through worse his last 2 seasons in Houston. I remember him being blamed for everything from smog to the obesity problem in Houston, it was freaking ridiculous.

You're in my prayers Stevie!

13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The only thing redeeming about the post above is that you didnt say "git-r-dun." Do you really think Van Gundy wants him back? Come on....

14. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Except for that playoff series with the Lakers, where we saw Stevie at his absolute peak. He was a monster in that series. I miss his heart, just not his dribbling.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would welcome him back. I think he has matured a little more and maybe he could work it out with Van Gundy. He couldnt be any worse than Rafer.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As a rookie he once put up 25, 17, and 14. It was the most prolific triple double since Wilt...

17. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

steve and golf! thats funny!! :D

18. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I just hate the way he left houston. He was pretty much kicked out of houston. Good luck to him and his future! :)