1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis update...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TxTchRT41, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Duncan is about 10 months older than Francis. They are almost the same age.

The average age in the NBA is about 27. Francis will turn 32 during next season, so you are right that he is relatively old.

2. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

i understand all of that. my point is that he does not have a history of missing practices, or games (aside from injury), so why make it as big of an issue as it did?

i think we all know the type of effort Steve put into every game and practice, and the lengths he went to to create a bond with a team. that was a pretty tight knit team, much like the one we have today.

3. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

Stevie is progressing in age. However, he's younger than Rafer.

I'm tired of waiting. Someone call Steve and tell him to give us an update.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It wasn't
    JVG and his acolytes made it into a big deal

Rocket River
    . . . I mean it is not like he quit on his team . . . ..

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

it's easy for alot of rockets fans to sit back and count francis out... besides... why get dissappointed after we got our hopes up last season, right? :rolleyes:

that said, steve francis could be as integral a part of this team winning as ron artest.

if steve francis has some heart left in the tank, this could be a special year.

6. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Steve's motivation right now is winning an NBA championship. That should be pretty obvious to those that are wondering why he is working so hard. :)

7. echu888

echu888 Member

Quoted for truth. Some people here are living in some sort of fantasy la-la land, where the longer ago things happened the more ideal they become in your head, and you earnestly believe it can happen again one day.

Number one, Francis' history with the Rockets wasn't all that great. To be honest, over the last 20 years of basketball, I thought the teams where he was the "Franchise" were the worst style of basketball we have played. And this is compared to boring, grind it out, inside-out stuff too.

Secondly, what players have you seen deteriorate and decline over years and then suddenly make a resurgence and come back? Perhaps there might be an example or two, but overall, the overwhelming pattern is that when you're done, you're done. As others have aptly pointed out, Francis is not exactly a hot-commodity among GMs around the league. I wonder why.

Lastly, I really don't think that people are just irrationally hating on Francis because its fun and exciting. I think those who are "haters" are seeing the clear signs and acknowledging them. Sorry, but it's the Francis lovers who are way out in left field, blinded by an unrealistic romanticized hope.

I'm not saying it can't happen... miracles do occur every once in a while...

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Marking this post juuuuust in case Francis delivers in a Jason Terry backup kinda role.

9. echu888

echu888 Member

:D Feel free to call me out if this happens. Nothing vindicates a person more than what actually happens...

10. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I definitely see Steve Francis having a Jason Terry type backup role. With the way he has slimmed down. Man, I can't wait for this season to start. What about Bonzi Wells though? Anyway we can get Bonzi? :D

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Number one: No matter what sort of play Francis brings to the table this season, he won't be 'the Franchise' - there's at least 3 guys ahead of him in the pecking order... If he plays, it'll be in Adelmans system.

Secondly: what players have you seen have their playing time slashed, suffer an injury - have surgery to repair it, get back in shape and then play basketball again?

It's only a short time ago that he was 16-5-5 with Orlando - and then get traded to the Knicks for a painful season and a half.
    He played 27 and 28 mpg there, and was playing 'combo point' with Marbury much of the time (a shocking coaching decision for both of them...) - yet Francis still got to the free throw line almost 5 times per game (he was top 5 in the 'free throws per minute' stat during his time with the Knicks.)

He hurt his knee at the Knicks, and couldn't be bothered getting it right - he had his paycheck and wasn't motivated to play basketball.

The Knicks figure out "this thing ain't working" so they start looking to move Stevie. He is given the start at PG for the last 4 games of '05/06 and it's the 'old Stevie' - 25ppg on 50% shooting (37-46 from the free throw line), 5.5 rpg, 4apg, 1spg, 0.5bpg and 3tpg (old stevie!!)

Suddenly he finds himself returning to Houston - the knee is still no good, but he wants to play, so he attempts to soldier on.
    Eventually it becomes plainly obvious that he just can't carry on with one knee - so he takes the surgery and is told to get in shape for this season.

If he's "in shape" and motivated to play, I see no reason why he can't still be a good NBA player... It's not like his shot was MIA for 3 seasons or anything... We honestly don't need a 'miracle' - just for him to show up inspired to play basketball (like he obviously was in those last 4 games for the Knicks..)

How do the naysayers spin this to make out that he's got nothing left? I just don't get it...

And how can you say 'no GMs have any interest in him'???? We weren't the only team chasing his signature last off-season... Surely if you're making a wild statement like that then the onus is on you to prove that none have any interest...

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I'm amazed at how a lot of people on this board is counting Francis out. They're talking like Francis is 38 years old and there is no hope. HE'S ONLY 31 FREAKING YEARS OLD. Mcdyess had a more serious injury than Francis and he came back about the same age as Francis is coming back. He has played the last 4 seasons with the pistons and 2 of those were 82 game seasons. Now Mcdyess didn't come back the same player, but he looks healthy out there. I think Francis is going to come back strong and prove a lot doubters wrong.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I've NEVER been a Steve Francis fan in the past. I've tolerated him and hoped he would do better than he was capable of for the sake of the Rockets.

HOWEVER, I truly believe that should his body hold out, Steve will get some pretty major minutes and play an important backup role off the bench. There are many things you can buy with $31 million but a championship ring is not 1 of them. This will likely be as close as he will ever come to getting one and I don't think he wants it sitting on the end of the bench watching. He will be needed.

14. BrooksBall

Why say NO to Bonzi?

Blue = BAD
    Gray = AVERAGE
    Red = GOOD

Bonzi 07-08:

[​IMG]

Bonzi 06-07:

[​IMG]

Bonzi 05-06:

[​IMG]

Steve Nash 07-08:

[​IMG]

#534 BrooksBall, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  15. tobepg

tobepg Member

Yes, Mcdyess is a successful player, recovering from injury. Perhaps that will happen on steve. I believe, if he get rid of injury, he can reach the second peak in his career. "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

16. hanm2

hanm2 Member

He's right. The Blazer's paid him $17mil+ to stay away from the team.

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

You are saying we are blind. We can say the same thing about the haters. What do the unbelievers always say? (Besides, calling us blind)

"Francis is old." So is Rafer. Mutombo. Barry.

"Francis has an ego." So does Rafer. Artest.

"Francis sucked during his first stint with us... He'll still suck" Taking a scrub like Memphis team, to being an almost playoff team, that IMO is not a scrub. And when he did went to the playoffs, it's not like he choked. Almost averaged triple double.

"Francis just had surgery, no way can he be back in shape." Isn't surgery to fix the pain? Then rehab is to get back in shape.

"Be realistic. He's done." These comments makes me pissed, cause they don't even give us an explanation for their reasoning. I mean... even when he was injured, the last games with the Knicks, he was scoring 20+, including a game winner.

Your wrong. Blazers weren't interested to take a chance with Steve. (Him being a bust, him being a star) They were buying draft picks like crazy, and they wanted more roster spots. Thus, they did Stevie and themself a favor. (cause Steve also didn't want to be in a rebuilding team)

Other teams were offering the MLE (or close). For example, for sure, I know that the Clippers were very interested. As well as the Heat.

18. BrooksBall

Plus, echu888 didn't say nobody else was interested in Steve (which may actually be the truth), he only said that Steve is not a "hot commodity". It's hard to argue with that.

19. tobepg

tobepg Member

Now that we acquried Ron Artest, Bonzi becomes less useful.

20. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Yea, with Battier and Barry taking most of the back up minutes at the 2 and 3, there is no room for Bonzi.