1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis: "There's nothing wrong with me. I can still play"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cebu, Jan 10, 2015.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I remember when I wrote that Francis would never be a member of the U.S. National team, that he would never be on the All NBA team, and that he would never be in the HOF. That post was attacked without mercy, but it was the absolute truth. I had heard rumors about his substance abuse while he was at the peak of his career. The final outcome was very predictable. Hope he has cleaned up his act.

2. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

your memories must not remember what i saw...over dribbling, not knowing when to shoot or when to pass, best trait was his rebounding, could not shoot from three, indifferent defender...if he was playing on todays rockets, you guys would kill him. not very good player. highlights yes, winning? not so much. blaming others for his failures makes me laugh...the dude is a clown now and looks troubled. i feel badly about that. but my memory serves me well, tmac was so much better than stevie, cat and cato it was not even funny!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Also add. . . Orlando was on their way to the playoffs again
    until Weisbrod. . . who everyone around here thinks is a complete idiot
    chose to trade CAT . . .then the world drop out on that team and steve

Rocket River

4. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Y'all fans are horrible, making fun of this guy. He gave so much to our organization when we sucked, play 110% every night...sometimes, its the people around him in his circle that influenced him to go down this path he's on...obviously, he's not well. Houston fans sucks!

1 person likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree, to a point. Personally I probably would have joked it off and said "hey, i've moved on". But you know they're going to take anything you say and blow it up.

6. SunsRocketsfan

if I was being objective I absolutely agree.. Tmac was on a whole different level than Francis.
    But Francis did play with a lot of heart while he was here and thats why i think fans gave him a pass when it came to his shortcomings on the court.

Plus let's not forget he built the Toyota Center :rolleyes:

7. dragician

dragician Member

show off is not competitiveness..

8. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

He brought it every night unlike our failed hero in T-Mac...I blame his shortcomings to Rudy T's freestyle coaching. He just let Steve do his thing on the court, while exciting, he did created bad habits that conflicted with JVG vision and philosophy. He went to Orlando and had statistically had his best season as a pro, but when Mobley was traded, dude went downhill...

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

lol, it's not the guy who fell out the league's fault, it's the HOF coach and player Rudy T's fault....riiiiiiight....

10. Asian Sensation

Where's he riding the bus to??

Finer things to public transportation? Something's wrong.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cavAQx-_G5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. theimpossibles1

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5-1jgNhopNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VXGwmdmVfIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. dragician

dragician Member

... and he called in sick during the superbowl Sunday in Houston so he can partey... that's a mark of a true champion.

13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

He'll yeah. I never liked the trade and couldn't stomach Tracy or Jvg. Steve's Rockets were fun and full of passion. He loved Houston and the Rockets, and took up for Yao if anyone messed with him. To me Tracy's days were the dark ages of Rocket basketball. Tracy did just enough to get by, Jvg's offense was horrid and of coarse we all know they could never get out of the first round. Steve fell apart after the trade and I'm sure he still had a lot of growing up to due. Too bad he could never beat his own demons.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

When you can't play anymore they say you are the last to know...guess he is proving this comment correct!

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

sign him to vet minimum. bring em back.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sign him to the Vipers and see what it does to the viewer ratings.

17. denniscd

tcad...full of fun and passion? they never made the playoffs? whats fun about watching a guy dribble in place? you could not stomach mcgrady and his hall of fame talent and skill? what?

18. redglare92

redglare92 Member

Why not give him a chance to workout with the second unit..see if he's still got some wind in his sails? I hope he's doing alright these days.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wanted to see Steve/Cuttino/Yao/Rudy T team one more year, but they had to roll the dice on an allstar in his prime like Tmac.

I wonder if Rudy didn't have cancer and coached that team how well it would have done.

Everyone on this board (newer folk especially) had this romanticized version of TMac and JVG. Some of us remember some HORRIBLE offensive basketball.

If Rudy was healthy, or if we got Rick Adelman instead, we'd have a more balanced offensive team.

20. denniscd

no you guys romanticize the rudy stevie cat non playoff teams of years gone by. rudy is the best. cat was good to very good. francis could never win at a high rate as a point guard because he had a low basketball iq