1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis status for next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Jul 17, 2008.

?

What Role do you see Steve taking at his peak next season?

1. He becomes the starter (starting 5)

78 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. He becomes a key reserve (part of 8 man rotation)

279 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. He plays sparingly (part of 10 or 12 man rotation)

139 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Gets burried at benche's end for his tradeable contract

159 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Gets waived before end of season

82 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

SF3 is finished. I doubt he even makes the team. His game was based on quickness and athleticism but I have a feeling those two things have deserted him leaving him to rely on savvy and basketball smarts and we all know if thats what he's left with... he's finished.

2. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Stevie! Stevie! Stevie!
    We want Steve! We want Steve! We want Steve!
    Stevie Franchise! SF-3

We Believe! :D

3. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Steve is a player that relys on instinct and improvisation. Thats why he struggles with structered offense. He still has the talent and ability here is what he needs to do:

1.Needs to be in the shape of his life

2. concentrate on paymaking thru penatration.

3. shooting on thru dribble but mainly without the ball

4. cutting and movement within the offense

He needs to avg 12 to 15 points, 4 to 6 assists ,on 19 to 20 min a game and he will be fine

4. Chamillionaire

5. c0r0na21

c0r0na21 Member

Im all for this post right here i agree with everything you said stevie is a all star player hes not gonna lose his game that fast.....he'll be back this season !!!!!!

6. Th3 Drunk Goat

Rafer is the starter, he deserves that as long as the roster doesn't change. But Steve Francis when healthy is way more capable of being the backup point guard then Bobby Jackson (not a true point guard) and Aaron Brooks (still way to young to lead a team that has to win now).

7. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Rafer's starting job is gone. And he can thank Francis for that. He's going to snatch it right from him. I'd much rather have Francis/Mac/Yao/Scola/Battier out there than Rafer. Francis can get the pass to Yao and Mac, and when they are doubled, he'll make them pay by taking it to the hole STRONG,something Rafer can not do. Rafer and Stevie's long range are just about the same too.

He's not going to be a spark off the bench,he's going to be playing like he wants Rafer to sit his ass down and take 15 mins.

8. Rover16

Rover16 Member

This is the exact same talk that happened last year.....and look what happened? I really wonder when the francis fanboys will wake up and face reality. It's like they can't let go of the image they had of francis when he was here the first time. That dude is long gone now. All that's left is just a washed up player now that is a waste of a roster place.

9. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

I think you are lying to yourself if you think he is going to be able to outplay Rafer. The Francis I remember from last season would come down the lane out of control, couldn't quick shift and would just run into defenders and get an offensive foul. God bless him his heart is still there but the body isnt and even at his peak his decision making was suspect. I really hope I am wrong but rafer>francis.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If steve comes in shape the staring lineup needs to be

pg- rafer
    sg- SF3
    sf- T-Mac
    Pf- scola
    c- Yao

2nd line up rotation
    pg B jax
    sg- B Barry
    sf- S Battier
    Pf - Landry
    C Mutombo/hayes /dorsey depending on matchup

T-mac and Yao's minutes must come down to 30 minutes a game this will reduce chance of injury everyone else needs to play between 20 to 25 minutes

11. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

:confused:

if he averages those numbers in 20 mins...he will have the highest per in the league.
    now if you said those numbers in 30mins thats more realistic and even that is pushing it...at best I see steve if in shape, playing 24 mins and averaging 10pts 4ast 3boards

12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

You are probably right but I am still hoping for 12 points a game at least

13. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

No way McGrady and Yao are the only players in the 30 MPG. I expect all the starters to be playing in the 30 MPG, unless Francis really comes back strong, then Rafer can play about 24-26 MPG with Francis playing the other 22-24 at point guard.

14. franchise84

franchise84 Member

I hope Stevie can make the starting 5, if his knees are okay and he is willing to come back to a high level i think he will be a key factor. Just imagine:
    PG Steve Francis
    SG Tracy Mcgrady
    SF Ron Artest
    PF Luis Scola
    C Yao Ming
    That would be awsome!
    And here is my steve francis mix (this is my first mix) that i made lately:
    http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=VImz2iMQcKY

15. DreamYaoTmac5

DreamYaoTmac5 Member

Either waived, traded or in the dog house.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I can't answer this poll. My heart is telling me all-star numbers, but my head says waived or 12th man. If he comes around I'll be super happy but I won't hold my breath.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

At this point in time I just cant see SF3 as a starter. I love him as a player and hope that he is able to make as full a recovery as possible from this injury but the jury is still out. All that being said, if what has been rumored on this board is true and he is in better shape and actually getting some run on the court I think he could be an amazing 6th man. I think after this trade we may have a second unit that could compete for the playoffs in the east with SF3 playing about 20 minutes a game at the 1/2 with Barry.

Pos. Player (Mins)
    1-Alston (28) / Francis (20)
    2-McGrady (36) / Barry (12)
    3-Artest (24) / Battier (24)
    4-Scola (20) / Landry (20) / Artest (8)
    5-Yao (32) / Scola (10) / Dorsey (6)

18. Bigdaddy210121

Steve Francis it's time. Now is the time he'll have the best chance to get a ring. It's time to work out/ still rehab and come in camp in the best shape of his carrer.

Picture this:

Steve Francis - Comeback Player of the Year!
    Ron Artest - Defensive Player of the Year!
    Tracy or Yao - MVP!
    Shane Battier - 6 Player of the Year!

19. csux

csux Rookie

Don't care
    Don't care
    Don't care
    and Don't care

all i want is a couple more of larry obrien trophy that when i visit toyota center i can take my picture with and show it to my grand grand children.

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Steve was always my favorite player to hate. Rafer gets that distinction now, although he did redeem himself a little last year. :rolleyes: